Advice on buying used.

/ Advice on buying used. #1  

rogersmithiii

Tractor
Gravely 16G / Deere 310 L
I'm about to spring for a tractor / loader, in the line of a Kubota 3400 or 4400HST, or the JD equivalent. I'd hate to buy a new one, and then send it into the dirt and mud to get filthy. I'd also like to save the huge depreciation charge that goes with a new unit.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to buy a used one. I'm concerned that used tractors have been used pretty hard, and get exposed to a whole lot of wear and tear and abuse. I'd be even more leery of a rental unit with low hours that people treated like poop.

Can people throw their ideas in as to how to go about buying a used tractor without making a major mistake? All thoughts welcomed.

Thanks
Rog

/ Advice on buying used. #2  
I'm about to spring for a tractor / loader, in the line of a Kubota 3400 or 4400HST, or the JD equivalent. I'd hate to buy a new one, and then send it into the dirt and mud to get filthy. I'd also like to save the huge depreciation charge that goes with a new unit.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to buy a used one. I'm concerned that used tractors have been used pretty hard, and get exposed to a whole lot of wear and tear and abuse. I'd be even more leery of a rental unit with low hours that people treated like poop.

Can people throw their ideas in as to how to go about buying a used tractor without making a major mistake? All thoughts welcomed.

Thanks
Rog

Sure. If you've never owned a tractor the size of the 3400 or 4400, I'd suck it up and buy a new one with a good warranty and from a dealer with a good service operation. Shop around for financing deals. You'll get peace of mind doing it this way.

After you get more experience owning and operating your new tractor, then plunge into the used tractor market, if you need another larger or smaller tractor.

/ Advice on buying used. #3  
I have been operating tractors for a LOT of years, but still won't buy used unless I have my brother who is a mechanic check it out or unless the seller has a copy of all service and repair work done.

I could probably do it on my own, but there is nothing like the extra set of eyes or knowing the history. I bought my last one from the dealer where it was originally sold and got all of the paperwork with it.

If you can't find a really good deal, then as flusher says, go for a new one if you can swing it as the difference in price between a new one and used one is often not all that much.

/ Advice on buying used. #4  
Pay a tractor mechanic to inspect it.

It will cost you 100 bucks.

Or do like I did way back when, buy a bad one and learn by fixing all the buggered up things!:laughing:

/ Advice on buying used. #5  
since your wanting an HST,looking for a used 1 is like looking for a needle in a haystack.they are few an far between unless some1 is trading up to a bigger tractor.your best bet is to suck it up an buy a new 1.plus they want close to new prices for the used 1s.

/ Advice on buying used. #6  
Rentals often get a bad rap. I recently talked with the owner of a rental yard- everything from a Kub 3400 with loader, to tracked dozers and excavators that need to be moved with a lowboy. He says that their rentals get better service than the "one owner, low hours" stuff on Craig's List. Because EVERY time a unit comes in they clean it, and check it out for damage or wear. (Most customers buy the insurance add-on, so repairs or replacement parts are covered by the insurance.
But you need to buy direct from the rental yard, not at auction! That's where the equipment is sold "As IS"- but often is "As ISN'T":laughing:

/ Advice on buying used. #7  
One can get a pretty good idea of the condition from the appearance. I wouldn't expect it to be in show room condition but I can tell when a tractor (or any other piece of equipment) has been abused. I tried looking for used before I bought my present tractor. I was amazed at the tractors that I looked at with less than 1000 hours that were just totally beat to death. And the prices of the used where only about 20% less than new. I ended up buying new and am glad of it.

/ Advice on buying used. #8  
I'm on my third CUT, all used and purchased from dealers. Two were from the same dealer.
I know the local dealer and he has a good reputation (although not the cheapest guy around) for customer service. I'd worked with several guys who purchased equipment from him...no complaints (even about his higher prices).

However, if you don't know any dealers...and no acquaintances that can recommend one, it's probably best buying new or late used.
As far as depreciation...just think about your needs and buy the tractor you'll keep for at least 5 years (and keep it fairly nice). You'll be OK then.

Last edited:
   / Advice on buying used. #9  
I bought used from an individual and have been pleased. I had a friend that is a tractor mechanic go with me to look. Now that I have owned a tractor for a couple of years I would be more comfortable without his help. After looking at couple of used tractors it became easy to tell if the tractor had been abused. Bent bucket, bent sheet metal (cracked plastic for some brands), chunks missing from tires, etc. are a sure sign of abuse or misuse. Any tractor with a few hours is going to have a few scratches. Good luck finding the right tractor.

/ Advice on buying used. #10  
Two methods:

I have an AG friend who said the other day:

"If your buying a used tractor go in and take one of those Lg. funnel/filter thingys and a magnet and have who ever your buying from do an engine oil and a hydro fluid change. The "spilling your guts" method:thumbsup:
plus if you do buy the unit your starting with clean fluids.

What I did was decide what I wanted (an eyhdro deere with loader) and checked out TH and CL and every avenue I could find _ "hey budy I'm lookin for a....
and I've got cash'ola
took a few months but then
IMHO got a sweet deal on my 4610 w/460 for $13,500 in 2009

The tractors I know are not like cars - they last

There is a bota grand L5 series in Carthage - sweet hydro,CAB FEL - NICE TRACTOR an '08 IIRC with 450 hours for 21K

Point is if ya got cash and can take your time there are some nice tractors out there

If you dont have cash then 0apr on any Deere will be as good investmentn as the stock market (prolly same for other brands) and let me tell you its alot more fun than any flipping statement

good luck and post pics of what ever you get:)