Sub-compact tractor

/ Sub-compact tractor #11  
I'm having a hard time justifying a BX2200.

I see this alot and it really make me wonder. Why do you have to justify it? I can understand if you're doing this for a living and trying to make a profit but 99% of the guys on here only use their equipment for "fun" and their acreages. If you can afford it buy what you want. If it's a business buy what you need to get the job done.

/ Sub-compact tractor
Thomas, here is a picture of my Power King when it was new (1957). My father bought it new and I bought it from him about 20 years ago. It has always been in the family.

Hope I am successful attaching the picture.

John

Attachments

• 46-213924-John'sPowerKing6-15-1957MyersLn.jpg
    46-213924-John'sPowerKing6-15-1957MyersLn.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 192
   / Sub-compact tractor #13  
That's great; love the picture, John.

/ Sub-compact tractor
Cowboydoc……… Let me explain what I mean by justifying. Can I afford to buy whatever equipment I want? Yes! However, I am married and my wife and I have a certain amount of discretionary funds that we use to “buy what we want”. If I use the lion’s share on my wants it leaves little for the things my wife wants. I choose to throttle back on my wants for that reason. The BX2200 is way more tractor than I need to maintain my property. Even though my wife is very supportive of this purchase, I feel obligated to justify the amount of money I am spending.

John

/ Sub-compact tractor #16  
Jeez Doc,,,, Don,t you just hate it when common sense prevails ?? I'm gonna make sure my wife never sees JWE's last post ! It could start a bad trend :(
JWE ... Actually you make a very good point !
But, I'm also looking ,and to be honest I don't think I'm as unselfish :) Still ...gotta applaud your honesty . Looking forward to reading more if your post ,as I know they'll be equally up front . All the best, John

/ Sub-compact tractor #17  
JWE
Great picture, I also like to see the "older iron" and especially if it is family.
Lewis

/ Sub-compact tractor #18  
<font color=blue>my wife wants a backhoe... </font color=blue>
So does mine, she just doesn't know it yet! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Sub-compact tractor #19  
Having read all the responses to your questions, and having an all-wheel steer Deere 445 with a 54" mower, and considering the hills that you say you have, I would strongly suggest you at least look and try the Deere x485 or x495. The all-wheel steer is a solid unit (2wd with positraction if needed) and will handle the blade, the tiller, and the mower with ease. It is a very stable unit on hills.

There are many other good suggestions here for you to consider as well.

/ Sub-compact tractor
beenthere... Yes, the JD X's are nice tractors. When I started looking a couple of months ago I test drove the X485 and got pricing on the 495. in my area JD does not discount much. The price of the 485 was $9200 with mower and the 495 was over $10,000. The 495 is more expensive than the 4WD BX2200 and the new JD 2210. I am still considering the 2210 but one drawback is that the JD dealer is 25 miles from me. The Kubota dealer is 2 miles away.

Thanks for your input.

John