Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New to tractors

Here's a picture of the property that will soon become my all-consuming passion (my wife will be glad to hear that). It needs work, but it will be nice when I'm done. By the way, what's the best way to get rid of existing fencing (wood posts, wire mesh, overgrown with weeds and such)? Like I said, I'm new at this.

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 loaded!

<font color=blue>I've noticed that some of the smaller Kubotas (B2200 in particular) seem to be very popular on this forum. Is that too small for my situation? </font color=blue>

It all depends on how much time you want to spend doing your landscaping. The BX2200 is a very capable little machine and a good choice for 5 acres, but considered a sub compact. It will do everything it's bigger brothers will do, only you have to take smaller bites.

Some have had problems hooking up three point implements that are designed to go on a taller tractor, requiring moving of the attachment pins etc, to make them work. You mentioned you have the mechanical ability of a rock. If you were to go with the BX, I'd buy the implememnts from the dealer &amp; get him to set them up properly for you vs. buying them at a tractor supply store or over the internet.

I have 4 acres. 2 of which are grass, the rest are woods. I have an 18HP New Holland that, while it has less HP, is one size bigger than the BX2200. I've been very happy with it &amp; often run out of traction before Horsepower. The main reason for my New Holland is I liked the dealer the best, Spec wise, I liked the JD 4010 or 4110 better.

Time to pound the pavement. get to the dealers &amp; test drive the machines. Don't just take a spin around the parking lot, dig some dirt etc. Have them show you how to attach an implement &amp; take the loader off. Also try a standard trans and the Hyrdrostatic.

When you narrow it down a bit, get the dealer to demo the machine(s) at your property.

I think anything from 18-30 HP would fit your bill nicely. If you've got alot of obstacles or will be planting a lot, stick to the smaller side. If it's wide open, go bigger and you'll get your tasks done quicker.

Tractor
    kioti DK45, FEL

Where do you live bigoldbooger?

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

welcome to the forum: can't really tell u much as i don't know your particular sit. check out the land trac. if u want to save a few $. kioti also is a a fine tractor, ask northcreek . everybody likes different things, let us know what u decide. and welcome again.

Tractor
    Kubota B-7500

I have roughly the same size property as you I choose the kubota B-7500, it is very capable and easy to use for the first time users such as me. Due the research and check out the dealers and pick the one that feels best to you, all makes and models will be able to do the job so personal preference is really key it is after all your money, everybody likes to spend others. My advise 20 - 29 HP, a good reputable dealer, and a good personal fit. Have fun shopping!!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    5300 JD 4X4

I'm happy for you. A tractor is truly a man's best friend. I'm into green and orange too. I will say though, if you are going to put a tiller on someday, get one that has some very slow gears. Some will call them creep. I owned a 3450 GST kubota. I found it a little fast for my needs. I also had a 245DT Kubota, if you can find one (mid 70's) they are great. I now have a 5300 Jd and I had them install the creep gear. Makes it a real pulverizer. Happy hunting. Randall

i recently bought a kioti after owning a ford 1710 and i am not looking back, shuttle shift is awesome.

Tractor
    Kubota B7500 HSD

I went with a kubota B7500 w/FEL and BH. The best investment I ever made for my 5 acres. Have fun deciding and welcome to this group.
    -Terry

Tractor
    '02 JD 4110 HST

BGB,
    I have about the same size place as you in what sounds like about the same condition. I bought a JD4110 with HST, 410 loader and 413 brush hog. couldnt be happier. It has worked very well for me sofar. About $14,000 out the door. Good luck with your choice

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, Gator HPX 4x4, 14SB, Honda TRX 420 FE

We also have a lot a little over 5 acres, mostly wooded. Bought a JD 4110 Hydro with loader and rear blade, very happy with the performance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12