need some info

/ need some info #1  

BWS

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota l3830 hst/723 fel
i,ve narrowed it down to a kubota l3130/3430 or n.h tc33d/tc35d tractor with factory fel/r1's.i also will need a box blade/rear mower[is this called a brush hog?]what size should i get?i would like to negotiate these implements into the package or what should i expect to pay?is there a good site to order these implements online/mailorder at a discount?thanks.[kinda green at this tractor business but this site has really helped me]

/ need some info #2  
I can't speak for the kubota line, because I havn't been on one in a few years, and have never used their brush cutters... but i believe ford is still making the 591 line of rotary cutters. They are pretty heavy duty, and on par with bushhog brand prices... probably 700 to 800 for a 5' job. The tc 33 should pull a 5' fine.. the tc 35 might pull a 6'... my 1920 will.

If they won't negotiate on prices, you could always get a slightly cheaper one like a KK or howse or even the tractor suppply oem brand... you'll pay around 580 - 650 for a 5-6' mower.

Then again, if they give you any deal on the rotary cutter it might be worth it. I had a 4' 591 ford hog from oh 1986? and it is still a monster.. no leaks in the gear box.. and has needed nothing but grease oil and blade sharpening since then... metal is real good and strong... almost as heavy as the cheaper 5' models.. metal on top is deffinately thicker.

let us know. I'm sure one of the orange guys will ring in with their xperiences. Either way sounds like you will get good equipment.... hard to go wrong with the big three... just depends on whether you like orange or blue/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Soundguy

/ need some info #3  
<font color=blue>rear mower[is this called a brush hog?]</font color=blue>

Bush Hog is a brand name for a rotary brush cutter, used (like Kleenex) for almost any brand. Used for cutting brush up to sapling size. Generally a rough cut, but can do pretty well.

There are also rear mount finish mowers that are - uh - finish mowers. They give a cleaner cut, 'cept on trees and rocks - where they aren't quite as clean...

Then there's flail mowers and then there's genetic freaks of various varieties

Sounds like you're on the right track to get a bush hog, even if it is a Bush Hog. I don't know if there are any brands to avoid, as most are pretty good.

I got mine used, and that was fine cause they really take a beating, so I already had mine dinged up when I started.... Maybe that is a good reason to get a new one....

/ need some info #4  
As Mike said, there are two kinds of rear mowers. Finish mowers are for lawns, to give a nice finish cut. Brush hogs (or rotary cutters) are for rougher areas, like pastures. They are used to cut weeds, brush and even saplings, as well as grass.

King Kutter is a brand that makes both, and gets you one of the best bangs for the buck. I have a King Kutter 5 ft brush hog, and it has served me very well.

/ need some info
the n.h dealer sells a modern[texas] 5' @ 795 and 6' @ 895.00 11/ga steel.the bradco backhoe 408 @ 7100 instld and 7900 +/- for 509.not sure if they will deal with the tc33d as pkg with implements.16,390.00 r1's,hydro,4x4,fel.bws

/ need some info #6  
<font color=blue>is this called a brush hog?</font color=blue>

Like the other guys said, Bush Hog is a brand name, and brush hog, rotary cutter, shredder, rough cut mower (and even slasher, down under) are other names frequently used./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ need some info #7  
I never heard of Modern brand, so I can't tell you anything about it. Tractor Supply Company (and other places) sells King Kutter. I think a five foot King Kutter brush hog goes for about $550.

/ need some info #8  
$16,390 for new TC33D with FEL, appears to be better than most of the average prices posted here on TBN. My New Holland dealer didn't have any problem giving me a better deal as a pkg. With the new tractor purchase. They have to split the financing between NHC and the implement companies, but it was no hassle.

I went for a Woods 7500 backhoe for my TC29 (same physical size as the TC33D), and am quite satisfied with it. The 7500 BH is holding quite well (0 problems) even though I use it for small commercial Landscape and excavation work. With @ 280 hours on my TC29/Woods BH and FEL pkg since April. I would be hard pressed to find any serious faults with it. I hope my new one, curremtly scheduled for delivery in April 03, will hold up just as well.

/ need some info #9  
I would recommend a 5 footer. I used one on a 3450. Did just fine, of course in heavy grass, which is the worst, I'd be down in the low gears. I run a bush hog. Have had good luck with it, lot of money though if not used much. I had a jd 503 mower, if I had beefed up the tin on it would probably been a good one, didn't look like much after my wife used it some. bottom line 500-3500