Traction in snow - 4WD Compact vs 2WD Utility

/ Traction in snow - 4WD Compact vs 2WD Utility #1  

Cowboy3008

Hi everyone.
I'm currently using a Ford 2600 tractor and it meets my needs perfect power wise (32HP gas).
It's only a 2WD model, but gets GREAT traction in the snow when I plow with the rear blade. Even without putting my chains on.
I assume this is because it has large tires and / or the weight of the machine.
I have been looking at a Kubota MX5100HST, but if I could get away with a smaller compact utility, the smaller size would be more handy for me.
My question is, if I go to a smaller tractor with smaller tires, but add 4WD that I do not have now, will I have much trouble in the snow?
It would be great to hear of any personal experiences with this.

/ Traction in snow - 4WD Compact vs 2WD Utility #2  
Personally, I wouldn't buy a CUT without 4WD even though I use it only as required. This is due to the lighter weight (<3000 lbs) of most CUTs.

As far as trouble in the snow...well, less weight, less traction. The math is pretty easy. 4WD will help, but it's not a cure-all. You still have to know how to use equipment in various conditions (which I'm sure you do) as well as how to stay out of trouble (and get out of trouble when you can't stay out).

/ Traction in snow - 4WD Compact vs 2WD Utility
Oh yes, I'm definitely getting 4WD this time around with a FEL.
My current tractor doesn't have a front loader, so with a FEL I definitely want that.
I just googled my tractor and I found a site that says my current tractor weighs about 3500 pounds.
The 5100 actually weighs more than that, so with 4WD and AG tires, that should actually do better than what I have now.
I was originally looking at a Deere 4105 and it's about 3000 pounds, so maybe with loaded tires and the 4WD, it would do as well as my current setup too, even though it's smaller with a shorter wheelbase?

/ Traction in snow - 4WD Compact vs 2WD Utility #4  
Hi everyone.
I'm currently using a Ford 2600 tractor and it meets my needs perfect power wise (32HP gas).
It's only a 2WD model, but gets GREAT traction in the snow when I plow with the rear blade. Even without putting my chains on.
I assume this is because it has large tires and / or the weight of the machine.
I have been looking at a Kubota MX5100HST, but if I could get away with a smaller compact utility, the smaller size would be more handy for me.
My question is, if I go to a smaller tractor with smaller tires, but add 4WD that I do not have now, will I have much trouble in the snow?
It would be great to hear of any personal experiences with this.

I have a Ford 861 which is about 45HP and 2 wheel drive. I also have a Jinma 28HP tractor that is 4 wheel drive and it will not only out pull the Ford by 2.5 times it will go though 5 times the snow. No comparison. Just like having a 2 wheel drive pickup truck and a 4 wheel drive pickup truck.

I only run R1's (AG Tires).
Chris

I have a Ford 861 which is about 45HP and 2 wheel drive. I also have a Jinma 28HP tractor that is 4 wheel drive and it will not only out pull the Ford by 2.5 times it will go though 5 times the snow. No comparison. Just like having a 2 wheel drive pickup truck and a 4 wheel drive pickup truck.

I only run R1's (AG Tires).
Chris

Hi Chris.
So then I assume that your Jinma's tires are significantly smaller than your Ford's?
I'm kind of shocked that the little Deere 4105 is almost the same weight as my old Ford.

/ Traction in snow - 4WD Compact vs 2WD Utility #6  
if i was you id stay with buying the MX5100 HST 4x4 with fel.youll have the power when you need it.i dont know much about snow.but i do know pushing it or using a 3pt blower you need the hp todo so.

/ Traction in snow - 4WD Compact vs 2WD Utility #7  
I have a 3200 lb(25 hp) CUT with 4WD and R1 tires. I have used a rear blade and FEL to push up to 12 inches of snow not using chains. I doubt that horsepower figures in just pushing snow, it's more about traction. Wouldn't know about snow blowing have not done it.

/ Traction in snow - 4WD Compact vs 2WD Utility #8  
Traction is also part of good balancing of a tractor some people don't consider. Many tend to just look at overall weight which sometimes gives the elephant effect while operating. Ya they feel heavy some say solid, that also reduces fuel efficiency as well as cuts driveline life. I like to look at the jobs that need to be done and set a tractor up for what it is going to be used for the majority of the time.. Not for a small limited use interval.

From a customer who just traded a tractor simular to yours with the industrial loader on it he says the L4400 which he bought far surpasses what the 2600 would do in all ways and it is more manuverable then his two wheel drive tractor was.

/ Traction in snow - 4WD Compact vs 2WD Utility #9  
Hi Chris.
So then I assume that your Jinma's tires are significantly smaller than your Ford's?
I'm kind of shocked that the little Deere 4105 is almost the same weight as my old Ford.

Yes, they are. The Jinma is just 3,003# and the Ford is 3,500#.

On the Jinma though I have 150# rear wheel weights plus the rear tires filled. I also have a 800# FEL and 4 33# suit case weights up front. With me on it its about 5,200# and with a implement on the 3 point I can add another 400# or so.

Chris

Traction is also part of good balancing of a tractor some people don't consider. Many tend to just look at overall weight which sometimes gives the elephant effect while operating. Ya they feel heavy some say solid, that also reduces fuel efficiency as well as cuts driveline life. I like to look at the jobs that need to be done and set a tractor up for what it is going to be used for the majority of the time.. Not for a small limited use interval.

From a customer who just traded a tractor simular to yours with the industrial loader on it he says the L4400 which he bought far surpasses what the 2600 would do in all ways and it is more manuverable then his two wheel drive tractor was.

For the zero percent offer, dealers seem to be pricing the 4WD MX5100HST with FEL and ag tires at $26,000.

What kind of trade would you give me for my 2WD Ford 2600 gas tractor with 1,700 hours?