hst shift or manuel?

/ hst shift or manuel? #21  
...if your doing loader work with a clutch your gonna kill your leg.

Flipping my power reverser with my finger is going to kill my leg? :confused:

Let's not forget that not all "gear" tractors are created equal. Loader work with a non-shuttle gear tractor where you have to shift an "H" pattern transmission into reverse and back definitely would lose its novelty quick. But most modern gear tractors are shuttles, synchro or hydraulic. Even with a synchro you can forward-reverse shift while the tractor is moving. My '73 IH 454 is a non-synchro shuttle, and it doesn't bother me to do loader work at all. Just have to be at a standstill to shift forward-back.

/ hst shift or manuel? #22  
Flipping my power reverser with my finger is going to kill my leg? :confused:

Let's not forget that not all "gear" tractors are created equal. Loader work with a non-shuttle gear tractor where you have to shift an "H" pattern transmission into reverse and back definitely would lose its novelty quick. But most modern gear tractors are shuttles, synchro or hydraulic. Even with a synchro you can forward-reverse shift while the tractor is moving. My '73 IH 454 is a non-synchro shuttle, and it doesn't bother me to do loader work at all. Just have to be at a standstill to shift forward-back.

You beat me to it.

I do lots of loader work and find my hydraulic shuttle quite nice to use.

/ hst shift or manuel? #23  
If you can hire Manuel to do the work for you, I definitely think that's the better option over HST. As long as Manuel is qualified to do the work.

Sorry, I had to do it. :D

/ hst shift or manuel? #24  
If you can hire Manuel to do the work for you, I definitely think that's the better option over HST. As long as Manuel is qualified to do the work.

Sorry, I had to do it. :D

Funny... I made the same connection when I first read the thread title!

/ hst shift or manuel?
Each reply adds info that is showing me that the people that have hst do think its an ok thing to have or not just ok but they really like it. i have also been a gear person for a long time but i do know progress. i have a sportsman quad that if it was a shift model it would be the best. i hate the weak belts they have and i have never had problems with gears.

I figured that if anyone was having problems with the HST it would shine through here. i will most likely be doing a lot of in close back and forth work with mine. i won't be plowing big fields or really doing much steady long distance work.

I appreciate all of the responses even if it seems like its just a shot in the dark trying to figure out what the best way to answer the original question might be. its the shot in the dark answers i was hoping to have because it will answer questions i cant think of because i don't know the HST system. So keep answering!!!...:)

/ hst shift or manuel?
ha...No guys...Manuel would be me.....

I kinda miss worded that original question. I was kinda trying to get at the point of does the clutch wear you out in close tight work. Is it easy to use? Does the Clutch have more power? Is the clutch model geared lower than the Hst?

Does slow work with the HST burn something out? I know on my sportsman quad if I go slow with the clutch it burns the belt...Thats what I am getting at. Yes I am totally green so throw some of the good and bad points of each system at me...That way I can have this wonderful knowledge all the rest of you guys have.

Last edited:
   / hst shift or manuel? #27  
ha...No guys...Manuel would be me.....

I kinda miss worded that original question. I was kinda trying to get at the point of does the clutch wear you out in close tight work. Is it easy to use? Does the Clutch have more power? Is the clutch model geared lower than the Hst?

Does slow work with the HST burn something out? I know on my sportsman quad if I go slow with the clutch it burns the belt...Thats what I am getting at. Yes I am totally green so throw some of the good and bad points of each system at me...That way I can have this wonderful knowledge all the rest of you guys have.

Actually your Sportsman has CVT rather than HST and yes idling will wear your belt; I had a Sportsman 700 myself. My Grizzly has a different system and their is no slippage or wearing on the belt, but it is still an CVT rather than HST. Idling an HST causes no problems nor does running it at very low speeds as the HST is powered by pumps. There is a thread on here comparing the CVT to HST, but the CVT on our ATV's are different than that on tractors and such; similar in function, but different in how they are driven.

There are different clutch types on geared tractors, our MF375 is different than our M8540, but slipping the clutch will wear it out prematurely. When used properly, wear is not a significant issue. Our 375 was bought new in 1985 or so and has never had the clutch replaced; same with our Case 995 which is a mid 60's tractor.

As to if the clutch/geared unit is geared lower than the HST, that is a function of the transmission and how it is geared. I have a geared tractor that is not geared very low and one that is geared so slow, you can outrun it on a slow walk if you have in in the lowerest gear and range.

/ hst shift or manuel? #28  
both HST an gear have their good points an bad points.if your doing loader work with a clutch your gonna kill your leg.

Only if you're a wussy...real men develop the strength and stamina.

/ hst shift or manuel? #29  
Only if you're a wussy...real men develop the strength and stamina.

thats ok my clutch leg has been gone for years.an once it goes completely like mine did,you can no longer drive clutch tractors.

/ hst shift or manuel? #30  
thats ok my clutch leg has been gone for years.an once it goes completely like mine did,you can no longer drive clutch tractors.

I'm 61...been running manual trucks for 40 some years and manual tractors for the last ten. Reckon I'll make it for another ten years or so...

Anyway, my post was a joke...I'm always getting on HST wussies.