looking to buy

/ looking to buy #1  

NIXON

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3130 hst
Hi All . I'm a total newbie as far as buying and owning a tractor . I own about 4.5 acres in western pa. It's all wooded. If you can call Aspen and Larch trees :) The site is an old strip mine (from 50 odd years ago ) What I'm looking for is a 4wd tractor in the 20-30 hp range. The uses for the tractor will be .... Tearing out a lot of the larch ,prepping the ground for replanting native hard woods , Post hole digging, maintaining an 800' gravel drive, snow removal, brush hogging,moving soil and rocks , the ability to operate a back hoe is also a consideration and generally anything else I that comes to mind . One thing I don't need is a mower deck. If it sounds like I'm looking for the Swiss Army Knife of Tractors, I suppose I am :)
Price IS an issue , But the ability to work ,and reliability are the first considerations . I don't want a machine that is under powered and consequently gets beaten to death. On the other hand I don't think a 40 hp tractor would be cost effective .
Any insights you folks have as far as brands ,hp ,and attachment are most welcomed .
feel free to E Mail me direct if you want .
Thank you ,and all the best . John (farret@nb.net )

/ looking to buy #2  
If price is an issue what's your price range? That there will narrow the considerations quite a bit.

/ looking to buy
Richard,
Price is fairly open to me . I'd like to keep things under 15k.
That obviously puts me in the used,or Grey market . Going to the various dealers in the area has been daunting to say the least . They seem to be a fairly stand offish bunch . Maybe it's because I'm used to dealing with car salesman :)
John

/ looking to buy #4  
That makes it pretty tough then. You pretty much have to look at used. I don't really see how you can find what you are looking for under $15k and get reliability as you are going to have to look at used. In order to take out trees and everything else you're looking at doing I personally wouldn't even attempt it with anything less than a mid 30 hp and up tractor, esp. if you are looking at a backhoe. Something like the JD 4310 would be the smallest I would go.

Attachments, even used, are going to eat up $2-4k of that budget. That leaves you with $11-13k for a 4wd tractor with a loader and there aren't very many of those around in the hp range you will need.

I don't know much about the grey market. Personally I wouldn't go there. I would look around for something by kubota, nh, or deere in that mid 30hp and up range. Get on the internet and look. Go to machinefinder.com and look at what deere has to offer. I'm not sure if the other mfg. have a dealer site like that or not.

The other consideration would be to get an older utility tractor. Most of them aren't 4wd but you can still get alot of work done with them. The problem there is you get into doing alot of work and such on them.

/ looking to buy #5  
Have you looked at the off brands? Mahindra, kioti etc. I personaly would recomend Mahindra, i love mine, but thats my feelings, i think you shound be able to get a 2310(25 hp) of a 2810 (28 hp) right around your 15,000.00, i paid 15300.00 for my 2810 with loader. and the 2310 was a little cheaper. about 900 less i think. Kioti, century, branson all have a decent product also, but i'm biased towards the mahindra. I think any way you go, look at new, if you can scrap by to do it. you get the benfit of a warranty, low financing ( 0 % on Mahindra for 2 years )and not someone elses headache. either way good luck.
Check out www.Mahindrausa.com it has a dealer locater.

/ looking to buy #6  
I see you're in Western PA. I think the Kubota B2100 HST I traded in might still be at Artmans in Murrysville. It's a great solid little tractor, has turfs and a Woods DuAl loader, around 260 some hours if I remember right. They're good people to deal with, an honest family bunch. And since I was the original owner I know the maintenance was always done on her, and she lived in a heated garage in the winter... was only driven by my mother to mow the grass on her way to church on Sunday...etc, etc. Seriously it's a good unit.

/ looking to buy
Rocky2..... I guess I'll have to make a trip to Murrysvilee !
Thanks, John

/ looking to buy
Richard, Thanks for the response . The 15k is for a tractor and loader only . attachments will be bought as $$$ allow .
Again thanks for the tips , John

/ looking to buy #9  
Can't hoyt. I would think you probably could look at that tractor/loader for under 10k. A couple of weeks ago I was down there and I think I noticed it peeking out from under the tent outside. I'm not drumming up business or anything, it's just that I know that unit well. I never had a lick of problem with it, went down there for fluids and filters and ended up upgrading to a 2910 and a backhoe.

/ looking to buy #10  
Well lets see.. A couple points to make first. 20-30 hp is great for your acerage.. the 30 hp side may even be high, if you were just mowing.. but you indicate a myriad of other uses. 1st... pulling out trees of any size will prove very difficult with a light tractor.
I have a 33hp NH 1920 and it is on the heavier side at 3300 pluss fluids + filled tires + impliments. And I still can't rip out anything of sufficient size to try. ( A backhoe will help with removing trees ). And as for the backhoe, get one fitted for your WEIGHT of tractor... for instance.. NH is very carefull about what backhoe you use with which tractor... And unless you are doing very light backhoe work, avoid the 3pt hitch backhoes.. as they can tend to break tractors inhalf if you don't know what you are doing... the more permanent sub-frame ones hold up better and augment the tractors fram anyway. Expect to pay in the 3-4ks for a good backhoe ( or more ).
A tractor like a NH TC 30 is close to what you are talking about.. but if new, with a loder and backhoe.. you'll miss the 15k mark.
Before I would go looking grey, I would look for used domestic. ( I got my 1920 from the dealer with a rebuilt engine for 9.5K... ) Sometimes you can get some good deals.
Massey fergussion makes a good basic tractor. Generally an early model massey f. will be in the 4-6k range.. and be nice big oily and heavy... and perform well.
If no domestics are around, look at imports and grey's.
Not sure of mahindras prices, but the look like decent machines.
I have a yanmar grey model.... if you go for a grey market machine, I make one advisement.... Be able to turn a wrench a little. I'm not talking about full mechanik'ing but be able to do some of the minor stuff yourself, as you may not find people to work on it for you. Parts are generally available for grey yanmars, and probably more readilly available for the old domestic yanmars... check on parts before you buy.

for all used equipment, Look at overall condition rather than hours of use.. it tells more.
Look for old repairs..and how they were done ( good repair vs. something rigged ).
The condition of the tractors wiring will tell alot about how the owner maintains the equipment...i.e... battery cables that are burnt and knicked up.. probably get jumped off alot...
Looks for leaks and check for bearing play on the fron't / rear wheels by a sideways rocking motion on the tractor.. you should feel no movement in the hub itself.
Check for play in the steering linkage. Look at the fluids.
Listen to it. Ask to drive it, or see it do some task... especially test the hydraulics,, and the lift.
There will generally be some leakdown on the lift. You want one that will at least stay up for a couple minutes absolute minumum... less indicated lotsa were in the valve or the piston/cylinder.
These are just basic ideas.. others will fill in with more info.

Soundguy