Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #21  
TriplR

Are you comparing 10-20 year old farm tractors with modern Grand Series Kubotas, whose design is targeted to luxury car owners who don't care about $3000. I would suggest a test drive of the modern NH/Case equivalent to your kubota, the 3040.

Anything can be criticized, and that was why I made the statement "from my perspective".

Overszd wrote:

While what he said was not incorrect in its details, it was incorrect in its implication(and therefore wrong). I corrected that information in a nice way, and now you are criticizing the correction.

So, my perspective is that some Kubota owners feel the need to criticize others tractors for reasons which one can surmise. It is just silly. Why do such a thing. Educate us about your tractor, and tractors you know about. Let the fact speak for themselves.

Whatever tractor the OP picks will be just fine. All the machines have good reputations, and she is clearly doing her due diligence.

Chris

No, I bought my Grand L5030 about this time last year after comparing the Grand L40's to comparable NH/Case machines as my dealer handles both NH as well as Kubota and another Kubota dealership handles Case and Kubota.

I am somewhat lost on the whole correcting the criticism part. I may have been able to understand your intend if you had referred to oversizd's post, I responded to your post "as is" and included it for clarification.

I do agree on not criticizing other machines, but oftentimes pointing out the differences can be confused with criticism.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #22  
I can't decide if the extra features of the Kubota will benefit me more than the extra HP and lifting capacity of the Case.
I figure the Kubota features may benefit me a whole lot early on, but once I become seasoned at operating the tractor they won't benefit me near as much.
What is your opinion on this matter?

I think you would only notice the 5hp difference if you did bush hogging with a 6' cutter in TALL and HEAVY weeds or had a high pto demand like a high kw generator. I am not sure what the difference is in loaders, but there is nothing I have not been able to pick up in the 6' bucket of my LA724 loader. I am a seasoned operator, and I still use the auto-throttle, H-DS, HST response control, and occasionally stall guard. Sure, I am pushing the L3940, but that is because I have one and have driven others and find the Grand L series tractors to be the most useful to operate. My advise, drive both tractors before making your decision, then don't look back. Philip.

Attachments

• BUSHHOG1.jpg
    BUSHHOG1.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 609
  • FEL01.jpg
    FEL01.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 496
Last edited:
   / Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #23  
I chose my 2004 Case DX45 over the Kubota primarily because it just felt more comfortable for me driving it. To me the layout of the HST and brake pedals on opposite sides was a big plus. I use the brakes for traction control and steering quite frequently when clearing snow. The sloped hood on the Case also gives better visibility and I just liked the layout of the operator controls and seat better. Keep in mined that I was comparing back in 2004 and think the Kubotas have changed. My opinion is not just brand loyalty as I do have a Kubota L39 TLB as well, but that is a different use tractor. As others have said, you really need to try both tractors to see which is the best fit for you. Even if you have to drive a few hours to see the Kubota it would be worth it before making such a purchase.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #24  
Margaret, I own a New Holland TC45D that is the blue brother to the Case-Farmall DX45. These tractors have engines built by Shibaura in Japan and are assembled in NH's plant in Georgia. The loaders are built in Canada by ALO-Quicke. That company has been building loaders for a long time and makes good products. There are three tractors built on a similar frame size with different engines. The models are DX35, DX40, DX45. The DX35 has a 3-cylinder engine and the DX40/45 both have a 4-cylinder engine. The DX40 engine is the Shibaura N844 and the DX45 is the N844L. The "L" means the DX45 has a slightly longer stroke.

The HST transmission used on these three tractors is exactly the same and has exactly the same relief pressures. That means the DX35 and DX40 have the same pulling power as the DX45 as long as their engine does not stall. When you reach the point where the transmission goes into relief, extra horsepower does you no good.

The hydraulic pump on the DX40 is set to exactly the same pressure as the DX45. That means the DX40's 3PH and loader will have exactly the same lift capability as the DX45. The specs show this is true. The only measurable difference between the DX40 and DX45 is the PTO horsepower. If you need added power for a bigger cutter or other PTO implement, then the DX45 would be an advantage. Otherwise, there is no advantage to the DX45 over the DX40. You could make an argument that the stronger engine on the DX45 will handle jobs without being taxed to the maximum. That might be true, but it will probably take 50 years for that difference to mean anything as far as how long the tractor will last. It's kinda like saying that infinity + 1 is bigger than infinity.:rolleyes:

I really love my New Holland TC45D. All the features people have discussed are really great for productive use. I have 1700 hours on my tractor that I bought in Feb. 2001. The rabbit/turtle switch on the loader joystick is one of my favorite features. You can also add three (3) hydraulic remotes to the DX45. I have all three on my TC45D and use two for top-n-tilt on the 3PH and the remaining one is piped to the front loader for use with my grapple. I believe the L3940 Kubota may be limited to two. I hope the Kubota experts will correct me if I am wrong.

I would encourage you to be patient and look until you can find and test drive a L3940. I just think it is too important to jump on a deal before you have a chance to make a comparison for yourself. I'd search for Kubota dealers until I found one. If you test both tractors, you will know what is best for you. If you don't, you may always wonder. You won't go wrong with either tractor, but you may be happier with your decision after a little more research.:thumbsup:

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #25  
I believe the L3940 Kubota may be limited to two. I hope the Kubota experts will correct me if I am wrong.QUOTE]

You can get 3 hydraulic remotes on the Grand Lxx40 series. Philip.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST
Guys, I need to clarify something here. I am a guy. My name is not Margaret. I've posted several topics comparing tractors since I joined this forum a few weeks ago. So, in Ray Stevens fashion I said "Its me again Margaret" as a joke. :D :laughing: LOL!

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #27  
Guys, I need to clarify something here. I am a guy. My name is not Margaret. I've posted several topics comparing tractors since I joined this forum a few weeks ago. So, in Ray Stevens fashion I said "Its me again Margaret" as a joke. :D :laughing: LOL!

Well, we were helping you decide on a tractor, not asking you for a date. So it doesn't really matter.;):laughing: Besides, if you don't tell us your real name, I just may continue callin' you Marge or Maggie.:D

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #28  
Is there a don't ask don't tell policy here on TBN? :D:laughing: Every post here telling you to do an actual usage comparison makes sense. This decision will stay with you a long time. Good luck.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #29  
Realizing this is a 4 year old thread, just wanted to give my opinion for anyone else considering similar used units at this point. My dad had a 2005 Case DX35 we used for mostly residential chores involving tilling, loader work, some brush hogging, and church hay rides :). Occasionally did some landscaping work with it for commercial/volunteer type jobs. We chose the DX coming from (2) Deere models (a 2520 and then a 3320) because it was built heavier in the same hp range, especially in the loader mount department. To be fair, the DX35 was a class larger than the Deere 3320, but with similar HP ratings and overall a better value for the $ in our opinion. I worked at a Deere dealership in my college years and helped sell both Deere's to my dad, so hopefully I'm not too biased. My uncle has an early 2000's Kubota Grand L 3010 with glide shift transmission that is a fantastic transmission if you want a gear, and I wish it was offered in the industry more today. Much like a powershift on larger farm tractors. I don't have much working experience with newer Kubota tractors, but we do preferred the "twin" pedals of the Class III Case/NH/Shibaura design over the "treddle" hydro pedal from Kubota (and others). Brake pedal location was not a consideration initially, but it proved handy to have them on the left so you could brake-steer if necessary while moving. Dad sold the DX35 due to some perceived financial reasons and I wish my brother and I could have purchased it from him before we knew what he'd sold it for (low wholesale to a jokey)...don't get me started! Haha. I can appreciate elements of each major brand out there, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy another Shibaura-built CNH today. Simple tractor, great ergonomics and line-of-sight, very capable and comfortable tractor for what we did with it. Hope you enjoy whichever purchase you made!
Thanks,
Matthew