Mahindra 5035 or Deere 4320

/ Mahindra 5035 or Deere 4320 #1  

gilraine

Bronze Member
Tractor
none yet
I am looking at these two machines for our hobby farm. its about 46 acres, 35 of which are clear... were going to be bush hogging, skidding logs, running a grapple and feeding round bales primarily... I also would like to be able to grow some of my own hay in the future.. I understand it may not make sense dollar wise, but I would like to be able to say I grew that.. the main issue it that we must have a HST style drive, SWMBO has a bad left knee..any major digging can be done with the Deere 500 TLB I have...I got a price on the 5035 of 28,900 with R4s, one rear hydro remote and rimgaurd in the tires....the Deere I have gotten a quote of 31,500 with R4s, 2 rear remotes and rimgaurd... one issue is the deere is 0% for 60 months, the mahindra he said was 1.9 for 60 months...I liked the Deere better, seemed to fit me better, She didnt have a preference..how awful are those prices????any thoughts as to which would be better for me???

/ Mahindra 5035 or Deere 4320 #2  
The 5035 is 1200lbs heavier, loader lifts 500lbs more, tractor is probably wider, but I don't see a width for the JD. The 5035 is 75.4 inches wide. You can get 2 rear remotes on the 5035 if you want and there should be 0% for 60 month financing. Financing is shown at top of TBNs home page.
I'm guessing that the Mahindra would do the work easier, being bigger and stronger.

My advice, if you like the Deere, then that is the machine to get. ;) It would be no fun being on the 5035 and thinking that you would have been more comfortable on the 4320. I'm sure that the JD will get the work done and if you are more comfortable on it, then it is the tractor to get.

Just my opinion.

/ Mahindra 5035 or Deere 4320 #3  
I'd go with the 4320

/ Mahindra 5035 or Deere 4320 #4  
Especially for the work he wants to do which involves lifting and pulling, the 2 tractors are not even comparable in size. 1200# is not a little more weight, it is 38% heavier, and that is basicly a whole frame size jump. If the Deere does it for him, by all means buy the Deere, but the 2 tractors aren't even in the same class. I checked Deere's models, and probably the 4520 is the closest model to the Mahindra 5035.

/ Mahindra 5035 or Deere 4320
are there any other machines we should take a look at?? i went back to the Mahindra dealer, spent about an hour with the dealer and drove his personal machine( 5035 HST) for a little while.. this machine with 110 hours felt much better than the new one did, almost like the HST on the new one wasnt adjusted right.. he agreed that the new one had something wrong and its getting fixed...i did confirm that 0% for 60 is available for the Mahindra, guess I heard him wrong yesterday..i looked at the Kubota MX5100 and did not like it compared with the Mahindra..

/ Mahindra 5035 or Deere 4320 #6  
I was going to suggest an LS U5020, but it is not available with HST. It does have a power shuttle (no clutching forward and reverse) 16x16 trans though. LS is supposed to be the best bang for the buck right now. Any Kioti dealers close by?(DK50HE HST) All the Korean tractors are good machines for reasonable prices, but they all do not have HST available in the size that you are looking for.

I am a Mahindra guy, have 2 of them. My 7520 is among the best in its class. My 3215 is in the middle of its class. With the little research that I have done, I think that the 5035 is up towards the top in its class. If you are still considering the 5035, be sure to get that 2nd rear remote, might even add an electric over hydraulic 3rd function for the loader. A grapple is a great attachment to have at your disposal. If you are going to maintain your roads, top and tilt hydraulics are sure nice to have with about any implement that you maintain a road with.

All stuff to think about, good luck and please keep us informed. ;)

/ Mahindra 5035 or Deere 4320 #7  
Kubota L4400, Kubota Grand L 4240 or 5240, Massey Ferguson 1652, Branson 4720h. All these are available with HST, and are about the same size although not the same weight as the Mahindra.

Kioti, Bobcat, McCormick (all three by Daedong), CaseIH, and NewHolland (twins) all have HST tractors that have about 10% less horsepower than the Mahindra 5035 and JD 4320 but are about the same size.

/ Mahindra 5035 or Deere 4320 #8  
Especially for the work he wants to do which involves lifting and pulling, the 2 tractors are not even comparable in size. 1200# is not a little more weight, it is 38% heavier, and that is basicly a whole frame size jump. If the Deere does it for him, by all means buy the Deere, but the 2 tractors aren't even in the same class. I checked Deere's models, and probably the 4520 is the closest model to the Mahindra 5035.
The 4320 and 4520 (and 4120 & 4720) are all built on the same frame, with identical transmissions, hydraulics, etc. Overall weight on all 4x20 models is the same. The only real difference is the HP each unit makes. Unless the OP needs additional HP, the 4520 would be of no help.

/ Mahindra 5035 or Deere 4320 #9  
Of the functions you listed I cant see any that really require a heavy tractor, so if you really stick to them the significant added heft of the Mahindra wont be much advantage at best, and a hindrance at worst. The JD may be a better fit for you.
larry

/ Mahindra 5035 or Deere 4320 #10  
The JD sounds like the better rig for you. I once bought the cheaper tractor and always thought what the better one would be like. I don;t do that anymore. Get the right one for the job and the one you really want and dont look back...