Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

Default Re: Sub-compact tractor

I'm having a hard time justifying a BX2200.

I see this alot and it really make me wonder. Why do you have to justify it? I can understand if you're doing this for a living and trying to make a profit but 99% of the guys on here only use their equipment for "fun" and their acreages. If you can afford it buy what you want. If it's a business buy what you need to get the job done.

Thomas, here is a picture of my Power King when it was new (1957). My father bought it new and I bought it from him about 20 years ago. It has always been in the family.

Hope I am successful attaching the picture.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's great; love the picture, John.

Cowboydoc……… Let me explain what I mean by justifying. Can I afford to buy whatever equipment I want? Yes! However, I am married and my wife and I have a certain amount of discretionary funds that we use to “buy what we want”. If I use the lion’s share on my wants it leaves little for the things my wife wants. I choose to throttle back on my wants for that reason. The BX2200 is way more tractor than I need to maintain my property. Even though my wife is very supportive of this purchase, I feel obligated to justify the amount of money I am spending.

John

Tractor
    Deere 4310 HST MFWD

my wife wants a backhoe...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

Jeez Doc,,,, Don,t you just hate it when common sense prevails ?? I'm gonna make sure my wife never sees JWE's last post ! It could start a bad trend
    JWE ... Actually you make a very good point !
    But, I'm also looking ,and to be honest I don't think I'm as unselfish Still ...gotta applaud your honesty . Looking forward to reading more if your post ,as I know they'll be equally up front . All the best, John

Gold Member
    Tractor
    access to our whole Kubota fleet

JWE
    Great picture, I also like to see the "older iron" and especially if it is family.
    Lewis

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    NH TC25D

<font color=blue>my wife wants a backhoe... </font color=blue>
    So does mine, she just doesn't know it yet! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Having read all the responses to your questions, and having an all-wheel steer deere 445 with a 54" mower, and considering the hills that you say you have, I would strongly suggest you at least look and try the Deere x485 or x495. The all-wheel steer is a solid unit (2wd with positraction if needed) and will handle the blade, the tiller, and the mower with ease. It is a very stable unit on hills.

There are many other good suggestions here for you to consider as well.

beenthere... Yes, the JD X's are nice tractors. When I started looking a couple of months ago I test drove the X485 and got pricing on the 495. in my area JD does not discount much. The price of the 485 was $9200 with mower and the 495 was over $10,000. The 495 is more expensive than the 4WD BX2200 and the new JD 2210. I am still considering the 2210 but one drawback is that the JD dealer is 25 miles from me. The kubota dealer is 2 miles away.

Thanks for your input.

John

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast