Comparison Gasoline vs. Diesel

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #1  

BigBlockHead

Tractor
Hesston 60-90
I'm a long time lurker on this site but never posted till now. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here and I'm curious to get your opinion on why no one is offering a gasoline powered CUT? Would you buy one if it was offered for the same money as a diesel? For $1,000 less? $2,000 less?

Tier IV final emissions regulations go into effect in 2013 for 25-75hp off-road equipment and diesel installations will increase in cost again. How much is it worth to you to have a diesel over gas?

I'm just curious if we're on the verge of a shift away from diesels in smaller tractors or if we'll continue to pay whatever it takes to get one.

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #2  
I love the smell of diesel in the morning!

Diesel for me, power and performance.

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #3  
Diesels rule when it comes to pull-power and durability. You will have to buy a oversized lawn mower, if you want gasoline power.It can be over 32 horsepower in gas.They make all kinds just for diversity and choice of the future operators.I really like having a diesel after owning an 8N Ford for years.Jy.

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #4  
I'm a long time lurker on this site but never posted till now. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here and I'm curious to get your opinion on why no one is offering a gasoline powered CUT? Would you buy one if it was offered for the same money as a diesel? For $1,000 less? $2,000 less?

Tier IV final emissions regulations go into effect in 2013 for 25-75hp off-road equipment and diesel installations will increase in cost again. How much is it worth to you to have a diesel over gas?

I'm just curious if we're on the verge of a shift away from diesels in smaller tractors or if we'll continue to pay whatever it takes to get one.

I wouldn't buy a gas powered anything. Simply put, you can't let a gas powered appliance sit with gas in it anymore. I spend WAY too much time as it is draining tanks and cleaning carbs on dirtbikes, mowers, chainsaws, generators, etc. I'd hate to think what a mess a gas tractor would be if it sat for 6 months.

OTOH, if I was using it every day, maybe - although all things being equal, a diesel motor will far outlast a gas one, and gas engine maintenance/repair is more frequent and costly. Of course, fuel usage is much higher with gas, so even though diesel is more expensive, fuel cost is likely lower with a diesel too.

JayC

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #5  
I used to have one. My old Kabota was a 19hp diesel, about 60ci. My old Farmall-A was about 20hp, about 113ci.

The old Farmall made the same power, and had a flat torque curve. But, to do that, it had to run twice the cubic inches, and much less fuel efficiency. That old Farmall did it at only 1600rpm. But it was big cubic inches. And a heavy crank, and heavy flywheel.

the old Farmalls and JD's can pull as well as the new diesel tractors. But, they are much larger engines that use lots more fuel.

Another example is big trucks. I know of folks that have had late '50's early 60's American LaFrance fire engines for parade. They had huge gas engines that got 2mpg. They would pump a lot of water, but practically had to be attached to a gas pump. Similar engines with diesels got significantly better mileage, soometimes with smaller motors.

I can not imagine going back to a gas engine, even with fuel injection. It would be possible, but would again result in large cubic inch motors to get that broad spectrum flat torque curve.

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #6  
I wouldn't buy a gas powered anything. Simply put, you can't let a gas powered appliance sit with gas in it anymore. I spend WAY too much time as it is draining tanks and cleaning carbs on dirtbikes, mowers, chainsaws, generators, etc. I'd hate to think what a mess a gas tractor would be if it sat for 6 months.

OTOH, if I was using it every day, maybe - although all things being equal, a diesel motor will far outlast a gas one, and gas engine maintenance/repair is more frequent and costly. Of course, fuel usage is much higher with gas, so even though diesel is more expensive, fuel cost is likely lower with a diesel too.

JayC

Excellent point. Not real sure of my tractor history, but it seems like Kubota 'invented' the modern CUT and sub-CUT, at least for general use in the US market. Have Kubotas always been diesels?

I have put a few hours on older gas tractors (1600 and 1800 Olivers) doing row-crop field work. Never had a chance to run a comparable diesel model to get a side-by-side feel for any differences.

I am happy with my NH/Shibaru diesel engine. I can't think of anything a gas engine would do better for me. For those up north that have to start diesels in very cold weather or worry about gelled fuel, gas might be an advantage, but only a couple days of the year perhaps.
Dave.

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #7  

Back when i was in college(1960 ish) the thermal efficiency of the diesel is about 39% wereas the gas engine was about 28%. This mainly due to the compression ratio (17:1 for a diesel compared to ~8+:1 for spark ignition mainly due to the fuel and the detonation problem plus the fact that the diesel does not throttle the airflow for speed control at part throttlel). So theyare more fuel efficient. It used to be that diesel fuel was really less expensive than gas, especially off-road with no road tax. It still is where I live but the gap has narrowed, and you can't get off road gas here. Their mechanical efficiency I would suspect is about the same with the gas engien slightly better..

The newer gas engine in cars are probably much better than 28% in thermal efficiency nowadays and while there have been big improvements in diesels I don't know if the gap is still the same. Torque is higher for a given displacement as is torque rise. Gas has some safety issue in a farm environment that diesel fuel doesn't. on the other hand, cold weather operation with gas is a lot easier than diesel just because of the fuel properties. However a spark ignition engine specifically for tractor would be designed differently than a car engine and would be more expenive than an old gasser engine. So the cost difference would probably not be that great.

I suspect there is no compelling reason to have a gas powered tractor in the market place and I suspect it's tied to the fuel burn advantage of the diesel engine driven mainly by its higher compression ratio.

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #8  
I dunno. A gas motor on an old Farmall as I noted above, lasts a long long time. The key, those old gas tractor motors did not rev high. Built to current technology, they would most likely stand up great. But, they would be twice the displacement, and would use more fuel.

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #9  
Marketing being as it is, IF there was a demand for such,there would be modern gas burning tractors. The original Op could convert one, Ie, the modern pulling tractors for sled events> He could even use a Hemi. It is quite a hobby for a lot of builders and contestants.Jy.

/ Gasoline vs. Diesel #10  
Simply put - there's more BTU's in a gallon of diesel vs a gallon of gas. Diesel = more power & efficiency, bar none.