hst shift or manuel?

/ hst shift or manuel? #11  
I'd only go with a manual shift if you're going to spend long hours pulling a plow or other ground engaging equipment where the tad better efficiency of the manual would be to advantage. Doubt you're doing this with such a small tractor.

HST is MUCH easier to manage. I drove manual shift tractors in my youth and a 1970s one of my neighbors for a while before getting my own (HST) tractor.

HST does not stall out in low range. It will in high range if you push it beyond what the relief valve is designed for. Low range will pretty much hold it from rolling when the engine is off, but you also need to apply the parking brake.

HST is NOT an automatic transmission. It's a very heavy duty hydraulic system used in ships, tanks and other very heavy equipment. It's just a pump that sends approximately 3,000 psi fluid around to various systems: power steering, valves/slaves to make it go and FEL and 3ph lifts. Even with a manual transmission, you'll have all this but the valves/slaves bit to make it go. You'll never wear out a clutch.

Ralph

/ hst shift or manuel? #12  
"Does the HST stall out at a very slow speed?"
No, the HST excell's at delivering lots of torque at very slow speeds, and and instant later delivering lots of torque at high speed. That is one of its many benefits.

" Does the Manuel seem to lack power unless your using the clutch?"

I guess I dont understand this part of your question. The manual delivers nearly all of the engines power thru the geartrain, and if the clutch is new or in good shape there is no loss thru it either. Hydostats lose some power thru the system, gear tractors have very low losses thru the system. this is one of the positive points of a gear transission tractor. As there is very low losses, there is very little heat generated by the transmission.

As to which is easier to use, gives the most control, wears you out less, it is Hydrostat all the way. I guess I would say if you do not have the experience to know which one you like, then my answer would be go Hydro, you will be happier. I have had 4 tractors over a period of 19 years now, 2 gear, 2 hydro. My current tractor is hydro. My left leg wrote me a thank you note, after purchasing the hydro tractor last June.

James K0UA

/ hst shift or manuel? #13  
This is one of those personal preference questions, so personal preference and opinion are the only responses that you will get.

In today's America, very few people drive cars or pickups with manual transmission. In fact we have a whole generation or two with MOST people being unfamiliar and incapable of using a clutch pedal. In Europe it's quite the opposite. With $8 a gallon gas, they need all the fuel economy they can get, so automatic transmissions are quite uncommon.

I taught both of my kids in manual transmission cars and they are stick shift afficionados. They enjoy the comments from their friends about their ability to drive cars with three pedals.

For me, the simplicity, ruggedness and economy of a manual transmission makes it an easy choice. I recently bought a new John Deere 5045D. It was way cheaper than other tractors of its size and works great for me.

If you are comfortable using a clutch pedal, don't let others lack of that capability sway your own personal preference. YOU will be the one operating it. Get what YOU are comfortable with.

/ hst shift or manuel? #14  
The guys here are all putting forth good perspective.

However, the OP was focusing on a particular tractor, so I have my doubts as just how applicable making comparisons to other, and much larger, equipment operates with CV, HST,Shuttle or other kinds of machines.

The OP admits to being green about tractors. He also pointed us to a specific model, not just tractors in general. That he is looking at the B2320 tells me a awful lot. It tells me he is looking at the first tractor above a BX sub-cut, Kubota's smallest CUT and what one actually does with a small, small CUT.

This tells me a lot about what the expected purpose of the tractor is. Until told otherwise by the OP, I'll hold my tongue until he posts back.

Otherwise, frankly? This is merely another boring, HST vs Gear debate, in which I have no interest, no offense intended to anyone.

/ hst shift or manuel? #15  
I have happily owned a Mahindra 2810 with a hydro for 4 years now and the choice to move from manual to hydro was a no brainer for me. 45 years on gear tractors and the chance to change to a hydro, well i jumped at it.
In my application now we do a lot of finish mowing and i don't like a weed wacker either so, a hydro is just it! on my tractor the loader is on all the time, ready for use with 2 different bucket sizes, a set of pallet forks of a blade. Work at our place changes so quickly responce is what is needed. I do see a bit of power loss in the hydro but, after a bit of using you learn to work around it enjoying every minute of the comfort.
On my tractor the hydro pedals are on the right and there are 2 brake pedals on the left. I don't believe i have used them to date. 3 ranges in the tranny give you just the right speed and puch the cruise button and enjoy the ride The picture on the left we are heading to the woods a couple of miles away. The forks are on and big bucket on a pallet to go too. ready to hook to the dump trailor and go. The next pictures , i didn't have the loader yet. one is a field at home i mow and the others are of digging a cellar out to pour a new wall under the house. Sorry i don't have more pictures up but . . .i can't find them. . .John :thumbsup:.

Attachments

• my life 018.jpg
    my life 018.jpg
    754.3 KB · Views: 106
  • my life 011.jpg
    my life 011.jpg
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 102
  • a day at home mowin.jpg
    a day at home mowin.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 102
  • What a mess we get in to 024.jpg
    What a mess we get in to 024.jpg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 113
  • What a mess we get in to 028.jpg
    What a mess we get in to 028.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 106
   / hst shift or manuel? #16  
HST does not stall out in low range.
Ralph

I can stall mine in low range. As long as you have traction, you can stall it. I have done it digging into a snow pile as well as into the wood pile.

/ hst shift or manuel? #17  
I bought a manual. Mostly I'm happy with it, but there have been times using the FEL changing directions often, I've wished for the HST. If I had it to do over, I'd get the HST.

/ hst shift or manuel? #18  
The HST transmission allows you to focus 100% of your attention on the job you are doing. Especially with loader work, you can keep one hand on the steering wheel, one on the joystick, and one foot on the HST pedal(s). I also have a large industrial backhoe with shuttle shift and an electrical clutch operated with a button on the side of the FEL joystick or the gear shift lever. It is very easy to operate, but cannot hold a candle to my HST tractor for ease of operation and the ability to do fine positioning. I say that if you want to mostly pull a plow or mow big open fields, buy the gear tractor. If you want to do jobs with a loader bucket, snow plow, or pallet forks and also a boxblade or tiller on the 3PH, then your choice should be HST. If you mow with a rotary cutter or belly mower and do lots of maneuvering around obstacles or forward/back work, then the HST is still the choice in my opinion.:)

/ hst shift or manuel? #19  
both HST an gear have their good points an bad points.if your doing loader work with a clutch your gonna kill your leg.HST doing loader work is a breeze.an its not hard on your leg.i have yet to really use the cruise control much.because im not doing work where i can.main thing is people can feel safe an comfy about driving them.yes HSTs will stall out if you have them in to high of a range.but that is something tobe learned.

/ hst shift or manuel? #20  
When I bought mine last spring I was thinking the exact same thing. I wanted a gear B2320. I was looking around at dealers but I just could not find one close by. I don't know what it is but I just like the manual transmissions...my 2 year old pickup is a manual...and to think of it I've never had an auto. Every other tractor I had ever used was manual, I guess except for a couple riding mowers.

I eventually ended up letting the dealers talk me into a hydro model which has been great. I still kind of wish I got the manual but when working with the loader I'm glad I have the HST. It all comes down to personnal preference.