Need a new zero turn mower(new or used)

/ Need a new zero turn mower(new or used)
Around here its by the minute. My neighbors rate is $1 per minute. He figures when he engages the blades to disengage the blades. So my 2.5 acre yard takes him 45 minutes its $45 if I were to pay him.

This is using real commercial mowers like the Ferris and Scag with 61 and 72" decks.

Chris

Okay thanks for the tip its something to keep in the back of my mind. Once again i wanna thank all of you guys for all the help! I really appreciate it!

/ Need a new zero turn mower(new or used) #42  
Around here its by the minute. My neighbors rate is $1 per minute. He figures when he engages the blades to disengage the blades. So my 2.5 acre yard takes him 45 minutes its $45 if I were to pay him.

This is using real commercial mowers like the Ferris and Scag with 61 and 72" decks.

Chris

Does that $1 per minute include weed eating and blowing the grass off the driveway and sidewalks? Ken Sweet

/ Need a new zero turn mower(new or used) #43  
Does that $1 per minute include weed eating and blowing the grass off the driveway and sidewalks? Ken Sweet

Yes, it that is specified done. He simply charges $1 per minute. Same with me when he subs me out to Bush Hog or do loader work. We also charge the same for snow removal.

Trimming and blowing by a good commercial mower on a quality ZTR only takes a few minutes tops, maybe 10. He is amazing with that thing, much better than I could ever be. When he mows my 2.5 acres I do the trimming and its a few minutes at the most. Mainly walking from tree to tree, ect.

I should be clear it does not very each and every time. When we bid a job we can just tell by looking at it how long its going to take. Most drives in my area for example take me 25 minutes to plow properly so they are $25. If it takes me 20 minuets or 30 minutes the next time its still $25 each and ever time I plow.

Same with his mowing. Now for loader work if he calls me in for a customer I tell them $100 minimum and go from there. We are very accurate in our guesstaments, we have been doing it for quite awhile.

Either way, if I am not making $1 per minute, $60 per hour its not worth my time or his, especially when you think of all the other expenses like trailering to the site, ect.

Chris

/ Need a new zero turn mower(new or used) #44  
Dutch,

I bet you can handle more than 5 yards. I was mowing 5 yards with a push mower in junior high and more like 20 by high school (plus working at the local small grocery store).

By college I was up to 30 yards, truck, trailer and doing light demolition work (not insured, not bonded, I don't recommend this). And this was with a crappy MTD rider.

I'd recommend a good mower and trying to get more than 5 yards. With a zero turn I suspect you could do more like 20 yards...might have to mow a few after school if you catch a rainy weekend.

/ Need a new zero turn mower(new or used) #45  
Lot of good adivce here, escpecially the $1/minute and keeping your blades sharp. My friend has a landscaping company and he told me he changes out the blades at the end of each day and throws a fresh set on. (Has a bunch of spares and when they all get used, he does a mass sharpening). You may want to consider a tip up deck. (The front mount decks with the single wheel under the driver have electric tip up decks). Grasshopper also has a tip up deck. Makes changing blades really easy and the front mounted mower deck makes getting under trees and shrusb much easier. The do go a little slower than a mid mount. (8mph vs 11mph), but even though mine can GO 11mph, I can't cut that fast. Too bouncy.

Last but not least - all the commercial guys I know run 60inch decks. A 72 is nice but if the terrain is a little uneven, they will scalp more than a 60. Unless you're mowing golf course lawns that are flat, I think a 60 would be the way to go.

/ Need a new zero turn mower(new or used) #46  
Oh, forgot to mention - for some reason the front mount styles are a little less than the mid mounts. Not really sure why but I've seen very sound 60 inch ferris's in the 2500-3000 range which is right what you're looking for. FYI - We may see a lot of ferris's around here because the factory is here.

Oh, forgot to mention - for some reason the front mount styles are a little less than the mid mounts. Not really sure why but I've seen very sound 60 inch ferris's in the 2500-3000 range which is right what you're looking for. FYI - We may see a lot of ferris's around here because the factory is here.

What type of ferris would be in the 2500-3000 range? Im going to dealer soon and need to know some prices.

/ Need a new zero turn mower(new or used) #48  
The Ferris 48" walk behind is in the $2500 range and the advantage of that is manuerverability on small yards, in/out of gates and fenced areas. Most of the lawn services have 1-2 walk behinds and 1-2 ZTR typically. You could easily start with this then add a ZTR once you have more clients. Also dont underestimate the "professional look" that the commercial machines will give your company..

The WB units are good starting units and you can get a sulky to stand on so you're not walking. One other point about the WB units is they may do less damage on wet soggy areas or small lawns where there are a lot of obstacles.

But if you are set on a ZTR I have seen commercial machines (Scag, Exmark Ferris, etc) 2-3 yrs old with 200-500 hrs selling in the $3-4K range and as others have said try to get one that had non commercial use.

/ Need a new zero turn mower(new or used) #49  
What type of ferris would be in the 2500-3000 range? Im going to dealer soon and need to know some prices.

I was talking about used ones. (About 800 hours on them). Saw them at a large kubota dealer. They were front deck, zero turn types with the single rear wheel that the seat mounts above. Not sure about the model # but the deck sits out in front and has an electric tip up feature that makes changing blades and cleaning out under the deck much easier.

OKay thanks for the help, ill be going to my dealer maybe today and ill see what they have to offer