Buying Advice ASV Posi-Track

/ ASV Posi-Track #11  
While doing research on one of my projects, I think I have watched every video on the internet. In my opinion, if you are interested in operating in mud, look for a special track for mud. Watching one work at a local park last summer, to operator had trouble scooping dirt in the mud with what I will call the "standard track", no traction. Of course a 4 wheel skid steer would have also had issues.

/ ASV Posi-Track #12  
I have seen the bolt on cleats for bobcat T190-T250 machines, but I have not heard any reports on the effectiveness of them. I would think that they would put a large amount of stress on the track and could tear the track in severe conditions.

/ ASV Posi-Track #13  
I just looked at an RC100 with about 1200 hours that had been used to mow powerline right of ways. The tracks are kind of beat up and missing a couple of internal drive lugs. The seller says you can buy bolt-on drive lugs to fix that easily. He also says he routinely buys used tracks because there are so much cheaper. He also says you can buy bolt-on cleats for the tracks to provide more traction. Anyone ever heard of these bolt-on drive lugs or cleats? He says that in his business there is no other machine he'd ever own since the others just don't hold up. Interesting. He has 3 of these machines including a brand new one he paid $70K for. Should I be intrested in a machine that has had what sounds like pretty heavy industrial service even though only 1200 hours?

Yea, part of the problem I've heard and seen. 1200 hours and the tracks are close to shot. Probably alot of zero turns and pungi stick type debris. Idlers and drives warrant real close inspection. Improving traction is not something I would consider. That's usually a good way to break something, the slip that was designed in is taken away and next thing you know something expensive gets broken. All track loaders I know of, come without cleats. Everyone I've seen with a welded or broken lift arm had cleats installed.

As for the drive lugs http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/land-clearing/168100-asv-track-drive-lug-issues.html

/ ASV Posi-Track
Well I just bought an ASV HD4500. This machine has 80 hp John Deere Power Tech 4045engine and weights about 8500 lbs. I hope I made a good choice. I bought it because it is one of the ASV machines that has less ground pressure and more ground clearance than any tracked skid loader out there. I feel I got a good deal. This machine has 1800 hours and is very well kept but needs new tracks. Anyone know a good place where I can possible find used tracks. I don't put many hours on my machines since they are just farm use so I just need serviceable tracks. Thanks.

/ ASV Posi-Track #15  
Well I just bought an ASV HD4500. This machine has 80 hp John Deere Power Tech 4045engine and weights about 8500 lbs. I hope I made a good choice. I bought it because it is one of the ASV machines that has less ground pressure and more ground clearance than any tracked skid loader out there. I feel I got a good deal. This machine has 1800 hours and is very well kept but needs new tracks. Anyone know a good place where I can possible find used tracks. I don't put many hours on my machines since they are just farm use so I just need serviceable tracks. Thanks.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying?

/ ASV Posi-Track
I don't mind davygp38, I paid $10,000. Every machine I've looked at around here in this class that had useable tracks had asking prices from $16K to $20K so I think I got it cheap enough to cover my track replacement. Especially when you consider that for $16K those machines had tracks that were pretty beat up and what I would call barely useable. And, all the other machines I looked at were total rust buckets, very weathered, I would say 75% paint left. This machine looks like new, no rust to find anywhere and very clean. I hope I made the right choise. Of course there are many things internal that can be wrong that you'll never find with just a test drive so when buying used you're going on a wing and a prayer. I have found places throuhout the country that advertise used and factory blem tracks. Haven't got any prices yet.

/ ASV Posi-Track #17  
I like the ASV's seem to be one of the best{if not the best} tracked SS's made.

/ ASV Posi-Track #18  
I don't mind davygp38, I paid $10,000. Every machine I've looked at around here in this class that had useable tracks had asking prices from $16K to $20K so I think I got it cheap enough to cover my track replacement. Especially when you consider that for $16K those machines had tracks that were pretty beat up and what I would call barely useable. And, all the other machines I looked at were total rust buckets, very weathered, I would say 75% paint left. This machine looks like new, no rust to find anywhere and very clean. I hope I made the right choise. Of course there are many things internal that can be wrong that you'll never find with just a test drive so when buying used you're going on a wing and a prayer. I have found places throuhout the country that advertise used and factory blem tracks. Haven't got any prices yet.

I am thinking that was a very good deal.

/ ASV Posi-Track
Yes davygp38, I've got this machine home now and it's really in excellent shape and they took very good care of it. I spent time today looking the machine over very carefully and playing around with it. I'm not finding any surprises like miscellaneous broken things you find on most used stuff. The tracks are pretty worn out but useable for a while I think. I was surprised when I picked it up they filled the tank and gave me about $2500 in spare parts they had collected in case they needed them but never used. They are also going to send me a shop manual as soon as there mechanic gets back from a couple days off. I'm happy so far. Now I'm going to sell my small JD350 dozer that I'm pretty much done with. It will help defray the cost of this ASV.

/ ASV Posi-Track
Found a new set of tracks for the ASV 4500. They are expensive but I found a place willing to deal and apparently hungry for sales. They are selling me an OEM set for $3800. The cheapest I've found these elsewhere is $4400. The cheapest I've found a good set of aftermaket tracks is $3750. So I think I found a good price on OEM. I will probably start working on the track replacement next week. I have found 3 surprises with my used machine. Two of the axles have an oil seal leaking and one planetary has a seal leaking. Anyone have experience working on these?