Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    L4610,BX2200,ZD28F

Default Re: Sub-compact tractor

"Even though my wife is very supportive of this purchase". Don't hold back,you can let your "Mad Money" build up again and buy your wife a nice gift down the road,can you say,Backhoe? 3-point Sprayer? Core Aerator?

MReeter & everyone else.... I'm new to this board. Looks like I'm getting an education in how to properly justify what I need for my compact tractor. I'm learning!

This board is a great resource and a lot of fun. I wish I had come across it sooner.

John

Tractor
    New holland TC29-9x3 Woods 1012 FEL, Woods, 7500 Backhoe / Kubota L345DT 4WD, Kub FEL, Kub Backhoe

I think you should be looking at the I'm married, this is yours/this is mine situation fron a different point of veiw. Even if your wife does or doesn't get involved in operating the new tractor Something to be wary of by the way, as you will lose more and more of your valuable seat time. In reality once you have the new tractor and she sees just what it can do, I think you will both be amazed at how many projects she can come up with. Therefore making the new tractor more of a shared commodity.

And once you have your new tractor and and find out just how versitle it really is, you may find yourself, like, many TBN'ers wishing you hadn't limited yourself in both size and capability. Therefore a step up to the kubota B7500 or a New Holland TC21 or TC24 may actually be more practical.

And lastly If I were you I would really consider a front loader. As will be echoed by many a TBN'er, a loader can be the single most effective tool you will ever purchase. Plus many years from now your back will thank you over and over again.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910, also Honda HT3813 with mower and front blade.

JWE,

Welcome. You'll find all sorts of great advice on this board, and most of us are pretty good at spending other people's money.

About 3 years ago I started looking at "garden tractor" size units by Deere, Wheel Horse and others. I found that those units cost about as much as the BX's and, for my purposes, didn't offer as much versatility as the compact utility tractor class.

I had convinced myself that I "needed" a loader and backhoe. I wanted a machine mostly for digging and snow removal. To make a long story short, I ended up with a kubota B2910. For me, knowing this was most likely a lifetime investment and also knowing how well these units keep their value, I thought this was the most bang for the buck. I only have 2/3 of an acre, so it is a bit overkill, but I've never regretted my purchase.

There are a lot of good machines out there. The trick is to buy a good machine that you like from a good dealer that you like.

Good Luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions and do lots of searches. You'll find many of us were in the same situation.

~Rick

Tractor
    Kubota BX 2200

JWE,

I was in the same shoes you are in March 2002. I had a Case/Ingersoll for 12 years, 16 hp, 2 wheel drive, 60 inch deck, snow blower, tiller , cab. I sold it and purchased a BX 2200 with a 60 inch deck, FEL, also have a First Choice 48 inch tiller and 54 inch Puma snow blower. It was expensive, yes, but what a nice machine it does everything I wanted and then some. I went from cutting the grass, a bit over 2 acres in 2 hours to 1 hours with the BX, with a superior cut. The tiller on the Case was a pain to take off and put on, with hydraulic lines and removing the deck, the BX 3 pins and the PTO and I can leave the deck on! What a nice job it does tilling, much better then the Case unit. The FEL, well I thought I would not use it that much, but what the heck and I got it after reading the various posts here. Well the first time I got 10 yards of mulch and put it all down in a little over an hour, I was sold. It would have taken me weeks to load the cart up wheel it over, dump and spread it out. With the FEL just picked it up and dumped and spread it with a rake, MUCH easier and a lot of fun, did I say mulching was fun??? I hope the snow blower will prove to be a great addition * no snow yet***, but I know I will miss the cab on the Case, well perhaps a cab for the BX next year??? I also looked at the B7500 and went back and forth but decided on the BX. The BX22 would have been great 15 years a go when I was planting and landscaping, but could not justify the hoe, although it looks like fun! The JD unit looks like a nice machine from what I have read here, may be worth checking out. Does the kubota dealer have a good price on the BX 2200? Check out this web site http://www.kazez.com/~will/kubotalinks.html for prices to see how the deal looks and do not forget about Carvers, they are listed on the web site, good prices and great people to deal with. I did not buy my tractor from them , but have purchased some implements from then as well as Sweet Tractor, also listed on the web site.

Hope this helped. Good luck, remember looking is half the fun. Let us know what you decide on and welcome to the TBN family.

Tom

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    L4610,BX2200,ZD28F

JWE,Believe it or not,there is a fellow in the small town that we live outside of,that has a BX22 (TBL) that lives on a very small city lot.I stopped one day just to check out the new machine,and visit for a short while.

He proceded to tell my about the drainage problems he was having around the foundation of his house.Seems that the only way to "fix" the problem was to dig up all the old footing drains,removing all the shrubs,sidewalks,etc.

He had 3 different bids from contractors to perform the work,the lowest bid being at 10K.He said for that kind of money,he could buy his own equipment and do the work himself.Which is exactly what he did. BTW,he did a great job also.

I asked him if he was now going to sell the kubota now that the big project was complete,and his reply was "Why would I want to do that? I love just coming out here and setting on it,and starting it up,whether I do anything or not"

Point being,everyone has their own reasons for justifing a purchase such as this,if you feel the "need" don't look back,you will love every moment you spend "working" on your property,no matter what brand of compact you end up with.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    TYM 723

Hear hear, the voice of experiance!!
    I second that. You will be amazed what your loved ones will dream up for you to do once they realize what you CAN do with your machine. JWE, your wife will seriously benefit from your purchase. Might as well take a collection bucket to your neighbors and relatives while you are at it. They will benefit also. I know mine do!!

Tractor
    1954 NAA Ford,2120 42hp 4WD Ford,BX1800 4WD Kubota

Yes,the wife is important with a tractor.I have to ask to use the BX1800 in the spring,summer and fall months.My projects have to be worked around her projects.Be careful what you buy or the same thing will happen to you.Good thing I have a Ford 2120 for mine own.This does have a shuttle shift,but you still need to use the clutch when you want to stop.She has a bad left leg,clutch is hard for her.We have the 54 inch deck due to the fact SHE mows in alot of places that is uneven.She mows a mile of stone walls and a pasture that we are claiming back as a field.If I did not have the 2120 we probaly would of bought the next up from a BX.It's a nice tractor,but I use my 2120 for the big jobs.But,I like the BX because I can go across a place that I have just leveled out and can't even tell.

JWE, I am in a similar stuation to you and others. I have a 2WD garden tractor and am very interested in the 4WD subcompacts. In my case, I have held out because I would prefer to see what I can do with a loader before I make a decision about a backhoe attachment. With the kubota BX22, you have to buy it all at once, or not at all. If the JD 2210 turns out to be a good machine, and the rumors about a separate BH option become reality, I will give it serious consideration.

I am overwhelmed and grateful for all of the information that I have received. Time permitting, I will stop by the kubota dealer tomorrow and check out the FEL.

How much do they cost? Is there any downside to adding the FEL at a later date? I assume that I could install it myself?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast