my new tractor- manual vs hydro

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #21  
Re: my new tractor manual vs hydro

Trev,
You ought to drive a Power Trac some time. The nice thing about their setup is the right pedal makes it go forward(like a car's gas pedal) and the left pedal makes it go backwards. Like most HSTs, in an emergency situation you just take your feet off of everything and it stops almost instantly. My Power Trac doesn't even have brake pedals because it doesn't have brakes. It doesn't need them. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

If you ever get the chance, try it out for fun.

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #22  

Moss,

<font color=blue>My Power Trac doesn't even have brake pedals because it doesn't have brakes. It doesn't need them. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif</font color=blue>

Not having brakes is no excuse for not having a brake pedal! At least it would give your leg something to do while the machine stops itself. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=blue>If you ever get the chance, try it out for fun. </font color=blue>

I certainly will.. and I'll do a little research on them now (things like would I have to replace all my current PTO implements... one of which was just delivered yesterday.) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thanks,
Bob

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #23  
Sometimes I find it confusing when it is mentioned that there is a "power loss" or less usable horse power on an HST vs a gear transmission. It makes it sound like when you step on the go pedal, less happens, or it is a dog.

It is true that a gear transmission will deliver more of the engine power to the rear wheels than an HST transmission behind the same engine(I'm not sure about the PTO, can someone else jump in here?).

However, looking at it from my point of view and experience, if you buy an HST tractor that is designed and rated to do the tasks that you need it to do, it will do them. You might have to buy a little more engine HP, but not that much more. If your budget is tight you might need to go with a gear transmission to get the tasks done that you need to do. Or you could spend a little more, get a few more engine HP and an HST and do the same tasks easier with less fatigue on your body. Also, with an HST your hands can stay on the steering wheel more of the time. Your right hand can be operating the loader, the left hand steering and the feet changing directions. With a gear, you have to let go of the wheel to shift or change directions. I never have to take my hand off of the wheel on either of my hydro tractors. Also, there is less braking needed when operating a hydro tractor because they stop when you take yourfoot off of the pedals. I find both of these features(hands on wheel and less braking) not only safer, but less tiring at the end of the day. IMHO, if you can afford it, get the bigger engine with an HST for most typical CUT activities.

Have you driven both of the NH models and the Kubota that you mentioned? See if you can test them out with a mower in tight quarters, and a FEL on a dirt pile. Move 10 or 15 bucket fulls of dirt from point A to point B. See which one is easier and more comfortable to you.

Good luck in your decision and remember, test driving is half the fun /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #24  

Trev:
On the TC40D I'm getting, the setup is similar to the PowerTrac.

On the right side of the deck are two pedals side by side used by the right foot: right is forward, left is reverse. On the left side of the deck used by the left foot there are brake pedals (where all other tractors usually have the clutch. The smaller Boomers, Kubotas (and maybe other models) have the brakes and HST pedal on the right side and the clutch on the left.
Mark

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #25  

Ahh yes, the brain maker /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif... hope your wife is feeling better /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #26  

On my Power Trac the left foot operates the go backwards pedal and the right foot operates the go forwards pedal. If you push one down the other goes up. You can't accidentally hit them with the wrong feet because they are separated by a center tunnel that houses the hydraulic hoses and articulated link that keeps the front and rear halves of the unit together. Very comfortable unit to operate and becomes second nature very quickly.

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #27  

<font color=blue>messed up due to having an HST pedal where you are conditioned to finding a brake pedal</font color=blue>

Bob, I don't think I follow your line of reasoning, since my Kubotas, with HST, had both brake AND clutch pedals right where you'd expect them, and about in the same place brake and clutch pedals were on the geared tractors I've used. Of course, I almost never used them, but they were right there anytime they were needed.

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #28  

<font color=green>messed up due to having an HST pedal where you are conditioned to finding a brake pedal</font color=green>

<font color=blue>Bob, I don't think I follow your line of reasoning, since my Kubotas, with HST, had both brake AND clutch pedals right where you'd expect them, and about in the same place brake and clutch pedals were on the geared tractors I've used. Of course, I almost never used them, but they were right there anytime they were needed. </font color=blue>

Hi Bird,

I'm not up on Kubotas, so maybe that's where I'm going wrong. Are you familiar with the JD235 type tractors? (I think the larger JD HST's have the same setup, but I'm not certain.) You have two pedals on the right, plus a third one if you want to lift your foot way up in the air to hit it. The two HST pedals are right next to each other. You can hit them without lifting your heel from the floorpad.

In a "normal" car, either manual or automatic, you have those same two pedals... but the left one is always the brake, and the right is always the throttle. The clutch doesn't really matter, because if you go for it and it isn't there, well, no harm is done.

So, we're used to using the right pedal to go (either forward or backward), and by just rotating our foot on the heel we can hit the brake pedal.

It's been this way since my dad taught me to drive when I was 5 years old.. in 1957 if anyone is counting. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

So suddenly I found myself on a machine where the "brake" pedal was the "go forward" pedal, and the "gas" pedal was the "go backwards" pedal.

So, now imagine that I'm carefully backing up by using the "right" pedal. I get to just the right spot, and I want to lock myself in that position. I just habitually rotated my foot to the position of the "brake" pedal.. but which in reality was of course the "go forward" pedal. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Does this help any in seeing my dilemma? I know, I'm an idiot.. but I'm doing my best. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bob

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #29  

OK, Bob, I understand and I've seen some of the odd arrangements like you're talking about; don't think I'd particularly like those either, although I might like it better than the old geared tractors with the hand clutch that looked like the parking brake lever on old trucks, specifically thinking about a couple of Case tractors I used many years ago./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #30  

Well, Bird.. being new to tractors I've never seen a hand clutch.. *that* must be a trip. :)

My 4300 SyncReverser does what I want, so the problem is solved. It's just that when anyone asks about HST versus gear, I feel obliged to share my experience.. if for no other reason than that the new person is at least aware of the possibility that they might run into (no pun intended) the same kind of problems I did.

Happy Holidays, Bird.

Bob