another tractor - tough choice

/ another tractor - tough choice
Ok, here's some more followup info. I stopped by the 600 and the jd 40 this morning again, and put my hands all over them.

The 600 has angle iron welded over the top of the radious rods. I looked the rods over real good.. felt the back, etc.. looked down them... they are true, and don't look like they were ever damaged. The welds are spot welds every 6" .. so i could die grinder them off.

I looked at both spindles, and again... I can't find the slightest evidence of cracks / breaks.
I wonder if the previous owner just welded it up to make it sturdy for a loader or something?

The fuel tap a tthe bottom of the tank leaks badly... but the sediment bowl at the carb looks ok... can that fuel tap a thte tank be replaced? looks like it is screwed on, etc?

Sheet metal wasn't as bad as I thought.. just a few dents.

I guess i could torch cut the front spindle braces down and grind them back to normal.

The JD 40, has a beat up grill and I called JD, and it isn't available.. but I'm guessing there are jd websites loke dons 8n sight that will have parts for it, etc.

I checked out its front spindle repairs, and at one time they were damaged.. either cracked or broke... lotsa stick weld was used to repair it, along with the verticle angle iron braces.

Guess with a lot of work it could be cut / ground down to the base metal, then repaired elegantly for light work.

The 2n ( which I havn't seen since last weekend ) will probably be the least mechanical work.. as I think the throttle linkage is very loose.. and needs sanding / paint, etc. ( and has a sherman ).

This tractor purchase will be a play tractor.. just like the 8n is ( shh... I actually let it do light work.. like the 3pt spreader for fertalizer / seed, moving a small trailer around the property, dragging the pasture, etc...

The 1920 gets all the greasy hard work...

new update. I've also found a sopposedly jubilee ( could be naa ) that is close tot he price range of the others, and is in good shape. Any ideas on this one compaired to the others? naa's and jub's have live hyd's right?

Soundguy

/ another tractor - tough choice #12  
I have a 1954 NAA.Just like the Jubliee but a year older and the emblem on the hood is differant.I would get the above if you can.Better than the 2n,better hyd,better motor,better tranny.Don't know about the others.My Dad bought this new in '54.But I'm a Ford Man.It's not my fault,I blame it on my Dad.I suppose by live hyd,you mean you don't need the PTO engaged.If the tractor is running you have hyd power.I found this tractor is still to heavy to drive across the lawn.The ag tires leave their mark.That's why the BX1800 came in.

/ another tractor - tough choice #13  
i would go with the 600 it has better brakes, live hydraulics, overhead valve, much better choice than a 2n. or go with the john deere, they hold there value pretty well, you should be able to get most of the parts for your deere in the aftermarket, i would look in me catalogs but i'm home. The 2n is an interesting tractor, i like them all but from a use stand point the 600 beats them all.

/ another tractor - tough choice #15  
the 2n sounds like the best of the lot(course i am partial to them, i had one) only thing is that the 8n and 2n are very similar, but that may not matter to u.