Looking for tractor recommendations

/ Looking for tractor recommendations #1  

rebelback

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 Case Farmall 45 HST
I know this is like asking what's your favorite movie, but I thought I'd ask anyways. Could y'all give me some recomendations on what tractor(s) would fit my needs?

Here is what I have. We currently own 40 acres. About 5 of it is pasture, 2 acres we will cut with the riding mower around the house, 21 acres is clear cut that needs the tops cleared off so I can replant in hardwood for some nice bow hunting in the future, and the rest is hardwood that has been select cut. We plan on replanting the clear cut and most of the pasture so I won't be bailing hay or anything, but I'd like the ability to move a bail 10 years from now if I changed my mind about pasture land.

What I want my tractor to do:
-Bush hog pasture and existing/new four wheeler trails

-Maintain the gravel road to my house when the county won't/can't come out

-Disc ground to plan food plots

-Good FEL to help with pond, move general items around, and push brush tops into piles for burning

-No gear shifting so maybe an HST or CVT transmission (not sure how the CVT holds up on tractors but they are great on four wheelers if you don't get the belt wet)

-Not sure about that cruise control option. Don't know if I need it or not.

At first I was looking in the 30hp range, but then I was afraid I'd under buy if I ever wanted to move a full size hay bail, etc. and thought maybe I needed something around 40hp. Still not sure on that. I'm not wanting to break the bank, either. Out of the NH, JD, and Kubota models I've looked at it seems Kubota gives you more features for less price. I've always liked the NH tractors and just hate the orange of a Kubota, but those Kubota guys are doing a good job. I also read the NH models have plastic fenders that can't be good on a tractor.

/ Looking for tractor recommendations #2  
Id go with a 40 to 50 hp tractor. I prefer the gears myself but you could get one set up as you want. Most any brand you get will be a good tractor. The best advice i can give is to set on each one and see which one fits you best. I like the MF myself.:thumbsup:

/ Looking for tractor recommendations #3  
the Nh tractor is for the most part gonna be a lot heavier tractor in and have heavier lift capacity than the deere and kubota. it depends on what modle of NH you are looking at. most of the tractors from 30 hp up to 100 hp have metal fenders and hoods. Kubota and deere have plastic fenders on most of their stuff. and it isnt flimsy plastic it is durable stuff if it isnt a model with metal. the CVT on Nh isnt belt driven it is chain driven by a system that us outstanding i can get you inof on the setup if you like. NH has the best financing out there right now. let ne know if i can help

/ Looking for tractor recommendations #4  
There are much more knowledgeable folks than me on here, so be patient, they LOVE to tell folks what to buy, especially since its not their money! Some are loyal to a particular brand, bottom line is what suits you best and dealer support. If a few thou is not an issue, 40 HP is probably better than 30, but suspect 30 might be enough for most of your needs, the possible exception being moving the tree tops. Depends how big/how much time you want to spend. Dicussion on HST CVT below on the forum you can check.

/ Looking for tractor recommendations #5  
the Nh tractor is for the most part gonna be a lot heavier tractor in and have heavier lift capacity than the deere and kubota. it depends on what modle of NH you are looking at. most of the tractors from 30 hp up to 100 hp have metal fenders and hoods. Kubota and deere have plastic fenders on most of their stuff. and it isnt flimsy plastic it is durable stuff if it isnt a model with metal. the CVT on Nh isnt belt driven it is chain driven by a system that us outstanding i can get you inof on the setup if you like. NH has the best financing out there right now. let ne know if i can help

What is the NH financing right now?

/ Looking for tractor recommendations #6  
Like jlsmith, my preference would be in the 40-50 range or maybe even a little more as an HST is going to cost you some HP over a geared unit. I use HST and geared units and depending on what you are doing, one performs better than the other. My preference for an all around general utility tractor is HST, but for heavy work, I prefer gears.

When trading tractors, more people go bigger than smaller, so your decision to go bigger is a good one; kind of like building a shed.

There is a thread on here about HST/CVT. CVT on tractor is unlike that on ATV/RUV and don't use a belt. CVT is available on the New Holland.

I would probably go with R1 tires and definitely a 4WD.

I don't care for plastic, but that is just a personal thing and doubt it really means anything as far as durability goes.

All of the top brands make good tractors and I recommend any new buyer to spend time looking at all of them to find the one that fits them the best.

Good luck.

/ Looking for tractor recommendations #7  
based on your wants an needs a MX5100 HST 4x4 with fel will more than fitt your needs.they are priced at $26,000 for the above tractor.but the brand is up to you,as your the 1 buying an running the tractor.

/ Looking for tractor recommendations #8  
I will throw in my 2 cents. I have a Kubota L3400HST. with R4 tires. but in your situation. you are probably gonna want the R1 Ag type tires. for best traction, and I love my Hydrostat for loader work, but you mention some loader work, and a lot of mowing, so Gear would be fine, if you do get the hydrostat. be sure to get the cruise control, you are going to want it bad if you mow for a while. Like the others have said, my tractor size would probably work, but the 40 or 50 horse units are going to be better, expecially if you want to lift a hay bale later on. Maybe a Kubota MX5100Hst with cruise.? looks like a lot of tractor to me, and it has the sliding "sway chains, and adjustable lower arms, all which means hookups are easier. Note I said easier, not "easy". Also no matter what brand you get, be sure and get a Skid Steer Quick Attach Bucket on the front end loader, If you dont you will regret it later (dont ask how I know:ashamed:) All that said look into John Deer, NH and I would look over Kioti and Bobcat too if there are any nearby dealers. That is going to be the important part for any brand, the dealer network. As for the CVT, I would wait a bit and see how they shake out. The guys on here that have them are liking them, but they have had a few bugs, mostly easily reprogrammed apparently. Available in the Case and New Holland units. So there you go, some ideas, but it boils down to what you think, as it is your money we are happily spending:laughing::laughing:

If you need any more of your money spent, just drop on by:laughing:

James K0UA

/ Looking for tractor recommendations
How important is the 3 point hitch lift capacity? I would think it is fairly important. There seems to be a slightly big difference between some manufacturers and their comparable tractors.

/ Looking for tractor recommendations #10  
What's popular in your area....stop and talk to some of these folks see if they are happy with their tractors/dealers.Stop at some of dealers...kick some tires,get some seat time...check ergonomics.There are lots of quality tractors today.Buy a little bigger than you think you will need...saves trading down the road.Sounds like around forty hp,FEL and four wheel drive.Check lift rating of FEL for your Max load.