Tractor vs Loader

/ Tractor vs Loader #1  

MikeBurr

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
Been looking at loaders on the net, thinking that they might do more of my type of play(Work) than a compact tractor. 99% of my usage is loader work with a little mowing other times. No plowing or other field work. My place is mostly grass with some rough areas, no big hills.
Anyone else using a loader for all their task? Would there be any down side to having a small loader, under 50hp, instead of a small tractor?
Looked at the power trac, nice but I think I might need a little more ground clearance.
It also looks like everything that can be used on a 3pt can also be had to work with a loader.

So, Why not a Loader?

/ Tractor vs Loader #2  
I had a skidsteer (Bobcat 453) and I traded it in for a BX22. I am much happier with the BX. The Bobcat destroyed the turf if I had to run over it and was much "tippier" on slopes.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

/ Tractor vs Loader #3  
When you say loader.. you are refering to a skidsteer loader.. say like a bobcat right?

Does it have a pto?

Soundguy

/ Tractor vs Loader #4  
About the only downside I can see between a SSL and a tractor is the cost of the implements, anything that is usually driven by tractor PTO has to be driven with a hydraulic motor on a skid-steer, all the implements that are available for the loader makes them alot more versatile that a tractor but I dont think I would prefer a loader if I ever planned on doing any gardening.

/ Tractor vs Loader #5  
I would say that the SSL is more versatile but the downside is the cost, especially the implements. I like the fact that most all SSL implements are hydraulic and not shaft (PTO) driven.
Another downside to SSL's is that they do tear up turf and buying a used one is difficult because they are usually used by people who really work/abuse their equipment. IMHO I would get a strong CUT 4X4 with a loader.

/ Tractor vs Loader
Guess I should have said a Wheeled Loader, not a skid steer. Something like the Kubota R420 / R520 Wheel Loaders.
The only problem I have with tractor design is that the small front wheels will travel over small dirt mounds and rock without problem. Then the LARGE rear wheels hit the same mound/rock and the whole tractor feels like it is heading for a side rollover, and it doesn't take a very big rock to cause this. Haven't really come close to a rollover yet, just the front goes over real easy and then suddenly the rear hits, pucker factor starts to kickin.
Most likly I will only need a hydraulic mower, most of my other task I make do with the bucket.
Just looking at all the angles of tractor usage......

/ Tractor vs Loader #7  
Do you think the 'loader' will go over the same rock and not give you the same feeling? Seems the rock will raise the loader the same distance as it does the tractor. The front axle of the tractor rotates about the center, so the tractor front end only raises 1/2 the height of the rock. But I expect the loader to be the same. Can you enlighten me a bit as to what the difference would be?

/ Tractor vs Loader #8  
You mentioned the tippy feeling when running over a rock. The Power Trac oscillates +- 12 degreees between the front and rear section. There is continuous ground contact of all 4 tires more often. Even though I have a small Power Trac, I've never had ground clearance problems. The turf never gets torn up and the front mounted implements are awsome. If you can, test drive one just for the fun of it.

You might also want to look at the Earth Force units. I think they are Bobcat owned now.

/ Tractor vs Loader
True, going over rocks will cause the tractor to pitch, but the main thing is that I can go over a 8 inch rock just fine with the small front wheels(and the axle pivits also), but the same rock will cause quite abit of pitch when the rear wheels go over it. I would think that having wheels of equal size would be a little safer.

/ Tractor vs Loader #10  
I don't think tire size makes any difference.

Since the front axle pivots, going over an 8" rock, for example, will raise the front of the tractor half that amount, or 4" straight up. The front goes straight up (ie doesn't tip) because the front axle pivots. Once the axle pivots to it's limit, any additional height as the tire goes over a bump (rock) will translate not only to raising the front of the tractor 1/2 that amount, but also some degree of tip. Going over the same rock with the back axle will raise the back of the tractor just as much as it raised the front of the tractor, regardless of tire size. The difference is that since the rear axle does not pivot, the tractor "body" will experience additional tip (compared to the front axle) as the back tire climbs over the obstacle.

OkieG