Buying used - NH or Kubota?

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota?
You might check the front pulley, it's known to come loose from the crankshaft. You will chase the noise all over the tractor. Its held on by a bolt and you will damage the keyway in the pulley or crank, if it's left loose, just a thought.

Thanks for the tip - but it's not the pulley. I just had the front end apart to rebuild the governor. Everything is good up front, and it only makes the noise when moving. It sounds like something is binding up and breaking loose - like somebody on the inside of the drive shaft tunnel tapping the casing every once in a while with a hammer. It's not even a regular/rhythmic or predictably repeating sound. That's a big part of the problem - and it doesn't do it if I lift the read end off the ground to take the load off the tires and run it in gear (I was adjusting the brakes).

Fortunately I have yet to run into a part that CNH does not make for it, and I have been delighted to see "Made in the USA" on every part I've gotten.

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #12  
I have a total of seven tractors in my fleet, that include the three major colors..NH-JD-Kubota. I like all of them, however, over the years, the Kubota is the most reliable, if one has any varmits lurking> The new 30 hp NH had the electrical panel eaten to the tune of $200 for repairs because of rats, the same problem with a smaller JD of the same vintage eating the glow-plug harness.

The Kubotas are truly an "in-house" built tractor, with all the components built/tested by Kubota, and the longevity, with dependabilty has now been an issue with my others. I think the features should play an important part in any purchase. Some consider weight an added strength, but Kubota maybe are lighter...but I don't recall any failures do to strength? I think Kubota give one the option of adding weight if needed?

These other seven tractors are only a decade old, but my first buy in '78 was a new 30hp. Kubota... L295 DT that is still going strong with 5000 hrs, and has never been un-buttoned, only minor maintenance, and fluids, oil, and tire changes.

I grew up running IH's on our farm and on a hay farm I worked on, but got to run a Kubota fairly regularly when I was working for a commercial lawn & tree care firm. We used it for aerating, overseeding, and spreading granular fert. That was one nice tractor, and I really liked the glide-shift trans.

So I don't doubt that a Kubota is a great tractor, and will be around a long time. I'll just have to wait for a bit and make do with what I have. Maybe I'll start looking around again in the fall.

Thanks again everyone!

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #14  
a new tractor in that hp range from Nh with a loader and BH would run you $30,000 give or take a little. i woudl go with the NH. the hydraulics are faster and stronger, and rental machines can be great but i am always a little scared of them.

I know the OP isnt going to buy a tractor for awhile now, but I still have to disagree with the statemen of the NH having stronger and faster hydraulics.

I was unable to actually find any specs to be conclusive, BUT the B21 is a TLB. The NH is a tractor with a backhoe added. Typically, the TLB's are much stronger and faster than their given sized tractor counterparts. And built MUCH heavier too.

And tractor data lists the NH @ 5.4gpm hydraulics and the B21 @ 8.5gpm. So I doubt it is faster either. The B21 will more than likely weight more overall, have more lift capacity, a stronger backhoe, and will probabally dig a foot or two deeper.

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #15  
I would lean towards the B21 as a TLB. It is a tough commercial machine. I would lean away from the B21 as an all around machine. My B8200 was pretty similar; 20hp in that size chassis with limited PTO HP is what got me.

Tha NH would be a great all around tractor, and probably ok with the hoe. I would spin a mower a lot better than a B21. A B26 on the other hand...

I know the OP isnt going to buy a tractor for awhile now, but I still have to disagree with the statemen of the NH having stronger and faster hydraulics.

I was unable to actually find any specs to be conclusive, BUT the B21 is a TLB. The NH is a tractor with a backhoe added. Typically, the TLB's are much stronger and faster than their given sized tractor counterparts. And built MUCH heavier too.

And tractor data lists the NH @ 5.4gpm hydraulics and the B21 @ 8.5gpm. So I doubt it is faster either. The B21 will more than likely weight more overall, have more lift capacity, a stronger backhoe, and will probabally dig a foot or two deeper.

This might sound stupid but check the rear wheel nuts. I had a Kubota B7500 and it had a wedge in each rear wheel and if it got loose I would get a periodic noise in the rear. A very simple for what I though might be more serious.

Nope - not stupid at all. I pulled the shift cover off the tranny tonight and found both of the shift fork bolts loose - the one for 1st/reverse was backed almost all the way out. And I had two loose wheel/rim bolts. I swear I checked those... But the loose rim bolts are almost certainly the source of the noise. Thanks!

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #17  
The condition of the tractor is huge! Also, the dealer and his servvice.

When I went looking for a compact, 30 years ago, I looked at Deere, Kubota and Ford (now NH).
The Deere was nice but the subcompacts were built like a garden tractor, with the engine and trans mounted on a bent metal frame, and they were more $.
The Kubota was less money. The Ford was sweet.
I went with the dealer who was really into tractors and had a great reputation.
Also, little things... like the fact that the Kubota hung the top link (when loose) with a bungy cord, and the Ford had a built in Hook....
Since then ,I have bought several machines and tons of accessories...
Good Luck

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #19  
Nope - not stupid at all. I pulled the shift cover off the tranny tonight and found both of the shift fork bolts loose - the one for 1st/reverse was backed almost all the way out. And I had two loose wheel/rim bolts. I swear I checked those... But the loose rim bolts are almost certainly the source of the noise. Thanks!

9 times out of 10 its the simple stuff.

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #20  
Sounds like a ball bearing coming apart. hate to say I would check it before it comes apart. Good Luck.