Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030
Hmm, wonder if my ZTR does have an issue. It runs just fine over most grass, but the heavy stuff (and thick layers of leaves) does leave it gasping for breath. I'll have to look it over when I get a chance.

The problem with steering my ZTR in a straight line crops up when I'm on a slight side slope, going flat out. I have to use a very light touch to allow for the slope; just a tad too much, and the mower veers off the path. Then I have to stop, back up, and mow the strip that I missed. On a level surface, it's not too bad. I just prefer a steering wheel.

Plus, I don't care for the grass and dust storm that billows up around the mower during the dry spells. It leaves me rubbing my eyes, spitting dirt, and blowing dust out of my nose. Then when I'm done, I have to strip down and leave my dusty clothes outside. I'd rather it all happened behind me :D

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #12  
Not too many years ago, Kioti was a new kid on the block and had some good features that other brands didnt offer in the CUT and were much cheaper. They have now gotten a little to big for their pants in my opinion with their prices zooming and hassling their dealers which I have heard from several who recently decided to quit selling Kioti because of the distributor heavy handed tactics.
At this moment, LS tractors are entering the market under their own brand name and have some of the best deals around on their tractors. They are here to stay as a brand and have committed to being in the top 3 brands in sales in USA in the next 5 years. I think they have the most bang for the buck and better quality than any other tractor marketed including JD, MF, NH, Kioti, Mahindra and especially Kubota. I looked at all the above prior to buying my LS (LS was actually the last one I looked at) and I think the LS is the better tractor. I am not saying that the other brands are worthless and POS. They are all good tractors although a few of them think their paint is underlayered with 24K gold by their price. Check out used prices and then check out the deals you can get on new and you may decide that it is cheaper to buy new and get a 5 year LS warranty to boot. Good luck with whatever you choose to buy, I am sure if after careful consideration you will get the tractor that fits your rear end and budget.

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #13  
As for your ZTR mowing straight, someone told me that the secret to mowing straight was to look far ahead rather than try to look at the wheels. You will shortly see the variance in angle and can correct it before you get to far off. Kind of like riding a motorcycle, if you want to miss hitting a pot hole dont look at it, pick a spot ahead in a line that misses the hole and you will not hit it. Look at the hole and you will almost always hit it dead on.
If you have ever tried to lay out straight rows with a tractor, you have to do the same thing, Look off to the other end of your field or in this case lawn and line up on an object and kept your direction on that object and you will do much better. I did the same thing you are doing on my first time with the ZTR and finally figured out the way to keep it on tract. Try it and see.

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #14  
Kioti vs LS is a little like asking about Kubota vs Kioti six or seven years ago. One is clearly more established but the upstart comes along with a quality product at less money (and less security regarding the brand longevity and dealer network). I haven't seen the new LS tractors but they come from a respected manufacturer so I'm sure they are good machines.

We always talk about how important dealers are here on TBN but with these relatively less established lines even a good dealer has little control over their fate. Rick Wallace was a superb Kioti dealer but essentially got bounced due to Kioti policies on keeping large numbers of tractors on the lot. He now sells Bobcat (same tractor different color). If a dealer carries other lines besides LS I would feel more comfortable buying LS from him. LS may go away but he will have experienced mechanics and presumably will support his customers. Parts may be a little more of a problem but LS is a big company and their tractor models are sold under a number of other colors and names so parts should still be available.

In comparing the specs, I note that the LS has only a two speed HST compared to the Kioti's 3 speed. That is a pretty big feature to consider. That middle range is really the mowing range on slopes and is important for loader work too. The Kioti also is heavier I believe though they have similar features otherwise based on the brochure.

The real issue then comes down to whether the extra savings is worth the extra risk. Back in the day, I chose Kioti over Kubota and have never regretted the decision even though two dealers I used no longer carry the line.

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #15  
Having just been to the New York state farm show and comparing the Kioti and the LS tractors I'd go Kioti. The fit and finish is far better on the Kioti then on the LS tractors displayed at the show. The housings on the LS looked like they were crude as far as the amount of slag hanging off the LS chassis. The hoods and dash, while they didn't fit right either! To have a machine that is new and to have that bad of fit external, while what do you think it might be like on the inside? There are some quality control issues that they should deal with as they were not a pretty sight to me.

Just my observations

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #16  
Having just been to the New York state farm show

If I were taking my product to a farm show, I'd make sure it was prepped as well as a 1932 Rolls Royce at the Pebble Beach Concourse de Elegance!

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #17  
Some of it was just clean-up. Some of it was factory. Panel fit was bad and miss colored on the plastic. The castings were extremely crude and I feel that the poor quality of the forgings left a lot to be desired. The metal fit was also lacking.

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #18  
Some of it was just clean-up. Some of it was factory. Panel fit was bad and miss colored on the plastic. The castings were extremely crude and I feel that the poor quality of the forgings left a lot to be desired. The metal fit was also lacking.

The LS tractors that I looked at at the Tulare World AG Expo back in February were all very nice. No, I didn't get under them and check out the undercarriages to see how the castings were, but fit and finish were good at a glance. As far as I know, they had every model that they offer there. What this tells me is that they have a quality control problem or one of us is being overly critical. :confused3: Don't know, don't really care. ;)

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030

Interesting. I thought the LS's I checked out looked good, but I don't have much to compare them to. I did notice, however, that the dealer had trouble locking down the hood after he shut it...

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #20  
You know after looking for six months far and wide in Texas (where I live) at just about every tractor, even a vietnamese place up here - I found it to be just the opposite.
But then again - I didnt look at them with bias.
That is to say I didnt already own a tractor and look at LS with bias.
I have had many locals look and drive mine (who have allot more experience than I) and come away with nothing but positive praises.