Looking to buy a small used tractor

/ Looking to buy a small used tractor #1  

RickandTinaWms

Hello All,

We just bought a few acres and would like to buy a small tractor and mower to help keep the place up.

Any advice on how the best way to proceed?

Thanks!
Rick

/ Looking to buy a small used tractor #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Looking to buy a small used tractor #4  
Visit dealers, kick tires, take test drives, talk to others, search the web and dealer sites and get as much exposure as you can in order to start narrowing down your likes and dislikes.
YUP!!

/ Looking to buy a small used tractor #5  
Hello All,

We just bought a few acres and would like to buy a small tractor and mower to help keep the place up.

Thanks!
Rick

First you have to decide the size and brand that you would prefer. Then get a price in your head of what you can afford. Looking for used tractors is more difficult than buying new. Used ones that have been taken care of are far and few between.

/ Looking to buy a small used tractor #6  
I came here in 2004 looking for info on what's available to suit my needs...

Bought a Kubota BX23 and it's done everything I've needed to do... kind of the Swiss army knife of tractors...

/ Looking to buy a small used tractor #7  
Hello All,

Thanks!
Rick

My first tractor was a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, hydrostatic transmission, power steering) with the LA302 front end loader (FEL, 4-ft wide bucket, 800 lb lift). Cost: $12.6K plus tax.

I ran a 4-ft wide King Kutter rotary mower (aka brush hog, bush hog, shredder, slasher, $600 at Tractor Supply). This type mower is designed for field work (thick weeds, small saplings, etc). My place is 10 acres of flat pasture.

That 7510 has a rear-facing pto that operated at 540 rpm (I ran the brush hog off this pto) and a front-facing pto that runs at 1000 rpm and can be used to operate a mid-mount-mower (MMM) for mowing lawns.

You can find used 7510s for $7-10K on eBay, craigslist and tractor classifieds on the Web. They usually come with FELs. If you find one without an FEL, the price drops about $2-3K.