Tractor buying Advice - mowing, loader work, discing

/ Tractor buying Advice - mowing, loader work, discing #1  

Hemsky01

I have a 2 acre yard that I need a compact/subcompact tractor for. My uses of it would be mowing, loader work, and discing in that order. I have been trying to decide between a John Deere(new 1 series or a 2320) and Kubota(BX2320 or B2320). A couple of things that I need an opinion on:

1)I don't know if to buy a zero-turn mower(Z225 John Deere) and a compact tractor or just the compact tractor with the mower. I need a grass catcher so price wise, it comes out to about the same. I like the idea of only having one machine for Maintenance but can also see the advantage of having the mower on a seperate machine. I also think because the mower deck on the compact tractor is so expensive, it would last longer than the deck from a zero turn. I have about an acre of grass and don't really have that many obstacles to mow around.

2)For the mowing and the loader work and landscaping, a subcompact would be plenty for what I need but I am a little bit worried about the discing, cultivating. We live in West Texas where there is a lot of sand and wind and you really don't want to till the ground so to keep the weeds under control, discing is the best method. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with pulling a small discer with one of the tractors that I have listed and how that worked. We also grow corn on the other acre of our property and I want to get a small cultivator to cultivate between the rows. Would a subcompact work for this kind of work or am I looking at a compact tractor? Some of the subcompact tractors also only have a limited category 1 3-pt hitch. Is that a big deal?

3)Kubota or John Deere
- I have been looking at different threads in this forum on this topic but would still appreciate any advice with the tractors I am looking at. The John Deere dealer is local but has very little inventory to look at or test and is a little more expensive than the Kubota that is an hour away with a lot of inventory. I am kind of leaning toward John Deere but have not made up my mind.

**I know there are more threads like this but I really appreciate any advice, especially when I'm looking at spending $18000.

/ Tractor buying Advice - mowing, loader work, discing #2  
I'm thinking you need to look at a compact instead of subcompact size, if only because of your gardening needs. The subcompacts have limited ground clearance, which may limit ability to cultivate and such. The 2320 size machines from Kubota and Deere would be my starting point. As between the green and orange brands, take your pick... they are both fine companies that make excellent products. Find the one you like and a good dealer to buy it from.

Either one will take standard Cat I implements and should be able to pull a small 3pt disc. Both should handle mowing chores very well.

If you weren't trying to do some gardening without a tiller, the subcompacts would be fine for your needs. Same considerations would apply regarding brand.

Dropping the mower deck for other chores is not a big deal. Unless you have money to burn, I wouldn't see the need for a separate ZTR for 2 acres of property.

/ Tractor buying Advice - mowing, loader work, discing #3  
BPFick on the Kubota forum recently wrote a good evaluation of the BX vs B as he traded his BX in for a B due to it not being a good fit for his gardening. These points are not Kubota specific.

As to John Deere or Kubota, I agree both are good tractors and the "right" one is going to be the one that fits you the best.

With so little to mow and little obstacles, I see no need for a second machine and you might even want to consider a RFM or flail as opposed to MMM.

/ Tractor buying Advice - mowing, loader work, discing
On the rear mower, I need to bag the grass so that is not an option. What gets me is the power bagging system on the compacts is $2000. Has anybody had success with pulling a sweeper instead of bagging the grass? A sweeper is only a couple hundred bucks

/ Tractor buying Advice - mowing, loader work, discing #5  
On the rear mower, I need to bag the grass so that is not an option. What gets me is the power bagging system on the compacts is $2000. Has anybody had success with pulling a sweeper instead of bagging the grass? A sweeper is only a couple hundred bucks

We use a sweeper we bought for about $400.

/ Tractor buying Advice - mowing, loader work, discing #6  
Another thing to research due to comments on this board is the mower height adjustment of the John Deere 2320 and the geometry of the Kubota's B2320 front wheels in regard to not being turf friendly. These are really the only negatives I've heard about with the two small compacts.

Some say no biggie to both and some find these issues as a real pia. Good luck and let us know what you do, with pictures of course. :thumbsup:

TripleR
How does that sweeper work for you?

/ Tractor buying Advice - mowing, loader work, discing #8  
TripleR
How does that sweeper work for you?

It works surprisingly well. I have to admit I was a little skeptical as my brother in law swears by his gas powered vacuum, but I didn't want to spring for one.

We bought ours at Sears, but I am sure there are other good ones.

Has anybody priced out a 2320 John Deere/kubota tractor with a Mid mount mower and loader recently?

/ Tractor buying Advice - mowing, loader work, discing #10  
I would go with either the BX, B, or the 2320. (oh, and it's a BX2360) I would NOT buy a ZTR if your getting a tractor in the size range that your talking about...Also think about a Cyclone Rake/Trac Vac instead of the grass catcher...