MLB

Tractor
    New Holland TC33D

Default Mixed tires?

TC33D with R4's will tear up turf with the fronts if turned too sharply, mostly in 4wd. The rears don't seem to do any/much damage. I"ve thought about putting turf tires on the front and leaving the 4's on the rear. Any reason to not do this??

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Default Re: Mixed tires?

I'd think that as long as you replaced the front tires with tires of the same outside diameter, there wouldn't be a problem.

EDIT:
    Guess I should have said circumference, huh.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 loaded!

I've considered this myself (same problem). The tires need to have the same rolling diameter within some tolerance which you may be able to find out from your dealer. basically the front wheels lead the rears by around 0-5%. You need to calculate the current ratio & find out from new holland what their range is (might be 0-3% don't know). Then select turfs that keep you in the sweet spot.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000

Hazmat is right. The rolling diameter of the tires must match, if they don't ugly things happen to the drive train. It puts a lot of strain on all the drive parts, besides that the tractor will not want to move if the size is off.

I found this out the hard way on an old 1947 Jeep CJ2A I once had. I got a good deal on two tires which were about 2 or 3 inches in diameter bigger than what was on the Jeep. So I mounted them on the rear wheels. When I put the Jeep in 4WD the front tires left skid marks in the dirt as the rear wheels pushed them along.

To make matters worse I could not get the Jeep out of 4WD, too much wind-up in the drive train. I had to jack the front of the Jeep off the ground before I could shift the transfer case.

Randy

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower

I have a NH TC30 with turfs all around. They are very easy on the lawn but they nearly flatten to the rim when I fill my loader bucket. The turfs that NH puts on TC29, 30, and 33 are two ply. I think your r4's are 6 ply in the front.