Mitsu MT372 vs Ford 801 with 12 speed

/ Mitsu MT372 vs Ford 801 with 12 speed #1  

tcnjdeluca

Hello,

I am very new to this so bear with me if I have no idea what I am talking about. I am going to be closing soon on a 4.5 acre home that is currently about half mowed and half brush. The house is also at the end of a long private ROW (1/4 mi) and the three homes on the end take turns clearing the snow. So I am looking for a machine that can help mow (and clear that brush) and well as help out with the snow removal. I have found two local ads. One for a Mitsubishi MT372 and a very clean Befco C50 mower deck for $2500 the other is a 1961 ford 801 with new tires, hydraulic pump and gauges with Sherman 12spd trans. (No Mower) for $2350 OBO. Eventually I would like to attach a plow or bucket to whatever machine I purchase to help with the snow.

Any opinions on which one of these is a better machine/buy for my needs. I could spend a little more if need be -- but I do like the price range these are in. Thanks for any advice/guidance.

Dan

/ Mitsu MT372 vs Ford 801 with 12 speed #2  
The Ford is a good tractor, I have a 861, which is the same with more options. I would not want a loader on it though. No power steering and a loader means you need arms like Popeye. They have weak hydros, and only 2 wheel drive. Actually only 1 wheel drive. I do not know about the Mits but both are going to be hard to find a loader for and if you do you are taking $5000. Same for the Ford.

If you want to be serious about this talk to the neighbors. You can move a lot of snow with the 801 and a 7' rear grader blade but much more then 10" at a time will be about impossible. It does sound like a decent buy if you can get it for say $2000.

My advise is start with it and then upgrade when its time for a loader.

Chris

/ Mitsu MT372 vs Ford 801 with 12 speed #3  
First off,the "12 speed" is really a 4 speed with a sherman combo trans in the bell housing. It has a 50% underdrive, 1:1 and 50% overdrive. The problem is that it also affects the PTO speed, so you really can't use it with things like a snow blower or rototiller. The ground speed is too high in 1:1 first and the pto is too slow in underdrive.

Next, that trans is not live. So if you are running a mower and step on the clutch,the inertial from the mower will drive the tractor forward. Scary if you don't understand that! You can add an overrunning clutch to the pto shaft so it won't drive you forward.

The 801 also is 2wd and does not have a locking differential,so traction will be low. Still good enough with chains, usually.

Even though the old Fords are great machines, you may be better served with a more modern machine or at least one with a 5 speed or SOS trans, for your first one.

/ Mitsu MT372 vs Ford 801 with 12 speed #4  
i bet you every part for that ford 841 is available EASILLY.. I wouldn't take a 5$ bet on the mitsi... in fact.. there are tons of salvage 00-01 fords out there..

the hyds are not particularly weak.. though they are slow at only 4gpm if you are wanting on board hyds. Many people attach a front crank driven stinger pump for loader hyds.. and that gives you mor ethan you need for speed. the front axle and king pin is not the greatest for a loader.. but it will tote one. I move 1000# hay bales with my ford 850 and loader

801 series is more likely to have optional power steering. I'd find out if that one did. the sherman is a nice addition. it's a 58-62 model.. very reliable and rugged red tiger engine.. the bulk of my tractor fleet is from 53-64 and built around the 6xx, 7xx, 8xx, and 9xx type tractors.

I know for a fact I'd buy the ford.. they are quite easy to work on and parts are cheap and plentifull..

when using a loader on a non ps machine.. just start rolling first then steer if you have a super heavy load.

in snow I'd advise loaded tires and chains.. and remember.. fords have steering brakes.. thus if a tire starts to slip.. hit it's brake a bit to xfer power to the other wheel. poor mans diff lock.. etc.. :)

that rice tractor is an 82-88 probably 4wd ( optional ).. and it will need it at a massive 1100#

it's rear centers are the same size as the fords FRONT centers.. IE.. 16" I have mid size tractors with larer FRONT tires than the rice burner has BACK tires.
with 15 engine and 12 pto hp, the 801 model is about 3 times the hp and weight.

I don't even see this as a choice.. :) you want a machette or a lawn mower? :)

soundguy

/ Mitsu MT372 vs Ford 801 with 12 speed #5  
My previous tractor was a Ford 8N (older version of 801). I used it for mowing and snow removal no front loader. I did not load the tires because of rutting the mowed area. Ice was the biggest traction problems and chains were much better than loaded tires for me.
4WD is nice but if I had to choose for my tractor use the Ford is the better fit,
for all the reasons that Soundguy mentioned.

/ Mitsu MT372 vs Ford 801 with 12 speed #6  
Not quite the same, but we farmed with a Ford 841 with power steering for several years and it was a great little tractor with plenty of power. When we quit farming, we sold it and that was one of the biggest mistakes we ever made.

We own a NAA and two 600 Series which are pretty good little tractors, but nothing like the 800 Series. I saw an 861 at our Kubota dealer not long ago and if I wasn't going t spend all my money on a new Kubota, I would have bought it; love those things.

/ Mitsu MT372 vs Ford 801 with 12 speed #7  
yep.. near twice the hp of an 8n.. and pretty much the same size / form factor of an 8n.. the 8xx series even have a heavier duty rear axle for getting the hp to the ground.. that and as standard, 2 sizes larger rear tires. IE.. 13.6-28 vs 11.2-28 on an 8n..

soundguy