Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #11  
Do your opinions change when you find out the Case is now $3,000 cheaper? I think it may have just made the decision for me.

No, I would expect the Kubota to cost more in the first place. As mentioned, try both before deciding. If price is that big of deal, you can probably get something even cheaper than the Case.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST
TripleR said:
No, I would expect the Kubota to cost more in the first place. As mentioned, try both before deciding. If price is that big of deal, you can probably get something even cheaper than the Case.

The MSRP on both are almost the same.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #13  
The MSRP on both are almost the same.

That certainly should be a consideration, I did not realize that.

I would contact another dealer to see if he could bring the price down and go from there.

Price still doesn't matter to me though. I spent most of my life pinching pennies and no longer have to and I also had to live a long time with a tractor I did not like. So for me at least, I am willing to pay more if it means I get what I really want.

Now I am not rich by any means, just old and picking up speed towards the bottom of the hill and someone recently told me i couldn't take it with me.

As always YMMV.

Just to reiterate, I am not saying to get one over the other, just be sure to get the one you want.

TripleR I actually did call around today with no luck on having a Kubota price better than what the local dealer cut me on Saturday. I even sent Barlow's the price of the Case and they couldn't match it for the Kubota.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #15  
Price still doesn't matter to me though. I spent most of my life pinching pennies and no longer have to and I also had to live a long time with a tractor I did not like. So for me at least, I am willing to pay more if it means I get what I really want.

Now I am not rich by any means, just old and picking up speed towards the bottom of the hill and someone recently told me i couldn't take it with me.
:thumbsup: TripleR, my thoughts exactly, I'm not going to settle for a tractor that I really do not want, just because the real one I want cost a few more $$. I bit the bullet and buy the one I want. Or for that matter, anything at all, I buy what I want, and just like you, I'm not rich just realizing life can change so fast and as far as I know we only have one life to live.Oh yes my new Grand L 3540 shoud be here in a week or so, Yeah!!!!!!!!!
DevilDog

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #16  
with the cost of new tractors its an investment in something that youll have for 20 or 30yrs.so its best to invest your money wisely.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #17  
The HST on the Case is a beatiful thing. You have a push button range change(located on the joystick!). It is like flying a jet. As you move into a pile, you can move to the lower range at just the right moment with the simple push of your thumb. One ought to look up users perspective of this transmission. This is done with minimal electronics(and no computer).

The Kubota has the same sort of feature, but it is a completely automatic, computer driven deal. To each their own.

For the record, the Class III case tractors(the type being contemplated) has the brakes on the opposite side of the HST pedals(which are side by side, not the treadle pedal), and the brakes are completely usable for turning assistance. Kubota's smaller tractors have the same sort of transmission/brake control that has been criticized.

From my perspective, it would be hard to come up with a criticism of the transmission design of this model(Case) of tractor. It is unlikely that the criticism is experience based.

Chris

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #18  
TripleR I actually did call around today with no luck on having a Kubota price better than what the local dealer cut me on Saturday. I even sent Barlow's the price of the Case and they couldn't match it for the Kubota.

Then you will have to decide how important the savings are in addition to which tractor you prefer. My preference after having owned a Case for 12 years and now owning Kubotas as well as other brands, is for the Kubota. Others with equal or more experience will choose the Case.

Price still doesn't matter to me though. I spent most of my life pinching pennies and no longer have to and I also had to live a long time with a tractor I did not like. So for me at least, I am willing to pay more if it means I get what I really want.[/B

:thumbsup: TripleR, my thoughts exactly, I'm not going to settle for a tractor that I really do not want, just because the real one I want cost a few more $$. I bit the bullet and buy the one I want. Or for that matter, anything at all, I buy what I want, and just like you, I'm not rich just realizing life can change so fast and as far as I know we only have one life to live.Oh yes my new Grand L 3540 should be here in a week or so, Yeah!!!!!!!!!
DevilDog

That was driven home to me again this week when I lost a friend in a car crash.

Be sure to post pictures of your new tractor, that is a nice little machine.

The HST on the Case is a beatiful thing. You have a push button range change(located on the joystick!). It is like flying a jet. As you move into a pile, you can move to the lower range at just the right moment with the simple push of your thumb. One ought to look up users perspective of this transmission. This is done with minimal electronics(and no computer).

The Kubota has the same sort of feature, but it is a completely automatic, computer driven deal. To each their own.

For the record, the Class III case tractors(the type being contemplated) has the brakes on the opposite side of the HST pedals(which are side by side, not the treadle pedal), and the brakes are completely usable for turning assistance. Kubota's smaller tractors have the same sort of transmission/brake control that has been criticized.

From my perspective, it would be hard to come up with a criticism of the transmission design of this model(Case) of tractor. It is unlikely that the criticism is experience based.

Chris

Anything can be criticized, I am on record as hating brakes on the left and will never own another tractor so equipped. Our John Deere is like that, so lets not get into the lack of experience thing.

Bottom line is some people like them one way and some the other or they would all be the same.

On paper these tractors are pretty close. Here's a few specifications I copied the other day that I thought would matter. Note I did compare the Mahindra 4035 and John Deere 4120 as well. The JD won in more categories, but the dealer here didn't even bother to call me back when he was going to quote me a price. Also, Case didn't list ground clearance so I had to pull that from the New Holland Boomer 3045. (BTW I formatted the text below, but when I post it jumbles it all together.)

Model Kubota L3940 Case IH Farmall 45
Engine HP 40.5 45
PTO HP 31.5 37.8
Fuel tank capacity 13.2 13
total hydraulic flow gpm 14.7 14.9
3 point hitch lift @ 24" behind pins 2760 2330
wheelbase in. 74.6 73.5
overall length with 3 point hitch 129.5 125.2
height to top of ROPS 97.4 95
overall width 66.5 66.6
weight 3627 3454
min ground clearance in 14.6 12.5
min turning radius ft 8.9 not listed
loader max lift capacity at pins lbs 1867 2000
loader max lift height at pins in 102.2 105

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #20  
TriplR

My preference after having owned a Case for 12 years and now owning Kubotas as well as other brands, is for the Kubota.

Are you comparing 10-20 year old farm tractors with modern Grand Series Kubotas, whose design is targeted to luxury car owners who don't care about $3000. I would suggest a test drive of the modern NH/Case equivelant to your kubota, the 3040.

Anything can be criticized, and that was why I made the statement "from my perspective".

Overszd wrote:

Then to go to the big debate issue on this forum, can you use the individual wheel brakes and the HST at the same time?? My Brother In Law's NH you cannot. My Brother's L3240HST you can.

While what he said was not incorrect in its details, it was incorrect in its implication(and therefore wrong). I corrected that information in a nice way, and now you are criticizing the correction.

So, my perpective is that some Kubota owners feel the need to criticize other's tractors for reasons which one can surmise. It is just silly. Why do such a thing. Educate us about your tractor, and tractors you know about. Let the fact speak for themselves.

Whatever tractor the OP picks will be just fine. All the machines have good reputations, and she is clearly doing her due diligence.

Chris