Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #1  

Perplexed

Silver Member
It's me again :D I'm still researching CUT's with the primary purpose of finish-mowing 3 acres of mostly flat, open lawn. There will be occasional earth moving and snow removal, so I'd like a little extra "oomph" for those occasions. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

I was wondering what you folks thought would be a better choice, the Kioti CK27HST or the LS J2030, also with HST. I test-drove the latter the other day and liked it a lot, but have yet to try the Kioti, as the closest dealer is approximately 45 miles away (the LS dealer being half that distance). On paper, it sounds like the Kioti might be the better bang for the buck, but I almost fell out of my chair when I saw how much it weighs: 3,117 lbs! :eek: That's about TWICE as much as the LS2030 weighs...

Now I'm wondering what the deal is there. Is the Kioti really that much beefier than the LS? Will I notice the difference as far as power delivery goes (both having very similar output)? I realize that a heavier tractor is better for earth and snow moving, but wouldn't that be a disadvantage for driving across a turf lawn?

Thoughts and comments appreciated!

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #2  
The Kioti's are certainly better at earth moving than mowing but if you get the turf tires and drop the loader, it will make a pretty good mower too. With that said, I don't mow with it as it's just an earth mover for me.

I can attest to the weight in the Kioti resulting in brute strength. I have crawled all over my CK20HST and it is very well made with some thick steel exactly where you want it. I read on these forums very often about these other tractors cracking frames, snapping axles, and bending tie rods and I'm glad I got a hefty little tractor. Personally, I would rather have a solid well made tractor that's a little heavy on the turf vs a light tractor that will mow good but be useless when it comes to moving dirt.

If your looking for a primary mower then you might be better off with a feather-weight like the LS or a Kubota.

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #3  
Don't know anything about the LS. But compared to JD, Kubota, NH, and just about everything else the Kioti/BC's are obviously heavier built, especially in the transaxles. I've been very happy with mine as a digging/hauling machine. Outstanding stability and really puts the power to the ground. However, due to that weight, if you have a lot of PTO under motion chores, and you are going HST, go for the CK30 or CK35 for the extra HP. If mowing is a primary chore, a lighter machine would be a better choice.

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #4  
I have a Kioti ck27HST and use it for all kinds of chores including mowing. I left it with the industrial tires and as long as it didn't just rain i have no problem mowing the yard and along the driveway. I bought it over overs specifically because it does weigh more and i can use it to get firewood out of the woods. It is a very well built tractor and i highly recommend it. The weight is important if you are going to use it for loader work too. It's built like a small ag tractor and not a big lawn mower.

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #5  
First off, if you are going to compare tractors, compare apples to apples. The LS model you are looking at is an SCUT which is a more of a glorified lawn mower. If you want to compare an LS model to a CK27 look at the I 3030 HST model. It more closely represents a model comparison with 2780 lb weight. If you are looking for an SCUT, you are going to be surprised at the size of the Kioti and likely the price will be quiet a bit more also. I know that when you compare the correct model for model you will be impressed with the LS models and when you hear the price you will be sold. Also look at the difference in standard equipment on the LS compared to all the others.
Check out the LS forum way down at the bottom of the main index and you can get some insight to what other buyers are finding with these tractors.

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030
First off, if you are going to compare tractors, compare apples to apples. The LS model you are looking at is an SCUT which is a more of a glorified lawn mower. If you want to compare an LS model to a CK27 look at the I 3030 HST model. It more closely represents a model comparison with 2780 lb weight. If you are looking for an SCUT, you are going to be surprised at the size of the Kioti and likely the price will be quiet a bit more also. I know that when you compare the correct model for model you will be impressed with the LS models and when you hear the price you will be sold. Also look at the difference in standard equipment on the LS compared to all the others.
Check out the LS forum way down at the bottom of the main index and you can get some insight to what other buyers are finding with these tractors.

Gary, thanks for the information. I'm beginning to get a sense of the general SCUT profile as opposed to a CUT. The more I look into these new tractors, the more I think about a used CUT - something around 2000-2200 lbs with no attachments, Hydrastat, 22-25 hp at the PTO, and a price tag that won't induce sticker shock ;)

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #7  
the primary purpose of finish-mowing 3 acres of mostly flat, open lawn.

In my opinion- worth little, since my mowing-by-tractor experience is limited to a 6' Bush Hog on a 50HP Case- is that mowing is best accomplished with a machine designed for the purpose. That is a ZTR, the ONLY machine used by the mow-for-money folks.

Mowing 3 acres every week or two needs to be done fast and done well. A CUT will not measure up to the job like a ZTR.

Your budget may not support two machines, but your satisfaction of the jobs accomplished will. Browse the used machinery.

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030
In my opinion- worth little, since my mowing-by-tractor experience is limited to a 6' Bush Hog on a 50HP Case- is that mowing is best accomplished with a machine designed for the purpose. That is a ZTR, the ONLY machine used by the mow-for-money folks.

Mowing 3 acres every week or two needs to be done fast and done well. A CUT will not measure up to the job like a ZTR.

Your budget may not support two machines, but your satisfaction of the jobs accomplished will. Browse the used machinery.

Day,

I already have a 22-hp 52" ZTR. While it does the job of mowing, it's not easy to get the ZTR to mow the long, straight lines of my front lawn, and it bogs down in the spots with thicker grass. I end up having to mow with 1/3 of the deck at a crawl. Plus, I want to do some earth moving, and I want to be able to clear snow off the 150-yard-long driveway. Not things you'd do with a ZTR :D I'd keep the ZTR for mowing the tight, wooded spots in the back, though.

Thanks for the advice!

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #9  
Wow; my bad! I would think 22HP cutting 52" would handle anything that could be called a 'lawn'. Others on this site say 5HP per foot are required for a bush hog, so your 22 horses are right there. Maybe some ZTR pros can chime in on this. I'll sit down, and shut up!:confused2:

/ Kioti CK27HST vs. LS J2030 #10  
Sounds like there may be a problem with the ZTR. I've cut thick damp lawn (that NEEDED cutting) with mine at only slightly reduced speeds. I've only got 21HP with a 54" deck and running mulching blades. And if it wouldn't cut full width I'd be PO'ed. Ask my dealer:laughing: As for straight lines, it sounds like some adjusting may be required. I have to do that once in a while on mine. But I can hold mine full forward and run a straight line for the length of the front yard, about 1000ft .

The Kioti is a nice tractor. I looked at a CK 27S before I bought the Kubota. The CK was about 2500 dollars more without the HST. But I gotta admit, it felt nice and I was sorely tempted. It is bigger and it drove well. The controls seemed to be well placed and easy to use. Although my dealer didn't have one with a bh and fel, which I was looking for. And for me, it's size and weight would have put it at a dis-advantage.

We have a new LS dealer in town. I looked, but passed since I don't know where they'll be next year.