What tractor for me?

/ What tractor for me? #1  

JoshuaPDC

Hello All,
first post, looking for some advice on the most suitable tractor.

I've 160 acres of gently undulating to hilly country. The ground is hard and compacted due to years of neglect as a result of Australian sheep grazing and I intend on changing this.

My plan is to pull a 3 or 5 tined Yeoman's stump jump plough, slash the pasture and perform general farm duties.

Due to the property's terrain I would be most keen on a tractor with a low centre of gravity. I've looked at the Antonio Carraro brand and am awaiting feedback on prices, but it is my understanding that they are quite an expensive machine.

New Holland TT75, Massey Furguson MF3600 (I think that's the model) and East Wind DFS654c at a recent field day all seem to be well priced, due to their indian and chinese sources. They aren't low centre of gravity tractors however.

What should I be looking for?

Cheers :thumbsup:

/ What tractor for me? #2  
Welcome!

I take it you are in Australia. Correct?

That Yeoman's plow looks like a horse power eater! But would certainly bust up your hard ground!!! :) We call it a subsoiler in the US. Or at least around these parts.

For better recommendations... what brand tractors are available to you? Is John Deere or Kubota available?

Also... how steep are these hills on your land? What degree slopes approximately?

/ What tractor for me?
Hello PapaPerk,
you are correct that I am in Australia.

John Deere and Kubota are both available here. JD is pretty pricey in this country though.

I do love HP universally regardless of what kind of machine it is in :D

In regards to gradient, you'll have to give me some time to refer to my topographical maps; I shall return with this information shortly!

Cheers

/ What tractor for me? #4  
Like PapaPerk says, that "plow" is going to take a lot of HP, around here, most people use a 3-point subsoiler and they really work the tractors. Our land is under cultivation, but still need the hard pan broken up every couple of years.

The plow should have a HP indicator to help you.

/ What tractor for me? #5  
Your "Yeoman's" link says on page 14 to have about 10-12 hp per foot width of the implement, ie. a 6' implement like this should require about 60-72 hp. That tractor toward the bottom of the page 16 reminds me of a Deutz, but looks to be pretty low C.G.

Slim

/ What tractor for me? #6  
It looks like you are looking for a newer tractor but we use older 1980's model deutz tractors and they have quite a low center of gravity.. They can be found at a pretty cheap price and are good on fuel..

/ What tractor for me? #7  
Hello All,
first post, looking for some advice on the most suitable tractor.

I've 160 acres of gently undulating to hilly country. The ground is hard and compacted due to years of neglect as a result of Australian sheep grazing and I intend on changing this.

My plan is to pull a 3 or 5 tined Yeoman's stump jump plough, slash the pasture and perform general farm duties.

Due to the property's terrain I would be most keen on a tractor with a low centre of gravity. I've looked at the Antonio Carraro brand and am awaiting feedback on prices, but it is my understanding that they are quite an expensive machine.

New Holland TT75, Massey Furguson MF3600 (I think that's the model) and East Wind DFS654c at a recent field day all seem to be well priced, due to their indian and chinese sources. They aren't low centre of gravity tractors however.

What should I be looking for?

Cheers :thumbsup:

That Yeoman's looks a lot like a ripper. I'd look for a used Cat D7 to handle that beast.

/ What tractor for me? #8  
That Yeoman's looks a lot like a ripper. I'd look for a used Cat D7 to handle that beast.

A Cat. I was thinking the same thing! Especially if he has really steep hills like they do out west (US). That's where the ag crawlers were king.

But on a more practical side... seems like a 130 HP John Deere or other brand wheeled tractor with rear duals and 4wd should be fairly stable... especially with proper ballast. But it all depends on the steepness of the hills.

One suggestion is to ask other farmers in the area what they use for their land. The big question for your application is how stable the tractor needs to be. Solving the subsoiler problem is easy. Add more HP! :)

/ What tractor for me? #9  
It looks like you are looking for a newer tractor but we use older 1980's model deutz tractors and they have quite a low center of gravity.. They can be found at a pretty cheap price and are good on fuel..

MY HERO:thumbsup:

I do not pretend to know how the market for used is down there.

check some Neb test data if you find an old vs. new you fancy. So of the old naturals are really fine machines.

round here we prolly pull that little ole plow with out gators:laughing:

/ What tractor for me? #10  
I wouldn't get a new one, I'd go with one that was slightly used and with just a little tractor paint it'll look as good as new. Let us know what you end up getting.