Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick.

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick. #11  
o.k.-John,well your right it is not brain surgery, I prefered a factory gauge-where did you place you temp ga,my napa store is not as in tune as yours-but I will try it.

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick.
Grainger: If you want a "factory" lay-out for the temp guage, you will have to swap out the panel from the "D" model and run a different line to the sensor. You can't just add a NH guage to the existing panel-at least it doesn't appear that you can. I didn't push the dealer on this one since it is a lot more money (I suspect) than just adding the guage (which he did agree to do). If you want a guage inside the existing panel (rather than added to the cowling) there is enough room to mount a small one where the NH guage SHOULD be. You'll have to remove the panel so you can hole saw it without damaging the stuff behind the panel. The problem with that though is you might have crap from NH if something happened. If you simply add guages to the cowling (in circuits separate and apart from the existing NH systems) you shouldn't have any problem-i.e. they would be hard pressed to evade warranty work on that basis. Once the guages are mounted, if you want it "pretty" make (carve) a male mold (from rigid foam, clay or similar) to a form (lines) similar to the existing NH cowling, use that to made a female mold into which you can pour urethene (or similar), or, you could simply build up a cover for your guage(s) using fibreglass on top of a wood mold. In any event, something that small would be easy to do and the thing will end up looking (sort of) like it was designed that way. I havn't got my tractor yet, but I've looked at the shape of the cowling and I think the guages will be mounted flanking the NH panel. I am going to the dealer's tomorrow to take measurements and see how I am going to lay it out. The problem of putting guages across the top is that the NH cowling is pretty high and rounded and an additional cowl for the guages would raise it another several inches. Again, its not brain surgery. One of the nice "easy to work on" things about the NH is that access from the engine compartment thru the "firewall" to the panel area is very easy, easier than many other brands (the JD 990 is also pretty good in this area). Put your guage(s) where you think they will look ok. After all, it's YOUR tractor, not New Hollands. Take care. John.

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick. #13  
well put-John. I have looked at a couple of gauges and may end up with it under the hood. I dont need to see it constanatly just want to verify thet the engine is at operating temp. Thanks for the ideas-let me know how yours looks-Lloyd

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick.
Grainger: I do have a digital camera in the office (for biz use). Will take a pic when done (if I don't forget-approaching senility and all). Have a nice New Years. John P.S. under hood will work (Farmall had its oil pressure guage on side of engine & the oil pressure guage on my Gravely garden tractor is under the hood). It's not quite as convenient positioned there but better than nothing. For checking that the engine is getting up to operating temp should be fine. However, temp guage is also good for monitoring "approaching" overheating if you are pushing it hard, and, if very hot but not overheating at shutdown you would know to let it idle down longer before turn-off. Actually, your comment just triggered brain neural activation vectors leading to possibility of investigating placing guage to side of engine (though not under hood) using a simple bracket so guage could at least be seen from seat. The NH engines are open below hood (not closed in as most other brands) so it would not interfere with opening/closing hood. Might be a good solution, and easier than running everything up to dash. Let me meditate on that. Anyway, take care. J

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick. #15  
Just letting you know, I have a Super C that my Kubota replaced. Have rebuilt the motor, now hopefully repainted when I get the time this spring.

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick. #16  
<font color=blue>"The only other tractor apt to make it to the 50 year mark was the JD 990 (JDs silly new computer chipped 4xxx series certainly will not)..."</font color=blue>

And why, may I ask, won't the 4xxx series make it to the 50 year mark? What is it you know about these tractors that have computer chips in them that the rest of us don't?

Please, I'm asking this objectively, not in a contentious spirit. I'm an owner of a 4710 and did plenty of research on this unit before purchasing. I can't fathom John Deere producing units that are not of the same comparable qualty as everything else they manufacture. Please educate me on what you know.

Bob