Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tractor
    New holland TC29-9x3 Woods 1012 FEL, Woods, 7500 Backhoe / Kubota L345DT 4WD, Kub FEL, Kub Backhoe

Default Re: my new tractor- manual vs hydro

I have the fully synchronized manual tranny (9x3) with live pto on my current New Holland TC29. And will be ordering a similar unit for my new 03 model that I'm negotiating right now. This is just a personal choice for me. As I have had compact tractors for over twenty years now. Long before the hydro models were the norm. Although a lot of TBNers will tell you that the hydros are the only way to go for loader work. I find that shifting gears is so natural for me, that it has become second nature. And yes my tractor sees a lot of loader work as it gets used for commercial landscape and excavation, as well as mowing.

I think it's fair to compare the HST on a tractor to the automatic transmission on a car or pickup. And even though I've got at least as much or more time on manual transmission tractors, cars, and trucks, I'm lazy and definitely like the automatic in the car and the HST for the tractor. However, that's the reason they make both kinds of transmissions; so everyone can get what they like best.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img] And either one will get the job done.

Hi,

Like bird says the hst is like an auto transmission in a car...with one exception. You don't need to shift to change directions...just push the forward or revers pedal.

This comes in real handy when changing direction on a slope, as I am sure bird knows well...[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]...not sure why I am sure of that...but I am...

Bill in Pgh, PA

Ever tried to shift directions on an auto truck after spending hours on the tractor with the hst. Darned fuel pedal just doesn't work for that.

Driving three different vehicles I also try and shift with the windshield wiper control. Other times my right hand is waving around in the air looking for a lever while the left foot is looking for a clutch, neither of which is there.

Anyone else have these problems.

Egon

<font color=blue>Anyone else have these problems</font color=blue>

Unfortunately, yes!

Not only that, but it also takes time to start my gas engine van...

...I keep waiting for those glow plugs to heat up before truning the key on to the start position! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

True by the way[img]/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Bill in Pgh, PA

Tractor
    Currently tractor-less

Default Re: my new tractor manual vs hydro

Mark,

<font color=blue>What do you lose with no clutch? I guess you lose an ingrained habit of 25years - it feels unnatural.</font color=blue>

I agree, even to the point of suggesting it can be dangerous to use an HST. In an emergency, when there's no time to think, what are the chances that you will instinctively hit one of the HST pedals instead of the brake pedal? I like knowing the brake and clutch are where my body is conditioned to find them.

Of course, if your engine is running fast, and you hit the wrong pedal, you will not only take off ... you'll take off at full speed!

Just as an aside, has anyone here ever hit one of the HST pedals by mistake and gotten, or almost gotten, into trouble?

Best,
    Bob

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

A choice you will get to make, but for me (after years of clutch operation) I find that the HST for a compact utility is, by far, the best way for me to go. I find operating 3pt attachments (blade, tiller, rotary cutter, box blade, etc) is so much easier with the HST vs the clutch. Now if I would use my CUT with a plow or other field (baling, discing) equipment for long stretches where power to the wheels is pretty constant, I would want to go back to the gear system. But that isn't how I use it. For going place to place, the cruise control on the HST is great and is close to "gear" operation. For FEL use, the HST is also better than shuttle shift, IMO. When (if?) I get the top n tilt system, I will appreciate the HST (and its ability to move slow and change speeds whenever I feather the foot pedal) just that much more.

You get to decide though, what you think you want.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

No.

Tractor
    Currently tractor-less

I think for some people the switch to HST is painless and comes naturally.. even in emergency situations. But for others, it just doesn't work. Like me. I also asked the same question on another forum .. have you ever really messed up due to having an HST pedal where you are conditioned to finding a brake pedal. Got a lot of yes replies.. even one mentioning bloodshed (fortunately not serious.) It's only by the grace of God that I didn't hurt someone once with my GT235!

After 30+ years of expecting a brake pedal in a certain spot, some of us (like me) may need a brain upgrade to safely switch.

My ideal tractor hasn't been made, to my knowledge. Picture this; you've got *one* HST pedal on the right, and a brake pedal right next to it. Then you have a hand shuttle lever to choose between forward and reverse. Now in an emergency, the brake is where you expect it. It would be like switching between a gear and an automatic car. Pretty easy for most people, because that brake pedal is where it's always been.

Don't mind me.. just rambling. I hope the original poster will seriously consider this issue prior to purchase. And just taking a test drive usually won't give the answer.. you need to be in an actual emergency situation to see how you'll react. Just my $0.03 (inflation.)

Safe tractoring to all,
    Bob

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast