Sub-compact tractor

/ Sub-compact tractor #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have been looking at tractors for the past couple of months. Started out looking at 2WD models but am now focused on 4WD. So far I have looked at the BX2200, JD 2210 and the Cub 7254. I am leaning toward the BX2200 at the moment.

I currently have two tractors, a 1957 Power King with 16 inch Ag tires that I use for heavy work and a 1988 Wheel Horse 310-8 that I use for mowing and pulling a small cart (1 acre). My intent is to replace both tractors with one unit that can do everything. I live in Western PA and my property is very hilly so stability and traction are important to me.

Plan on getting, belly mower, tiller and front blade

Questions

Stability – If you own one of these models and operate on hills, how stable has your tractor been? Both of my tractors are stable on my hillsides but the sub-compacts seem to have a higher center of gravity. (may be an illusion on my part) I assume the traction is good on all 4WDs.

Tillers – The soil in Western is clay. The tillers that I have looked at are mostly 48 inch. Anyone used a PTO tiller in clay soil? How did it perform? In the case of the BX2200, is 22 HP enough power. I have a tiller for my Power King that has it’s own 5.5 HP engine. It does a good job on previously tilled ground but does not do as well in unplowed soil and it only takes a 16 inch cut.

Tires – I have a choice of turf or AG tires. Should I consider R4? 60% of the time the tractor will be used for mowing grass (about 1 acre).

Mower – I prefer a smaller deck (54 inch). A couple of people suggested that I go with a 60 inch deck because it gives a better cut. Is that true?

Implements – Is there a better place to buy implements, other than the dealer?

/ Sub-compact tractor #2  
Welcome to TBN!

You are looking at some fine tractors. You might also want to look at the NH line. They are very comfortable besides being well built.

I'm partial to my own tractor, but looked at the BX, JD and NH as well. Good Luck.

/ Sub-compact tractor #3  
The BX is a great little machine, it's extra compact dimensions due to clever engineering make it very mauverable.
Yes, it can run a 48/50 inch tiller with much greater effectivness than any 5 horse tiller you will ever find--period.
Yes, it is reasonably stable on hillsides--everything has a limit.
Yes, they are correct, the 60 inch deck will provide a smaller inside turning radius (uncut circle) and will be much easier to manuver along sidewalks and beds--it is a fact, better cut too. It is a great deck and the BX is a great mower with it!
No, get the ag tires (R1)--the ones with the chevron bars that are commonly installed on the BX. To my knowledege there are NO R4 tires available. Your other choice from the factory is the turfs, I like the R1 type better--even for mowing.
DO NOT GET A FRONT BLADE--why in heavens name fool with a front blade when a Front Loader is so much more USEFUL--you will not believe how useful a loader is and how un-useful a front blade is. Yeppers, a front loader with a 44 to 48 inch boxblade or a light duty 5 foot REAR BLADE are the implements you need for the BX.
Others, my opinion, and everyone has one, the JD 2210 looks good ( I suspect from the one I saw it will have more ground clearence--less stability and it is longer so it will have a larger requirment for space when manuvering, the Cub is expensive and dealers are rare, the MF looks like it was cloned--cheaply--from the BX.

Get the BX2200, get the 60 inch deck, get a front loader--look seriously at the BX22TLB, get the bar tires, get a rear blade, tiller, have fun. J

/ Sub-compact tractor #4  
<font color=blue>...MF looks like it was cloned--cheaply--from the BX...</font color=blue>

Hummmmmmmmm.... I disagree...

On the Massey's... I don't own one, never drove one, didn't do a 6 month study on one... but the one's I've seen look very very well built and well thought out, appears to offer more bang for the buck and mfr. by Iseki... which is a sleeper company... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Sub-compact tractor #5  
I've driven the little massey f. And no, I don't think they are in any way shape or form similar to orange.

Generally MF is a lower option solid ( 40 year old technology ) tractor, and generally more HP for the buck.. but usually not as much weight for the buck... ( I like tractors to have some size / weight.. helps them work.

For the size weight issue... mahindras are pretty bulky.. I guess that counts.

Not biased either... I like ALL tractors... but if they are old and ford.. I might stare a little longer../w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Soundguy

/ Sub-compact tractor #6  
Kubota will offer B7800 soon,and it may fit your needs plus.

I for one very interested when my dealer starts offering the new line. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Sub-compact tractor #7  
Your Power King tractors..would they be single cylinder Koher motor..around 14 or 16hp?..or Jim Dandy.

I had a Jim Dandy 12hp Koher 16 turf tires 3 speed..that little beast didn't know when to quit..more so w/tire chains..also great for graden tractor pulling events. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Sub-compact tractor #8  
Thomas
We got 6 B7800HSDR's in yesterday so they should be getting to other dealers also. They are not sub compacts though, they are based on the 4 cylinder B2710/B2910 frame and use the same LA402 loader.
Lewis

/ Sub-compact tractor
Yes, the Power King has been a great tractor. It is 45 years old and it still starts on the first or second pull (rope start). My model is a Power King and it has a 9 HP B&S engine and has plenty of power. The only thing that has been done to the engine is a carb rebuild kit about 20 years ago. It is still a good tractor. I use it quite frequently.

John

/ Sub-compact tractor
The Kubota dealer mentioned the B7800 but that is more tractor than I need. I'm having a hard time justifying a BX2200.

He also had 6 B7500s that he was looking to unload before the end of the year.

John