Massey Fergusen 35

/ Massey Fergusen 35 #1  

tessiers

Platinum Member
Tractor
05' JD 790 - 53' Ford NAA - 70' Massey Fergusen 135 diesel - 67' John Deere 3020 deisel - 77' John Deere 2130 - 1950 John Deere MC
Looking to upgrade my 53 ford NAA, found a Massey Fergusen 35 with the perkins diesel, anyone know anything about them? Looks like it might be geared lower, which is the biggest flaw with the NAA, and the diesel is a huge plus. I use it mostly for raking hay, bush hoging, grading my dirt road and such.

Any info would be helpful.

/ Massey Fergusen 35 #3  
The Perkins diesel is one of the all-time great, classic diesel engines. With decent maintenance, it should give dependable service and last a very long time. That said, a Massey fanatic I know says Perkins' are prone to weeping oil on the floor... just something they do. That's his opinion, for what it's worth, not mine. Most old tractors I've seen have a drip or two. :laughing:

The 35 has been around since the 1950's and like any old machine, you'd have to see what kind of shape it's in.

If it's in good shape, it will probably bring a higher price than the NAA, but it is a step up.

/ Massey Fergusen 35 #4  
We have a NAA and I sure know what you mean about the gearing, it is much better on our later models. The MF is a good, powerful little tractor and as mentioned, depending on the shape should do a real good job for you.

We have a Perkins engine in our 1986 MF375 and while we have had electrical problems and such, the Perkins engine is still running strong without any oil leaks, but as mentioned a little oil leakage is not uncommon on older tractors.

/ Massey Fergusen 35 #5  
while the 35 is a great tractor.. I'd look for a lil more step up since you are coming from an NAA.

it's a step up.. just not a huge one... now if you don't need extra hp.. just better gear and diesel.. then perhaps even a 2000/3000 with an 8spd and live pto.. though again.. same as the 35.. not a huge step up from the naa.. though the 2000/3000 will have easier to tap aux hyds..

good luck

soundguy

/ Massey Fergusen 35 #6  
I agree that the MF35 has a great selection of transmission gears. The three speeds plus the dual range feature gives you slow speed creeper gears that a lot of other tractors do not have. Henry Ford took too long to realize the value of low speed gearing. As pointed out, however, if you already have an NAA, your next move might be to a larger tractor than an MF35 , just as long as you get the good low speed gearing too.

/ Massey Fergusen 35
Actually my whole philosohy is toward smaller and more efficient equipment. I am no fanatic but I would rather see 30hp coming from a 35 hp tractor than from a 100 hp tractor. I trully believe that the world of bigger and better is what got us into this economical mess, but thats a whole different topic. What really appeals to me is the diesel engine. It has more power and uses less fuel than the gassers. I have other diesel equipment and simplifieing the fuel in the field would be nice. I also like the lower gearing. The hydraulics is a little issue, I have a couple of mowers with a hydraulic lift, but I can't use them on the NAA either right now. The guy is asking $2800 and I talked to him he says its in good working condition, not perfect but very functional. It came with a farm he bought and he doesn't use it much.

/ Massey Fergusen 35 #8  
The Perkins diesel is one of the all-time great, classic diesel engines. With decent maintenance, it should give dependable service and last a very long time. That said, a Massey fanatic I know says Perkins' are prone to weeping oil on the floor... just something they do. That's his opinion, for what it's worth, not mine. Most old tractors I've seen have a drip or two. :laughing:

The 35 has been around since the 1950's and like any old machine, you'd have to see what kind of shape it's in.

If it's in good shape, it will probably bring a higher price than the NAA, but it is a step up.

The MF35 was produced from 1960-63. In 1964 MF introduced the 135 as the 35 replacement. I have a 1964 MF135 with the Perkins diesel and multipower. Bought it in Jul06 for $3600. Runs fine. I cleaned it up, rewired (a simple job), repainted. Need to fix an oil leak from the engine as soon as I have time. And the rear seal on the pto shaft needs to be replace (an easy job).

There's a small weep hole under the clutch housing. Clean out that hole with a small twist drill or piece of wire and look for any fluid dripping out. A few drops is normal; a lot more out of that hole could mean that the rear main bearing seal is leaking (pretty common on the Perkins).

Check the clutch out thoroughly. The 2-stage clutch on my 135 has run out of adjustment range and it's becoming increasingly harder to shift into the pto run position. I'll probably be doing a clutch job on my 135 pretty soon (have to split the tractor for that one).

The previous owner had replace the 12V generator with a 12V single-wire Delco 10si alternator on my 135 (MF introduced alternators for the 135 in 1968 or 69). Makes wiring simpler since the voltage regulator is built into the alternator.

Good luck.

/ Massey Fergusen 35 #9  
The hydraulics is a little issue, I have a couple of mowers with a hydraulic lift, but I can't use them on the NAA either right now. .

why not? getting SA hyds out of a naa to run the lift cyl on a towed implement is easy beans.

takes a piece of scrap chain and a hyd hose..

you chain the 3pt lift arms down, and then pull the pipe plug from the option cover under the seat and put a line with a right angle in there.. or optionally you can pull a plug down by your rigth foot and tap in there and run that line to a qd.. just plug the implement line into that qd, and then link the chain thru the upper lift arm knuckle around the axle, and the ecercise your 3pt control to lift/lower the rear implement.

if you want to get fance and run multiple circuits on an implement.. say tail wheel and something else, then run that line to an open center hyd valve, and the return to a fitting tapped into your hyds fill bung ( or the hyds drain.. etc.. I'd opt for fill ).. then run the work ports from that valve to the various cyls.. etc. chain the 3pt and lif tthe 3pt handle to start oil flowing thru the open center valve.. then use it's ports as needed.

a variation of this scheme works on all fords from 39 thru 64.. in 65 ford made it even easier for you to do that with a form of a diverter valve built in.. thus no chaining..

soundguy

/ Massey Fergusen 35 #10  
the multipower can be a pain and not work leaving your tractor with no engine braking maybe something to consider if you are in hilly terrain. I have a 165 with multipower and a perkins.