Your opinion please

/ Your opinion please #1  

Tom Hogg

Me and the wife are looking at starting a small sheep operation with intentions to grow. I don't know much about tractors but will eventually need one for what we're looking at acomplishing. We'll probably only start with 15-25 head. I'm looking for something that will be relatively easy to work on. I'm new to tractors but am mechanically inclined. Mainly something with a bucket that will handle waste/snow removal. I'll probably eventually start farming my own hay, so something that will handle those empliments. I guess a good all around starter tractor that a dummy like me can work on.

Any suggestions or good places to start. Thanks, Tom

/ Your opinion please #2  
Me and the wife are looking at starting a small sheep operation with intentions to grow. I don't know much about tractors but will eventually need one for what we're looking at acomplishing. We'll probably only start with 15-25 head. I'm looking for something that will be relatively easy to work on. I'm new to tractors but am mechanically inclined. Mainly something with a bucket that will handle waste/snow removal. I'll probably eventually start farming my own hay, so something that will handle those empliments. I guess a good all around starter tractor that a dummy like me can work on.

Any suggestions or good places to start. Thanks, Tom

The older 40 hp Ford, IH and Massey will be hard to beat for haying with mower, rake and square baler. Ken Sweet

/ Your opinion please #3  
Are you looking at new or used?

If used, I can't beat Ken's advice, I have been tempted to buy another older model Ford myself even though I don't really need one; same for Massey and IH, all nice old tractors.

It might help to fill out your profile or provide more information on your location and terrain as a 4WD may be indicated depending on that.

/ Your opinion please
I'm from southwestern Montana but as far as terrain I don't think I'll be doing anything
2wd with chains couldn't handle. Just farming/haying and snow and waste removal. A used tractor will probably be where i have to start. I found some good looking local buys already. Some early to mid 60's Internationals one with a loader, and a 62' (I think) Ford with a loader that looked to be in good shape for $3,800 obo.
What are some basics to look for when buying. I assume 3-point hitch, gas or deisel are givins.

Thanks for the responses, Tom

/ Your opinion please #5  
on an older machine like that stick a rotary cutter or something on the back and lift it, let it sit for 10 minutes or more if you can and see if it drops. (leave the motor running) if it drops then the hydraulics are wore out and will cost a fortune. other than that, the usual leaks, etc.

/ Your opinion please #6  
I'm from southwestern Montana but as far as terrain I don't think I'll be doing anything
2wd with chains couldn't handle. Just farming/haying and snow and waste removal. A used tractor will probably be where i have to start. I found some good looking local buys already. Some early to mid 60's Internationals one with a loader, and a 62' (I think) Ford with a loader that looked to be in good shape for $3,800 obo.
What are some basics to look for when buying. I assume 3-point hitch, gas or deisel are givins.

Thanks for the responses, Tom

You would want live or independent PTO, 8 speed transmission. Gas would start easier in the winter, however, the diesel would last longer. The diesel would need to be kept close to 110 volts in the winter for starting in cold weather. If you could bump up to the late sixties or early seventies, you probably will find more features on a used tractor. Ken Sweet

/ Your opinion please
Thank, thats the kind of stuff I need to know. How about replacement parts for the older machines. Are they easy or tough to come by?

/ Your opinion please #8  
If you stick with one of the major brands like JD, IH or Ford, parts shouldn't be a problem even on '60's models, but I would recommend buying one of the more popular models of those older brands of tractor. The advice about checking the hydraulics is excellent.

I'm running an '87 JD 2030 (about 60hp diesel) that would be about perfect for what you are planning, and parts are no problem for it. We've also got an old JD 4440 and a pair of '76 IH 966 Turbo's, and have no problems with parts for them either. These last three are a little too big for what you want.

We used to have a '68 JD 3020 diesel and it was super heavy and danged near bullet proof, but boy did it suck the diesel. And it was so big and heavy that it was hard to move on our 18' equipment trailer we have for our utility tractors.

We had a '77 Ford 5600 diesel that I dearly loved that would be perfect for what you want to do. Dad got PO'd and traded it off when New Holland bought out Ford and raised the prices on parts by 33%.

Wife's cousin has a '68 or '69 Ford 5000 that is basically the gas version of our 5600 diesel. It is a good tractor and I help him maintain it. Parts for it are no problem either. I believe you could freeze it solid in a glacier and it would still start. He started it last week when it was -8 and windchill was -25.

Another cousin has an early '50's Ford 8N and it would NOT start last week. It's a little small for what you want. But, parts are still available for it, although getting somewhat pricey.

/ Your opinion please #9  
Used tractor parts, that are from a tractor made in the fifties, sixties, seventies or eighties will be available after market at a fraction of Dealer parts costs. Ken Sweet

/ Your opinion please #10  
Just looked at tractorhouse.com and seen some good used 50 to 90 hp, tractors that would probably suite you, I would stay with a good 50 hp unit for what you are looking to do, one of the ford 4000 or john deere 4010's
from the early 70's for fair prices. just find someone in your area or frends with some tractor sauve. to help you out. a good $4000 to $6000, for one of these units will last you a long time.
these tractors are pretty much bullet proof, and parts are everywere.
Also look for some of the farmers and ranchers in you area for advice on equipment that they use, most farmers and ranchers love to talk and give advice, and tractors are something they love to talk about, and talk is free.
david