my new tractor- manual vs hydro

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #1  

BWS

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota l3830 hst/723 fel
ok i,m ready to buy i,ve narrowed it down to the n.h. tc35[syncro manual] or tc35d[hydro]or kubota L3430hst.the n.h salesman and a indepent tractor mech tell me to get the manual syncro tranny but n.h. doesnt offer the 35 manual with the "d" package" bummer"[i love the seat,folding rops,ect]i guess it comes down to the transmission,i know kubota make a good hydro but does anybody have some seat time in these tractors{manual and hydro].whats the best??bws

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #2  
Re: my new tractor manual vs hydro

Kodiak posted in the New Holland Buying section under the TC18 thread that all NH boomers, hydro or shift, will have the "D" amenities for 03. The TC18 being the exception.

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #3  

Hi,

The reality of the matter is both are best!

You have to evaluate what you will be using the tractor to do. Another TBN member [Ed King] and I got together today and were discussing just this thing. I have a hydro and he does not.

There are advantages to both. Neither is really better than the other. One is better for some uses, the other is better for others.

No, I am not a politician! Can't even spell it.

Loader work...changing direction on a slope ...mowing around a lot of things that are tight...maybe HST is better.

Plowing...more engine horsepower getting to the PTO...simplicity[?] maybe the gear tractor is better!

All depends what you want to do with the tractor. I like the HST...but it is not really better in the absolute sense. HST fanatics may say it is, but I think the reality of the matter is that it simply depends what you need to use the tractor for mostly, what you like, what your pocket book can afford...

Drive both...see what you like...buy it and be happy!

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #4  

LISTEN to your dearler. I had a 3450GST. to fast in low gear for tilling, and is slow to shift. When pulling on a hill it would lose all momentum when changing gears. I think they even have creep gears for the standard, you can't get them for the GST, or at least couldn't at the time. If I did it again, definetly the synchro tranny.

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #5  

One other thing. The shift for the GST is too close to the seat cushion. I'm 6'1 240, was too tight in there for me.
enjoy which ever one you choose.

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #6  

NOT REALLY A MATTER OF WHICH IS BEST; more a matter of which is best for you!!!! you need to try them both out. i personally like the hydro, but that is me. don't mean it is better.

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #7  

<font color=blue><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

but n.h. doesnt offer the 35 manual with the "d" package" bummer"(i love the seat,folding rops,ect)

<hr></blockquote>

</font color=blue>

The Deluxe 3pt hitch & Folding ROPS can, in fact, be ordered with the 12x12 tranny and many dealers order them this way for their lots. The seat can also be retrofitted as an aftermarket part, I'm told.

The best prices I got for 40hp 'botas and NHs were(35hp are a little less$):
Kubota
L3830DT
8x8 shuttleshift
Loader
Model #: la723
Bucket size:72"
Single Rear Remote
R4
Filled Rear
Grill Guard
Folding ROPS
Extendable Link Ends
$19520

New Holland
TC40/FWD
12x12 gear
Loader
Model #:16LA
Bucket size:72
Single Rear Remote
R4 tires
Filled Rear
Grill Guard
Folding ROPS
Extendable Link Ends DLX 3pt
$19479

I really wanted a shutteshift tractor - I couldnt get used to NOT using a clutch (in fact the TC35D/40D dont HAVE a clutch.) The Kubota HST is the best I drove, but I didnt like the pedal, but it has a clutch. The NH HST classIII has a much nicer pedal system, but it's not as smooth and has no clutch. The gear drive shuttles on both of them are smooth and easy to shift.

Hope this info helps.

Mark

PS I ended up with a barely used TC40D - so much for my biases against the HST. My biases can be changed for the right $!

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro

how do you like it,what do you lose when you cant clutch?so all 03 h.h will have the d pkg?this is great info!is the 4cyl vs 3cyl a big differance?bws

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #9  

What do you lose with no clutch? I guess you lose an ingrained habit of 25years - it feels unnatural. Like when I first drove an automatic transmission in a car. The first 6 or 7 cars I ever drove had manuals. The first time I drove an automatic, I almost put my girlfriend (now wife) through the windshield trying to step on a clutch that wasn't there (I grazed the brake pedal..../w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif) Now all 3 cars we have are automatics. I got used to it and I'll adjust to the HST.

Im told that 4 cyl engines are smoother and distribute the workload more, thus improving responsiveness and decreasing maintenance. I dont know if that is, in fact, true but it makes sense. Each cylinder handles 25% of the workload instead of 33% of the load. Of course, there are now more parts..... All things being equal EXCEPT the cylinder numbers, I'd go with more cylinders.

Mark

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #10  

I completely second macher, Bill, opinion. I prefer manual because I mainly use my tractors for farming. It's important to know exact ground speed etc. and you do get more useable hp as well. But for others the hydro is just fine as well. It really depends on you and what you prefer.