Buying used - NH or Kubota?

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #1  

SwingOak

Silver Member
Central Wisconsin & in the Western UP, MI
Tractor
'65 IH Cub Lo-Boy, '13 Kioti DK50SE HST, '20 Kioti RX7320
Hi folks,

I've been poking around here a bit - lots of great info! I could use some advice though.

I have a '65 IH Cub lo-boy that I've spent a LOT of time working on. I mostly use it to plow snow in the winter. It's started making some clunking noises. I thought it might be one of the final drives, so I just finished rebuilding one side, but now it sounds like it's coming from the drive tunnel or transmission - and I want to restore it, not destroy it.

So I thought about getting another tractor, with a FEL and maybe a BH too. I found a nice New Holland TC26TA with loader and backhoe, 180 hours, and garage kept so it looks new - for just over $18K. I'm also looking at a Kubota B21 TLB - 1100 hours, and it was a rental unit for $16K.

I did some searching on Tractorhouse to compare prices. The pricing for both of these seems a bit high to me for NJ, but this is more based on instinct than knowledge.

I have a bunch of projects planned where I could certainly use a TLB - mostly excavation and trenching stuff, but snow plowing/removal is important too. Most importantly, it will need to be easily operable by my wife too - I'm 6' and she's 5', and she has always had trouble reaching the pedals on a tractor - even my old wheel horse lawn tractor.

The NH has more horsepower, but I think that matters less than how the tractor is equipped to make use of the horsepower it has available. Which is the better value? Which is the better tractor?

Thanks!

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #2  
first welcome to TBN.
Second go test drive both and see which one fits you best. 180 hours compared to 1100 is something to look at. what is the kubota service history. I have rented tractors before I bought mine and they all seemed to be a little rough shape.

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #3  
A 180 hrs garage kept "daddy's boy" vs an 1100 hrs rental for an 11% discount?

Unless you really think the maintenance in the next five years on both units is going to be about the same, then I'd go blue if I was you.

-Jim

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota?
It just seems that the Kubota does a lot more with a lot less hp. I'm kind of leaning towards the NH but I'm not sure if $18.5k is a fair enough price. I have no idea what a new one costs with FEL & BH on it.

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #5  
The use on the Kubota sure was probably construction grade use so to speak! Some times they get used hard but then again many tractors take the learning curve for the operator and never flinch.

We have a rental fleet and we do have some customers that bring them back as good as they went out, and then we have some that get good cleaning and restoration bills! They do all get greased and checked over before leaving our yard! So to a degree the B-21 might not be as solid as the New Holland but!!!

I said to a degree, and that is because even with the extra horsepower all you talked about is digging or construction work and that is what the B-21 is made for not being a jack of all trades unit.

As far as operating tractors your much the same as I am, 6'1" with a 5' wife, she perfers Kubota products for her fit over the rest of the brands we sell.

To look at who's who, I say that with knowing the age of the Lo-boy you might want to center on Kubota for the idea that they will still be selling Kubota where New Holland might be selling a different make, parts availablity in twenty years might become an issue.

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #6  
It just seems that the Kubota does a lot more with a lot less hp. I'm kind of leaning towards the NH but I'm not sure if $18.5k is a fair enough price. I have no idea what a new one costs with FEL & BH on it.

a new tractor in that hp range from Nh with a loader and BH would run you $30,000 give or take a little. i woudl go with the NH. the hydraulics are faster and stronger, and rental machines can be great but i am always a little scared of them.

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #7  
The fit to your frame and the wife. I personally don't like the hours difference for the price...which is what the market will stand.??? jy.

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #8  
The B21 is a commercial construction type machine. It is built like a tank. My old B8200 used same HP motor(same motor I think...).

The only complaint I had in the the B21 I rented, and my B8200 that I had for 12 years, was 20hp is underpowered for that size chassis. Mine was three range; high range was only useful downhill with a tailwind. Although I did a lot of field mowing, 20hp/15pto-hp, was marginal at best with a 4' rotary mower.

Note the new B26; a B21 with 26hp... Also note the newer Kubota's in that larger "B" chassis, have 27, 29, and 30+hp.

I jumped from a 20hp B8200 to a 40hp NH TC40D(mostly because of the used tractor deal I got; I was not originally looking at this big of a tractor). Aside from doubling the HP, I have found the NH TC series to be a nice tractor to operate. My Kubota was great, albeit underpowered. I would look at Kubota again for sure, if I was in the market. But I sure do like this NH.

I would check out the NH. In my case, that 26hp would be more useful for mowing.

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota?
Thanks everyone! I found out today my wife is probably going to be getting laid off from work very soon, so it looks like we'll have to limp through the rest of the winter with the Cub until I can split the rear, find what's wrong and fix it, or it breaks, or the snow stops flying - whichever comes first.

My dad keeps threatening to get another tractor - his JD 750 BHL is getting a little tired and I told him he should grab this NH I've been looking at.

Thanks again everyone for your input. I am always leery of buying used rental anything, mostly because I know how I treat rental stuff and it is probably exactly how everyone else treats rental stuff... :)

/ Buying used - NH or Kubota? #10  
You might check the front pulley, it's known to come loose from the crankshaft. You will chase the noise all over the tractor. Its held on by a bolt and you will damage the keyway in the pulley or crank, if it's left loose, just a thought.