Can someone give advice on a Komatsu PC-20 Mini Ex?

/ Can someone give advice on a Komatsu PC-20 Mini Ex? #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
this is a local machine with over 4,000 hours on it. 18 inch bucket. I will be looking at it in person on Monday. It was made in 1986. Rubber tracks. the guy is asking 9800 for it. I just don't know how to evaluate mini ex's. any help and advice would be appreciated.

/ Can someone give advice on a Komatsu PC-20 Mini Ex? #2  
I would say try this in the construction forum below, you may get more hits and advice.

Steve

/ Can someone give advice on a Komatsu PC-20 Mini Ex? #3  
   / Can someone give advice on a Komatsu PC-20 Mini Ex? #4  
Andrew;

I think the Komatsu PC-20 models can range anywhere from 2.5 to 3 tons machines. I don't know what you want to do with it but at that weight you will have to consider a truck and trailer that can haul that weight. I have a Takeuchi that I guess is really a "mini" in that it only weighs ~3500lbs. Much easier to move with car trailers and 1/2 ton trucks. Regardless of size I would look only for machines where you have servicing dealers nearby. Older/used machines will need odds and ends to bring up to snuff. My machine had 2100 hours when I bought it and it needed a solenoid, a hose, fluids, etc. right off the bat. A mini ex is a great tool. Good luck.

SimS

/ Can someone give advice on a Komatsu PC-20 Mini Ex? #5  
this is a local machine with over 4,000 hours on it. 18 inch bucket. I will be looking at it in person on Monday. It was made in 1986. Rubber tracks. the guy is asking 9800 for it. I just don't know how to evaluate mini ex's. any help and advice would be appreciated.

Go to the local heavy equipment service area and pay a tech 100 to evaluate the unit.

Tracked machines have the entire drive train as a wear item and the parts are spendy. Pins and bushings in the arm are also a wear item and will run 50-100 bucks a bushing PLUS installation cost and there are many of them. Pins are usually 2x the price of bushings. It's easy to go broke fast with an ex if you get the wrong one.

/ Can someone give advice on a Komatsu PC-20 Mini Ex?

my apologies all - a few corrections - it is a 1988 machine, not 86.

it has 3900 hours, not "over 4000" as I indicated earlier. the machine is said to weigh 6400 pounds. Has offset boom. He is asking 9850 for it.

for those that think this may be a tad high, what would seem to be a fair price assuming the rest of the machine is consistent with age/hours? Thanks.

/ Can someone give advice on a Komatsu PC-20 Mini Ex? #7  
I would try to find out about service and replacement parts on undercarriage and pay close attention to the wear on the tracks, also how new are all of the hoses when one starts to leak it seems that all start to leak I have definite experience with that!!!
The machine I bought was a '95 bobcat 320 with 1250 hours I got a real good price so I couldn't complain about the time and money I spent on repairs
I got a 24' HD trailer and machine for $3,500.00 like I said I have replaced almost every hose on it, I still have 2 old ones on boom but that is it. That translates into a lot of color coding and disassembly and reassembly. The machine runs perfect now.

/ Can someone give advice on a Komatsu PC-20 Mini Ex? #8  
Seems high to me. Bought a 2003 JD 27CZTS a 6400 lb machine three years ago with track rollers and sprockets in very good condition with approx 2800 hours for about $1000 more than the asking price you are looking at. Some slop in pins and bushings which I can live with. Reason I went with Deere is parts availability.

/ Can someone give advice on a Komatsu PC-20 Mini Ex? #9  
Komatsu is a well respected machine I believe. I see commercial contractors using these in my area all the time. Good advise given so far, but suggest looking at something with lower hours. Not sure how accurate it is, but I've read mini excavators don't hold up as well in terms of hours as would a similar sized tractor would. Much more wear parts on the mine ex. so takes more maintenance and like anything if not maintained, can need lots of $$ to get back into shape.