MF 1643, Kioti dk40se, JD 4120 & Kubota MX5100

/ MF 1643, Kioti dk40se, JD 4120 & Kubota MX5100 #1  

dlmpsy

Bronze Member
I've been lurking for awhile, trying to figure out a few things before purchasing a tractor. The tractor will be used for clearing snow out my 1/2 mile driveway in the winter, some brush (grass, weeds, saplings) clearing and possibly running a small baler or mower someday. The property is around 30 acres in size, the land is generally flat with one hill that the old MF 35 has been safely navigating for years. Some things I am "set" on includes 4wd, FEL with quick coupler and something in the 40 to 50hp range.

I've looked at three tractors (in stock), a MF 1540 (what the dealer has in stock) with shuttle shift, but would be more interested in the 1643 (dealer doesn't know when this model will be in). Price for a used (50hrs) 1540 is about 17500 without loader. No idea about the 1643 with FEL.

Next I looked at a Kioti dk40se (gear with shuttle). I liked the features and weight of the tractor. The dealer quoted me a price of 19500 with loader, the next day he said he looked-up the wrong model, he apologized and said the price would be 22500. I called another dealer and he said the tractor would be 23500.

I stopped by John Deere, they didn't have anything in the CUT range in stock, based on the literature the model 4120 looks about right. Again, the dealer didn't know when any would be in, rough price would be 25 to 26K if I recall correctly.

I started thinking about Kubota. It seems the MX4700 would be about right for my needs. No one nearby has one in stock, but the MX5100 seems to be available (for some reason) at several dealers. I sat on one last Saturday (the salesperson was out of town), price was about 25200. Called another dealer, price about 25700. Both models were 4wd, gear drive and with the quick attach coupler.

On this site I see many different prices quoted, I am wondering what a "fair" price would be for the MF 1643, Kioti dk40se, JD 4120 and the Kubota MX5100. I know everyone needs to earn a living, so I don't expect the best deal in the US, just something middle of the road. Another question I have is regarding the Kubota MX5100. How do you like the "shuttle shift" location on the gear driven model?

/ MF 1643, Kioti dk40se, JD 4120 & Kubota MX5100 #2  
all of the above are great tractors.the kubota price is a real good deal.you might get that a tad lower.mine is rigged like your looking at with the exception that i have HST.

/ MF 1643, Kioti dk40se, JD 4120 & Kubota MX5100 #3  
I'm surprised at the price you were quoted on the Kioti. Maybe they don't have any incentives right now. I paid about $18K for DK40se hst with loader three years ago including zero% finance. There have clearly been price increases sincenthen but I didn't think they were up 25%. Maybe we are spoiled by the periodic free loader deals as that would certainly lower the price. Also be aware that some dealers just quote list while others clearly discount.

All sound like excellent tractors. I know the Kioti would handle the tasks mentioned with ease.

/ MF 1643, Kioti dk40se, JD 4120 & Kubota MX5100
I'm surprised at the price you were quoted on the Kioti. Maybe they don't have any incentives right now.

I liked the Kioti, especially regarding the initial price and features. With the increase of $3000 it's too close to MF, JD & Kubota. The price isn't really competitive compared to the other tractors, especially considering zero interest on some of the other brands up to 60 months. Kioti's zero interest is for 48 months. That's one reason I checked with another dealer, but I still wonder if it's a bit "high".

/ MF 1643, Kioti dk40se, JD 4120 & Kubota MX5100 #5  
You can get 0% for 72 months with MF and the MF1643l will run about $27500

/ MF 1643, Kioti dk40se, JD 4120 & Kubota MX5100 #6  
The 4120 is going to be close to $29-$30K with the loader.

/ MF 1643, Kioti dk40se, JD 4120 & Kubota MX5100 #7  
Kioti also has the DS 4110 and DS4510.
They do not have all the premium features of the DK series and are less $$

/ MF 1643, Kioti dk40se, JD 4120 & Kubota MX5100 #8  
I've looked at both the Kioti DK40SE and MX5100 (actually looking for the MX4700 but like you, my dealer only has the 5100 on his lot). I like the Kubota better overall because I am looking to add a BH and the attachment is better. There are a number of posts in the Kubota forum about pricing on the MX5100 as it appears many are looking at it. I've seen posted numbers better than you are quoting, I believe somewhere closer to the $23,500 mark with FEL. Those prices are from guys in the US though as my price up here is higher for some reason. Not sure where you are located. Also check out the Kioti forum as I believe I also price check threads on the DK40SE as well. It will give you a ballpark to work from.

Good luck!

/ MF 1643, Kioti dk40se, JD 4120 & Kubota MX5100 #9  
Don't choose a tractor based on the OEM BH offering. Woods, Rhino, Bradco all offer compatable BHs and any decent dealer represents at least one of those in addition to the tractor branded version. I bought a Woods BH90x as part of my DK40se package and the cost was included in the Kioti finance package.

/ MF 1643, Kioti dk40se, JD 4120 & Kubota MX5100 #10  
If you are like me, you'll probably keep and use your tractor for a long time. Spread out over 10 or 20 years, the price difference between those tractors is not a lot of money. The tractors you are looking at are all sound machines and will fit your requirements well, so it seems sensible to pick the one you like the best. Hopefully you have good dealers to choose from also.