Tractor Sizing FEL purchasing dilema

/ FEL purchasing dilema #1  

LabLuvR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
I have a 2002 Kubota L3710 4x4 with about 1200 hours on it. The tractor is in good shape but I need a front end loader.

My guess is the value of my tractor value is around $7,000 and a FEL would run about $5,000 installed. I would have to add another few grand to that if I want a four in one bucket.

Does it make sense to put that kind of money into this tractor or should I look for something else used with a loader already attached? Thanks!

/ FEL purchasing dilema #2  
I expect your tractor is worth more then $7K if it's in decent shape. Of course, a dealer would probably try to lowball you on a trade value.
Reckon it really depends on how much debt you want to accrue.

/ FEL purchasing dilema #3  
You have a decent size Kubota Tractor and hours are low, adding a loader would work out fine. But as Roy said if you want shinny new with all the bells & wishes how much do you spend and are you ok with that?
DevilDog

/ FEL purchasing dilema #4  
Not an easy call. First, let's figure you have implements sized for the 3710, so you either get a comparable size tractor or replace the implements at the same time. Assuming you want to keep the implements, can you find at least as good a tractor as your 3710, only with a loader, for less than, say, $12,000, in your locale? You'll have to look specifically in your neighborhood to figure that one out, but I'd suspect it's not a sure thing by any means. So, you may have reason to look closer at adding the FEL.

If you don't mind the idea of paying more for a newer model... maybe even payments on a brand new one... you can always shop for a newer one. The financing of new models is pretty great these days, but that's a decision you must make. You'd probably get more selling the 3710 outright than what a dealer would give you in trade.

Speaking of selling, I do think your $7,000 figure seems quite low. For example, at the moment, I am looking at an on-line listing for a non-FEL equipped 3710 with 5,000 hours with an $8,995 asking price. Yours would have to be in really rough shape if it's only worth $7,000 by comparison.

/ FEL purchasing dilema #5  
If you like your current tractor get a FEL. If not get a new one you do like with a FEL. Either way you will wonder how you lived without it. I have 2 tractors, one 45HP no loader, the other 28HP with a loader. The loader tractor gets used 150 hours per year, the other maybe 2 hours per year.

Chris

/ FEL purchasing dilema
The $7,000 I mentioned is the price a dealer threw out when he came by my house to value the unit. The Kubota is in pretty good shape, a little faded paint, but overall in very sound mechanical condition. So maybe he was lowballing me and I never put forth the time to get another opinion.

I like my 3710, it fits well for what I do. And my attachments are in great shape so I would like to keep my same basic set up. How much a similar used unit would sell for here I don't know but intend to find out. What is the chance of finding a decent used loader and frame set up?

I'd love to go with a whole new tractor set up, but just don't see the need right now. Plus I want a new car too.:D

/ FEL purchasing dilema #7  
Finding a used loader is like finding a good woman, tough. They get abused. We had to replace a few hose and all 4 cylinders on one and it was $1000 for just that. If you really want a loader just shop around and get a new one. Many good companies make them like Bush Hog, Koyker, Great Bend, Spirt, the OEM's, ect.

Chris

/ FEL purchasing dilema #8  
The $7,000 I mentioned is the price a dealer threw out when he came by my house to value the unit. The Kubota is in pretty good shape, a little faded paint, but overall in very sound mechanical condition. So maybe he was lowballing me and I never put forth the time to get another opinion.

I like my 3710, it fits well for what I do. And my attachments are in great shape so I would like to keep my same basic set up. How much a similar used unit would sell for here I don't know but intend to find out. What is the chance of finding a decent used loader and frame set up?

I'd love to go with a whole new tractor set up, but just don't see the need right now. Plus I want a new car too.:D

what part of S.C. YOU from? I am from Hickory Tavern S.C. close to Greenville. anywhere near me? zman :cool:

/ FEL purchasing dilema #9  

Tractor dealers will do trade-in's the same basic way car dealers will: they give you a wholesale trade-in price so they can freshen the unit up a bit and sell it for some profit. Nothing wrong with that, but you can do a private sale yourself at a better price, if you are willing to take the time.

But since your 3710 is otherwise doing OK for you, adding a loader still gets my vote. If the $5,000 price for a loader came from the same dealer, you might do better by shopping around; I don't have any idea what a separately purchased new FEL goes for now. As Diamondpilot says, there are a number of good brands.

/ FEL purchasing dilema #10  
Trying to find a good used tractor is someplace I don't ever want to go again. If you are happy with your tractor the majority of your battle is won. The loaders are priceless once you start using them. You will not regret a single penny spent on the loader. And it will greatly add to the value of your tractor.