Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13
    Location
    Vermont

    Default Ford 1700: First time tractor buyer needs advice!!

    After looking around the forum and reading a great deal on the Ford 1700, I thought it would be worthwhile to sign-up and ask my burning question directly:

    I am in the market for my first tractor. I have about 20 acres to brush hog 2 - 3 times per year, trees to drag out of the woods, horse manure to move and general landscaping to take care of.

    Is the Ford 1700 the right tractor for me? And if so, is $7,995 too much to pay for 1980 Ford 1700 4WD with 1050 hours on it?

    Please, enlighten me!

  2. #2
    Platinum Member Craig Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    863
    Location
    Uxbridge Ontario Canada
    Tractor
    L2250 Kubota

    Default Re: Ford 1700: First time tractor buyer needs advice!!

    Could you post the specs for the model engine HP, tire size,2/4WD, overall condition. Second could you hint at the lay of the land ie flat , slight hill. In that way members can suggest a HP range of tractor. Your Ford might be just like the Three Bears, too small, just right or too big.

    Craig Clayton

  3. #3
    Gold Member amaxwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    257
    Location
    tennessee
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet-Yanmar ex450 -Ford 1300-Mahindra 2415

    Default Re: Ford 1700: First time tractor buyer needs advice!!

    Quote Originally Posted by flyswatterbanjo View Post
    After looking around the forum and reading a great deal on the Ford 1700, I thought it would be worthwhile to sign-up and ask my burning question directly:

    I am in the market for my first tractor. I have about 20 acres to brush hog 2 - 3 times per year, trees to drag out of the woods, horse manure to move and general landscaping to take care of.

    Is the Ford 1700 the right tractor for me? And if so, is $7,995 too much to pay for 1980 Ford 1700 4WD with 1050 hours on it?

    Please, enlighten me!
    I personaly would want a few more pto horsepower to pull a 6' brush cutter.If you are cutting the whole 20 acres you will be suprised how much faster a 6' will work over the 5' the 1700 will properly pull. Also you don't say how much your budget is ,but if you can afford it a tractor with 4wd and a front end loader will certainly come in handy.The price for this tractor seems high to me.There was a 2006 JD 790 on CL near me with 154hrs.and a finish mower for $11500 (didn't stay listed but for a few hrs.) that would sound like a much better deal than a 31 year old tractor with 1050hrs.Be patient and get what you need. Just my opinon.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13
    Location
    Vermont

    Default Re: Ford 1700: First time tractor buyer needs advice!!

    Craig,

    Here are the specs of the tractor:

    1980 FORD 1700
    25 HP, DEISEL, 23.26 HP AT PTO, 12 SPEED TRANSMISSION, 4WD

    FRONT TIRE SIZE 6.00-16
    REAR TIRE SIZE 11.2-24
    INCLUDES FACTORY MANUAL
    1050 HRS

    INCLUDES FRONT END LOADER

    As for where it will be used, we have a pretty hilly layout here. The brush hogging will be in two large fields that have a range of gentle slopping grades. Woods work will be mostly on established logging roads but some rougher terrain as well.

    In general our property is hilly.

    Hope that helps and looking forward to responses.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13
    Location
    Vermont

    Default Re: Ford 1700: First time tractor buyer needs advice!!

    Quote Originally Posted by amaxwell View Post
    I personaly would want a few more pto horsepower to pull a 6' brush cutter.If you are cutting the whole 20 acres you will be suprised how much faster a 6' will work over the 5' the 1700 will properly pull. Also you don't say how much your budget is ,but if you can afford it a tractor with 4wd and a front end loader will certainly come in handy.The price for this tractor seems high to me.There was a 2006 JD 790 on CL near me with 154hrs.and a finish mower for $11500 (didn't stay listed but for a few hrs.) that would sound like a much better deal than a 31 year old tractor with 1050hrs.Be patient and get what you need. Just my opinon.
    Good point. I don't have a lot of $ to play with on this so I'm hoping to get into something for less than $10k.

    The big question I have going into this is 4wd vs 2wd. My father has run a 1950's Massey Ferguson 2wd in the woods and the fields for about 30 years and never had any real issues... but even he tells me I should look for 4wd!

    I'm not in a big rush but I'd like to have something by the end of spring.

    Thanks for your thoughts!

  6. #6
    Elite Member johnk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,624
    Location
    western NY
    Tractor
    Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags

    Default Re: Ford 1700: First time tractor buyer needs advice!!

    Thats not a lot of hours on it and it will do a 6' brush hog. Look it over. Check the fluids. Ask the owner the maintinance he did on it. I don't think it's a bad price. Ask him how LOW he will go that you are really interested.

  7. #7
    Gold Member amaxwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    257
    Location
    tennessee
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet-Yanmar ex450 -Ford 1300-Mahindra 2415

    Default Re: Ford 1700: First time tractor buyer needs advice!!

    Quote Originally Posted by johnk View Post
    Thats not a lot of hours on it and it will do a 6' brush hog. Look it over. Check the fluids. Ask the owner the maintinance he did on it. I don't think it's a bad price. Ask him how LOW he will go that you are really interested.
    23.5 pto hp and a 6' brush hog ? Your grass,weeds and brush must not grow like mine!

  8. #8
    Silver Member Mudfarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    239
    Location
    Western Washington
    Tractor
    John Deere 3005, Kubota B7100, Kubota B2710 (Traded in the Ford 1700)

    Default Re: Ford 1700: First time tractor buyer needs advice!!

    I traded my ford 1700 4X4 in a little over a year ago for a new John Deere. It was just about what you describe looking at - about 1000 hours and 1980 model. I got about $2500 on the trade (the dealer said he would re-sell it about 15% over the trade in value). I think the price you quote is too high. I would have been glad to get $4500 for mine on a private sale. I was worried about the rubber wearing out - hoses and tires - on a thirty year old tractor. The engine however was just fine and the hydraulics would lift the front end off the ground. One thing to try and find out is whether the front axles were ever replaced. The original axles were built too light and after some years of heavy bucket use would break. The replacements came in "heavy-duty". Both my axles were replaced, one about 8 years in and one about 12 years old. Note you are not getting power steering with that tractor and in general those models did not have ROPS unless it was added later. Hope this helps.
    Mf

  9. #9
    Super Member JDgreen227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    7,748
    Location
    Central Michigan
    Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

    Default Re: Ford 1700: First time tractor buyer needs advice!!

    Quote Originally Posted by flyswatterbanjo View Post
    Good point. I don't have a lot of $ to play with on this so I'm hoping to get into something for less than $10k.

    The big question I have going into this is 4wd vs 2wd. My father has run a 1950's Massey Ferguson 2wd in the woods and the fields for about 30 years and never had any real issues... but even he tells me I should look for 4wd!

    I'm not in a big rush but I'd like to have something by the end of spring.

    Thanks for your thoughts!
    Have you checked into being able to get parts and service when you need them? I was planning to buy a used Ford 1620 back in '02, but the nearest dealership was 35 miles away, and I decided not to buy the Ford for that reason. A year later THAT dealership closed, meaning the closest one was not 48 miles away. Keep those things in mind, because a 31 year old tractor, no matter how low the hours, is going to need work.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

    I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

  10. #10
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    625
    Location
    Central,Iowa
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

    Default Re: Ford 1700: First time tractor buyer needs advice!!

    Quote Originally Posted by flyswatterbanjo View Post
    After looking around the forum and reading a great deal on the Ford 1700, I thought it would be worthwhile to sign-up and ask my burning question directly:

    I am in the market for my first tractor. I have about 20 acres to brush hog 2 - 3 times per year, trees to drag out of the woods, horse manure to move and general landscaping to take care of.

    Is the Ford 1700 the right tractor for me? And if so, is $7,995 too much to pay for 1980 Ford 1700 4WD with 1050 hours on it?

    Please, enlighten me!
    Run away! These units are hard to find parts for and when you do, they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I had one. Good little tractor until needed parts then $$$ me to death. Who's to say the hours are correct. Seems low to me.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. - Edward R. Murrow

    "Being smart is not how much you know, it's knowing where to look."
    R. James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ford 1700 4wd
    By knucklehead in forum New Holland Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-23-2002, 02:24 PM
  2. JD 4000 series wheel bolts
    By Anonymous Poster in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2002, 11:56 AM
  3. Chain of command
    By Anonymous Poster in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2002, 07:17 AM
  4. History of Time...
    By JohnMiller3 in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2002, 07:09 PM
  5. First Time Tractor Owner's Advice
    By MikePA in forum Attachments
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-15-2001, 09:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.