Reporting Back - 100 hours on NH TC33D

/ Reporting Back - 100 hours on NH TC33D #1  

Newland

Last winter I spent a lot of time on this website and got an incredible amout of information that helped me with my tractor purchase. I thought I'd report back after about 100 hours. I wound up getting a NH TC33D with Heavy Duty bucket for $17K last April. So far the size seams perfect for my 11 acres. With the hills I have, I sure wouldn't want a smaller engine. It was almost a year old on the lot (4 hours on meter) and they gave me super steer for "free" if I took this one instead of ordering one. The super steer has proved very useful manuevering the tractor inside our horse barn. I got industrial tires, sun roof ($300) and tooth bar ($300 installed). I also got a 5' NewHolland Rotary Cutter and and a 6' RDTH72 rear discharge Bush Hog finish mower. So far I've been very happy with it. The only problems were the fuel gauge failed and I ran out of fuel. I think it was the Sending Unit they replaced to make the fuel gauge read accurately again. Running out of fuel was a much bigger pain than I imagined. There wasn't even enough battery capacity to crank the engine enough to prime the fuel system. I gave up with a dead battery. I'm emabarassed to say the dealer had to come out with a larger battery and prime the sytem for me. The other porblem was clearing lots of stcker bushes led to 2 flat front tires. I put in some permanent sealant and have never had a problem again with the front tires.

I ended up using a 9" PHD from TSC on sale for $300 to do 200 post holes without a problem - other than busted shear bolts. Also it was impossible to dig holes during the dry summer - the auger would spin like a top on parched earth that it had sliced through like butter in the spring.

Never broke a shear bolt on the "light duty" rottary cutter even though I ran over some big rocks that dented the deck.

I even got the nerve to finally mow a 24 degree slope by backing up it. It worked out fine, certainly I never went sideways. I have a tilt meter on on my tractor that I learned about on this site and that has been very useful. Not only for safety but when using the auger I could do a quick check. I found my holes were straight enough if I was within 3 degrees or so of level.

The sun roof is great and makes a big difference if you don't like the sun beating on you. A single rear work light gave plenty of light for rear work at night.
The loader was put to use making a gravel drive, carrying 16' fence boards and even digging a level play area into a slight hillside using the tooth bar. By the way the tooth bar was critial to support the 16' fence boards I'd haul around by laying them across the bucket. I used the FEL for plowing this winter and its OK since we don't have lots of road. I have to think if you got a lot of plowing, a blade would be worth having. I found plowing with the FEl a bit of a pain but maybe its my inexperience.

I chose the New Holland because it seemed more comfortable for me and had, what seemed to me, nicer amenities. I haven't been disappointed and still look forward to getting in the seat whenever possible.

/ Reporting Back - 100 hours on NH TC33D #2  
Glad you're happy with your TC 33D...I bought mine in oct (TC33D 72" MMM, R4's).....Mowed only once---- 2.5 hours on meter......put it away till spring...It replaced a 25 year old Kubota L1500 DT my wife loved so the NH has a lot to live up to......Sure spoils me with the hydro and double the HP...Love it so far.............Tom

/ Reporting Back - 100 hours on NH TC33D #3  
Re: 100 hours on NH TC33D/PostHoleDiggers

Newland: You need "down pressure" to auger into dry clay/dirt. I have a Danuser F digger and they make a "down pressure" kit which I am going to have to get. My Farmall had down pressure on the 3 point hitch so it was no problem. The "newer" tractors do not offer down pressure, so you will have to use your remotes connected to a cylinder to apply pressure to "push" the auger into the ground until it bits. Of course, one advantage of no down pressure is you are less apt to get the auger "stuck". Digging out a stuck auger that you can't lift out of the ground is a pain (I know). Your other option (ha, ha) is to trade to a Zetor which has a reversible PTO so you can "unscrew" the thing. Glad you like your tractor. Hope I will like mine. JEH