Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick.

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick. #1  

Anonymous Poster

Many thanks to all who have posted info on the current flock of compact tractors, Woodbeef, Kioti and many others in this forum & others. I finally made the decision on an updated replacement for my Farmall SC. Wanted a 2 liter engine (more or less), yet strong enough for a BH & loader and yet as "well made", simple and long lasting as the old Farmall. Nothing clearly matched, but I finally did the dirty deed yesterday. Your help most beneficial (along with much personal analysis, comparison, operating different units, hours spent crawling over, around and under different tractors examining them, actually studying the owner's manual, etc. for each of the 5 tractors I seriously considered). One of my many failings in life is that when I look at something I see not only the "thing" itself, but what came before (caused it) and what will come after (consequences). Each of you has, perhaps, known people who, if you asked them the time, will explain the theory of watch making. The info and comments posted on this site (and others) contributed to that process and helped lessen the burden. Again, to all, thanks. John H. P.S. In case anyone might wonder, what did I buy? NH-TC40 (geared version), deluxe hitch package (w-folding ROPS), LA16 loader with quick attach (skid steer compatible), 72" HD bucket, rear remotes, 758C BH with 36" cemetery bucket, complete set of service manuals & parts manual, and, the dealer has to install a temp guage. How much? $26,500 cash. What other brands did I seriously consider? Kubota 3830, JD 990, Mahindra 4110 and the Century 3045. The price range of all of these was almost identical-the difference between the lowest to highest was less than $2k!!! Like most things in life, each had strengths and weaknesses but all would have "worked" at least for the immediate future. So why the TC40? That's a long story. . . but my Farmall was 50 years old, still running good and doing useful work. I wanted something that was likely to still be useable 50 years from now, have available parts, be easy to work on, proven design (at least the engine/transmission), etc. etc. Yes, folks, I will be dead 50 years from now so why worry!!! The only other tractor apt to make it to the 50 year mark was the JD 990 (JDs silly new computer chipped 4xxx series certainly will not). Anyway, many, many thanks guys for everything you have contributed here that lightened my journey.

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick. #2  
Plant-M- Deep

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick.
Mark: bought the grave/cemetery bucket because its easier to pick up a regular bucket later & get a better deal if bucket bought with tractor-so buy the more expensive bucket with the tractor. Easier to find a regular bucket used than a cemetery bucket used. Only do occasional grave work, usually exhuming ("harvesting"!!!) bodies, rather than "planting" them. JEH

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick. #4  
Hey Grimreaper,

Hope you enjoy the blue one,and get good service from it!!

Just remember now "3-7-77"

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick. #5  
Congratulations!

I picked out the almost identical one except I got the "D" package and no backhoe. I used similar evaluation criteria and was ready to buy a geared tractor, but a barely-used HST fell into my lap at a price lower than any new comparable one. I was surprised at how affordable the NH geared tractors were when compared to the known and lesser-known brands.

Mine will be delivered within the next 8 hours. I'm so excited I can hardly sit still and type...

Anyway, I hope you will write a review after you've used it a while and post some pics of your new baby when it arrives. And please share your experiences (good and bad) in the NH Owning/Operating forum.

Mark

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick. #6  
Congrats there Grim-reaper, can you share which dealer you bought from, I wnat a temp ga on my TC and the dealer is not to much help,maybe I can get some info from them-Thanks-LLoyd P.S we love our TC !! best wishes

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick. #7  
congratulation: SOUNDS like you and the REAPER gave yourselves a very nice christmas gift. good luck with them. keep us posted

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick.
Woodbeef: ok, I give up ... "3-7-77" ????

Mark: You sound really excited. By now, you should have it. Would like to have mine but only because snow is on the way and I sold the Farmall a month ago. So . . . will have to push snow with a 1966 Gravely L (6.6 "real" hp) two wheel garden tractor (just dropped the mower & mounted the blade this evening). It does have duals though.

Grainer: Re: temp guage you can pick up one at NAPA (or similar). Will come with a sensor, line and guage. Plug in the sensor, string the line and mount the guage. Or, have the dealer do it-in fact, if you are concerned about warranty issues you probably should have the dealer do it. Just tell him to do it. Our labor rate around here is $50 hr (more or less). The temp guage was part of the deal when I bought the tractor-I wouldn't have bought it without a temp guage. In fact, I wanted them to make New Holland pay for it, but the dealer didn't want to bug them about it. Actually, I will be mounting all needed guages: oil pressure, ammeter and the temp guage. An oil pressure guage tells you more than whether all the oil has run out, the ammeter tells you more than the battery is dead (or, more accurately, that the alternator isn't charging), and, the temp guage tells you more than that the anti-freeze has boiled out (you can tell that easily enough from the pungent smell of boiled anti-freeze and steam rolling out from under the hood-even if you miss the warning light coming on). When they started replacing guages in automobiles with warning lights, they were referred to as idiot lights, and for good reason. Since you asked, the dealer I bought from was Mordt Tractor (Bob C) in Troy, Missouri. They are good folks, but any dealer can install a guage for you. Just tell them to do it. Its not brain surgery.

Frank: You are right, when you buy your own christmas present you always get what you want! Unfortunately, this was not a present as I anticipate using it for profit activity.

Best wishes, happy winter solstice, christmas or hanukka (or whatever). John

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick. #9  
Hey Grimreaper,

If you're ever in Montana,and get pulled over by a State Trooper,it is on his shoulder patch!!

It dates back to the gold rush days up around the Virginia City area. It was painted on the front doors of the bushwackers, robbers,theives,and other unwanted element of society(usually the local law enforcement fit into these categories) up there,by the local vigilantes(Masons actually) What it denotes is the size of the hole for a grave; 3' wide,7' deep,77" long..........Once it was on your door if you were not gone by the next sunset..........well you'd be checking those measurements first hand!!

/ Thanks to all . . . my tractor pick. #10  
hhhhmmmmm........the more I look at the dimensions,the more I think I might have the lenght and the depth reversed. But then again,maybe not.........