another tractor - tough choice

/ another tractor - tough choice #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Ok, through some strange event, my wife has ok'd me to buy another tractor.

The three I have been driving by and smelling lately all fall within a close price category and are as follows.

John Deer 40
Overall good shape, rebuilt motor, some parts need replacing, like rear lamp is crushed, and seat is some sort of seat from a bass boat..etc.
Grill is damaged, but works.. but I would replace it for aesthetic reasons. there has been some angle iron bracing added to the right front spindle support ( this is similar to a hi-crop tractor ).Good rubber... ( looks new, with a bit of weather age on it ). Paint ok

tractor # 2 is a 2n with a sherman trans, and brand new rubber, Paint new, but was 'carpet bomb' style painted.. will need to be sanded and painted before I felt 'right' with it.
Starts / runs good, and pulls ok. Throttle seems to need to be adjusted. At full travel of throttle, engine sounds like it is only getting to high idle.. maybee 1krpm.. but no more.

tractor #3 is a ford 600. serviceable rubber. Hood sheetmetal ok, with minor rust damage around gas tank door ninge latch area..nothing bondo or epoxy won't fix.
Needs a new sediment bowl and gas galve, as old one constantly drips. Has had angle iron bracing added to one radious rod, and one steering draglink. Both front spindles have been reinforced /braced with the addition of a roughly 'L' shaped peice of metal welded in.. though neither casting looks like it was broke... don't know why it was braced.
Has been converted to 12v .. wiring looks like a hair dresser helped a raccoon wire it up.

Those are my options guys... any comments?

thanks

Soundguy

/ another tractor - tough choice #2  
Hey Sound Guy,

Decisions,decisions,decisions,eh!!

Well now if it was me,I'd first go with the 2N it seems to be the straightest of the lot. Then I'd say probably the Deere......

/ another tractor - tough choice
Yeah, the 2n is sounding best ( cheapest of the lot as well.. but longest drive too... no biggie ).
The n will just need throttle adjustment, sanding, paint, and a new hood plaque and radiator 'winged' cap.

The 600 will ( for me ) need a new radious rod and draglink.
Do 8N radious rods and draglinks fit the 600?
I would also have to find out why braces were added to the front spindles.. and If they can be removed ( safely ).

The JD is about in the same boat.. but possibly less work.. only one braced spindle.. and needs a grill/light/seat... doeesn't seem too bad.

decisions decisions.... The JD and the 600 are .5 miles from where i work.. the 2n is 2 hours from where i live.... decisions decisions.

Soundguy

/ another tractor - tough choice #4  
Soundguy,

You're buying tractors faster than I can get the OK for implements! You must be doing something right.

/ another tractor - tough choice
Actually, the last one I got was earlier this year, the 8N.... these other 3 are just prospects...

As for the strange permission my wife gave me on this latest one.. It kinda scares me, as when i bought the 8n in august? I had to swaer/sign a waver that I was done tractor huntin' for a while ( 1-2ys). I had mentioned these tractors a month ago, and got the cold shoulder... then a week ago.. poof.... 'Why don't you got get one of them if you want to".... makes me think she probably bought herself a large xmas present... and is doing 'damage' controll by distracting me with a tractor...

We both work about 70+ hours a week, and pretty much keep our finances seperate...but we 'confer' with each other on large purchases... so looks like she got herself a big present...

Soundguy

/ another tractor - tough choice #6  
As I recall a picture of your stable showed a 2120 and an 8N. I don't know how much land you have to care for but I would look for something larger if you have the property to support it (tractor lover logic). If not, then go with something smaller to tip toe thru the garden plot with. You have the 20-35 PTO HP range pretty well covered so I would look at a different range for the "right tool for the right job" logic. There is also the restoration option but at 70+ hrs a week at your day job it might take a while to get around to it. What ever you do - DO IT QUICK before she changes her mind! Just my two cents.

/ another tractor - tough choice #7  
Hey, you still won't have a HST, and I've been COUNTING on you to get a <font color=green>4x10</font color=green> just so you could post pointers, we TBNers need your insight in new differant areas. Of course you'd also want something new in <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue> as a "control group" for really accurate comparisons...

<font color=orange>orange</font color=orange>

For a second, though, I thought you had kidnapped my wife, but she just called me, so she's safe. She still wants a backhoe, though....

<font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>

/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ another tractor - tough choice #8  
<font color=red>Has been converted to 12v .. wiring looks like a hair dresser helped a raccoon wire it up</font color=red>

Sounds like a few cars I'v had. Luckly the wiring on these old tractors is pretty easy.

<font color=red> had mentioned these tractors a month ago, and got the cold shoulder... then a week ago.. poof.... 'Why don't you got get one of them if you want to"..</font color=red>

Ah! you are in BIG truble!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ another tractor - tough choice #9  
<font color=red>red</font color=red>

/ another tractor - tough choice #10  
Find out what she got by telling your
getting ALL THREE :)
If she sees no problem then U ARE IN
TROUBLE.