Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SEH, Ford 4500TLB, Ford 8n

Default tractor choice?

I need help deciding on a tractor. I now have a diesel 71 ford 4500 tlb. An 8n. A rusting out 89' F-250 4wd. with a western plow.
    I need to do quite a bit of firewood cutting in my woods. I need to snowplow an 800 foot driveway. A big development is my knees are totally shot and I need a loader to lift grocery bags and things up to my deck. Right now my wife and I are having a ****-of-a-time climbing the steps.
    I use the 8n for york raking the tlb for big jobs. I'm thinking 4wd. for the woods and logging, gas powered for easy starting in the winter, and a nice loader for lifting.
    Limited budget here, need to buy used. I won't sell what I have, Sentimental value to me.
    What should I look for?

Tractor
    '04 Branson 3520, '51 Fergy, '96 MTD 18/46, '02 Craftsman GT5000/48

Default Re: tractor choice?

Hello! Definitely 4wd; however, you may have a problem finding it in gas. IMHO, If your fuel is good and the glow plugs work you should not have a problem starting a diesel in the cold weather, especially with a block heater. There are some reviews that the members from TBN have posted here. I like what I have, and I'm sure you will receive similar opinions. Good luck.
    He who is full loathes honey, but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet.

Platinum Member
    Tractor

I'll be needing it to start up and run for short periods in the winter. I think gas engines are more suited for that.
    I'd like to modify my 8' western plow to work off the loader for snowplowing. My F-250 isn't reliable enough.

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Quote Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
    I need help deciding on a tractor. I now have a diesel 71 ford 4500 tlb. An 8n. A rusting out 89' F-250 4wd. with a western plow.
    I need to do quite a bit of firewood cutting in my woods. I need to snowplow an 800 foot driveway. A big development is my knees are totally shot and I need a loader to lift grocery bags and things up to my deck. Right now my wife and I are having a ****-of-a-time climbing the steps.
    I use the 8n for york raking the tlb for big jobs. I'm thinking 4wd. for the woods and logging, gas powered for easy starting in the winter, and a nice loader for lifting.
    Limited budget here, need to buy used. I won't sell what I have, Sentimental value to me.
    What should I look for?
    For jobs in the woods, I'd look for a tractor in the 30-40 hp range that has good ground clearance. 5-10 years old. kubota, Deere, Mahindra are possibilities.

Platinum Member
    Tractor

How will they do pushing a heavy snowplow and lifting say 10' with the loader?

You got to look up the specs of theses tractors. My TN75 will lift just under 10ft, but it's a 75hp machine. this tractor is a taller machine than a 40hp model. i don't know if they would go that high. When you put my FEL up to max height, the bucket is over the hood a little

I'd look at a dumb waiter of some sorts, no need to start a tractor to lift groceries up onto the deck. And, you're going to hit the deck eventually, and have to repair it. You'll use a dumb waiter more than you'd ever realize.

Where do you live and how much snowfall you get yearly. And whats the depth of an average storm?
    TN75D, w/cab, FEL, BH
    7 1/2 ft Lucknow Blower

Platinum Member
    Tractor

I'm in N.E. Pa. We can get quite a bit of snow. I did look into a dumb waiter for the deck. I'm leaning towards a loader. I can keep the tractor parked next to the deck when not in use and just load and start it and lift when needed.
    My loader on the 4500 goes real high, I'm surprised yours doesn't. Maybe a tractor won't work for me. I'd have to have it lift aprox. 9' high to clear the deck rail.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

You are going to need a very large tractor to get your 9 foot lift. My 72 HP LS model P 7010 Ag tractor shows 11.3 feet but in the 38 hP compact you only get 7.5 feet max height and 47 Hp gets you 9.5. You are getting into the maximum HP range for the CUT tractors to get to the 9 feet height you need. NOTE this is all data from the LS website, but I would expect similar lift heights from the other brands also. If you have a regular backhoe with FEL then it will get more lift than a tractor
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Platinum Member
    Tractor

I didn't realize that, thanks. I could modify my deck and make the rail into a gate. That way 7 feet or so would do it.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

my MX5100 HST will lift the loader 10ft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast