hst shift or manuel?

/ hst shift or manuel? #1  

rogerL1961

Tractor
kubota b7610 hst
So i am hoping to hear from all of you thoughts about the transmissions. Auto or manuel? Which is better overall.

Does the HST stall out at a very slow speed? or Does the Manuel seem to lack power unless your using the clutch?

I know nothing about this tractor type so please educate me..Thanks.

Im hoping to buy a Kubota B2320

/ hst shift or manuel? #2  
If my choice was HST or manual. I would definetly got with the HST. Much easier to work with.

/ hst shift or manuel? #3  
If you are new to tractors, I would go with the HST as well.

HST is better if you do a lot of direction changing. Like mowing and FEL work. But it does take more power to run a HST. Therefore you will have a little less power avaliable at the PTO.

Gear tractors are nicer for field work. Long straight runs at a constant speed. Typically it is easier to maintain a constant speed with a gear. But they arent quite as efficent for tasks like FEL work.

And the gear tractors do NOT seem to lack power. Tractors are geared VERY LOW. I rarley even use 1st and 2nd gear. And the newer tractors are not like the older ones. The shuttle shift does make going from forward to reverse MUCH easier than older tractors. But still not quite as nice as a HST.

Personally, I would go to the dealer and request to test drive both types around the lot a bit. Go with whatever one you feel most comfortable with.

/ hst shift or manuel? #4  
I think much of the preference for HST or manual has to do with your experience and what you plan to do with the tractor. Personally I like the Manual shift with power shuttle if you can get it since that is what I have always used. That is where you select the gear range you want for the correct speed and then you have the option of shifting forward / reverse without clutching. Next best (IMO) is mechanical gear with shuttle shift which has same feature but you have to clutch to shift from F to R. You dont loose any power in the transmission like you do with HST (about 5 hp difference). I did drive my BIL's NH 2030 HST moving some dirt for about 30 minutes and my right leg was exhausted with all the shifting and twisting motion required to shift forward to reverse and then the low range needed to scoop up the dirt was not fast enough to travel to the dump pile so had to shift ranges. I liked the power shift on my old Yanmar but only found one new tractor that offered it (MF 1600 series with Cab) and didnt like the layout when I looked at them. I dont like the Hst as you are constantly holding your right foot on the HST pedal,unless it is on cruise which is only used for like mowing, and all the tractors I looked at when I bought my LS Tractor, the ones that had 2 brakes, they were on the same side as the HST pedal which was pretty strange in that you would have to bring your left leg over to use them I guess it all depends on whether you want to do all the work with your feet or split it up and work some of it with your hands.
Also if you are used to brakes being on the right and the HST model has them on the left, you have to relearn the brakes. The mechanical shift f to r with hand while HST uses the right foot in most cases. The one issue with HST that turned me off completely was that some HST tractors dont have steering brakes. While some folks say that is not an issue and never use them, if you ever get into a slippery situation, you will be proud to have the steering brakes to help push the front end in the direction you want to go. Personally a tractor without steering brakes is not a real tractor. The last issue is that IMO, gear drive are simplier and cheaper to maintain than HST which has to have more frequent oil changes and the filters are usually high dollar items. They have to warm up for quite a while prior to use on really cold days also which is not an issue with gear drive, a couple of minutes and they are ready to go to work.

/ hst shift or manuel? #5  
Most things I like about the hst. I like it when you want to get up close to things you can control it better ,no clutch to play with. You can go as slow as you want or as fast all in the pedal. Change direction quick all on one pedal freeing up your hand from shifting .I like the Idea that it's fluid that changes you from forward to reverse no gears to grind ( new ones are better than the old ones) . Some have things like no stall guard so it makes it easier. Just some of the things I like.
Things I don't really care for is the loss of power to your pto. The servicing is high when you have to change the hyd fluid and filters . But all and all I'm happy with it .:thumbsup:

/ hst shift or manuel? #6  
99% of riding lawn mowers are also hydrostatic!!!

Please go test drive the difference. If you can even find a gear.:)

Seriously. An hydrostatic transmission is standard on sub compact tractors and dominate on compacts. There is a reason. Welcome to the 21st century tractor.

Last edited:
   / hst shift or manuel? #7  
Use the "search" feature and set in for a couple of days of reading. Some discussion is on here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/193363-i-am-looking-into-buying-7.html

We have several tractors with all types of transmissions; each has its place. We love our L5030 HSTC as well as our M8540 HSDC; each type excels in certain areas.

Overall I prefer HST, but for power to the ground, day in day out ground engagement, you can't beat gears.

There was also a recent discussion on the CVT.

Good luck.

/ hst shift or manuel? #8  
A Kubota B2320.

OK, I have a B2320. I believe if you are looking at that model is it because it is the only small Kubota that offers a gear model. You may be thinking that if you buy a gear, the price is lower, by a grand, and that prices it at or below a large BX and you'd get a bigger tractor. It is a tempting offering by Kubota. I'm guessing this question is largely about money.

But, you are either getting a mowing deck or Front End Loader or both? Right? If you live in the north, are you going to plow snow? You're going to be backing up to buildings, maneuvering around trees and cars, backing up to mount 3 pt attachments and generally using it as a small, utility tractor, because that is what you'd be buying. OK, so let's imagine doing all this with a gear. You'd be riding the clutch a lot and those are expensive to replace.

If you can imagine how you are going to have enough hands to operate the FEL lever, another hand to hold the steering wheel, another to change the gear shift from F to R, and push the clutch with one foot and brakes with the other.

Your potential re-sale of a gear B2320 would be bleak. That's just honesty.

Here's a picture of what delivery day looks like!!!:D

/ hst shift or manuel? #10  
If you can imagine how you are going to have enough hands to operate the FEL lever, another hand to hold the steering wheel, another to change the gear shift from F to R, and push the clutch with one foot and brakes with the other.

Your potential re-sale of a gear B2320 would be bleak. That's just honesty.

I can do that :laughing: I steer with left hand and the shuttle lever is close enough to the steering wheel I work it with two fingers, that leaves two fingers for the wheel and a thumb left over :laughing:

I think it is about impossible to find a factory cab smaller CUT with gear drive. So, if a factory cab is something you are considering, the transmission choice will be made for you.

HST and automatic transmissions are taking over from lawn mowers to dump trucks, I would guess bp_fick is giving you good advice on resale values - especially for the size tractor you are looking at.
Dave.