Best Buy on ~100 hp tractor

/ Best Buy on ~100 hp tractor #1  

utahmule

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4600 HST
What would be your top picks for a tractor in the reange of 100 hp? American made and Foreign. From the 1960s throught the '90s. From ~$8,000 to $17,500.

MF 399, JD 4020, 4320, etc. IH? Case?

Thoughts? Thanks,

/ Best Buy on ~100 hp tractor #2  
I really don't think you could go wrong in choosing a second-hand domestic brand. Domestic because it is my understanding that parts will be cheaper and easier to find.

I like the Ford 7710. Don't ask why - I just do, and that's bascially what it comes down to.

/ Best Buy on ~100 hp tractor #3  
Yep, a bit off of the compact tractor subject here but... I would also reccomend a used american built ford/IH/JD/CASE, etc... Easy to get parts for and you should be able to find one for 5-10,000 $.

Ben in KY

/ Best Buy on ~100 hp tractor #4  
Hands down the JD 4020. Lots of parts for them and they hold their value, actually usually increase, better than any tractor like it.

/ Best Buy on ~100 hp tractor #5  
To stay in your price range,the best buy dollar for dollar would be:

Oliver-White
Allis Chalmers
IH
Case
Ford

/ Best Buy on ~100 hp tractor #6  
If you go back to those days the JD 4020 was the best available then. IMO the MF 1100 & 1105 are very close because they do not have as much resale value but the opencenter hydraulics are cheaper to fix and the HP is just a little more. Stay away from the broken TA models but there are good aftermarket ones available. The IH & Case have good models available but they do not handle as easy as the JD 4020 & MF-1100-05.

/ Best Buy on ~100 hp tractor #7  
Gotta agree that the best (at any price) 90 hp tractor is the 4020... However if value is a concern... and it should be... consider something like a MF 2705. Perkins engine & you can get them for nothing... (just don't plan on selling it, but if you keep it forever, who cares about resale value).

/ Best Buy on ~100 hp tractor #8  
I agree that the JD4020 is an excellent tractor. My brother still uses one on his dairy farm to power a lagoon pump. However for the value I would go with an Oliver 1800-1900 series. These are excellent tractors that are comfortable and easy to drive. Parts are still readily available(not as easy as JD)and usually cheaper. You can purchase a good Oliver for approx.$6000 where as a JD 4020 in fair condition can cost $8000.

/ Best Buy on ~100 hp tractor
Thanks for all the input so far. Any specific models in the AC, Case lines? They seem to be popular and plentiful around here.

Bang for the buck is a major consideration. Don't plan on reselling, but I would like to be able to get rid of it if I had to without getting raped. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Best Buy on ~100 hp tractor #10  
The good thing about the 4020 is everybody is always looking for one and you can always get your money out of one.