Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #1  

rebelback

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 Case Farmall 45 HST
Its me again Margaret. I thought I had it all figured out on what tractor I wanted until Saturday. I'd looked at the Mahindra 4035 and really liked it and the price, but no dealer network around here which left me with my other option. A Kubota L3940 HST. Well, I finally made it to my local dealer Saturday. Without haggling (that comes later when I get serious ;) ) he cut me a good deal on an L3940 with FEL. He also deals Case IH so I asked about a Farmall 40. He said how about a 45 since I have one of those already on the lot. I said sure. I figured the price wouldn't be comparable since I'm stepping up a model in the Case line. It turned out the Case Farmall 45 HST with FEL was only $60 more than the L3940 with FEL.
Now I'm at a crossroads. I can't decide if the extra features of the Kubota will benefit me more than the extra HP and lifting capacity of the Case.
I asked the salesman and the dealer manager. They both said they'd pick the Case. I'm sure it helps them since it is on the lot and the L3940 would have to be ordered, but they didn't even mention Case until I brought them up. They were happy letting me buy the Kubota until I wanted to look at Case. I've never owned a tractor, but I'm thinking they may be right. I figure the Kubota features may benefit me a whole lot early on, but once I become seasoned at operating the tractor they won't benefit me near as much.
What is your opinion on this matter?

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #2  
im not gonna try to sway you 1 way or the other,so im gonna tell you my thoughts.my kobota dealer sales case as well.i looked at a case tractor but didnt like it all.an then i looked at the kubota an liked it very much,alot more than i did the case.go back in the shop an ask the head machanic wich tractor he works on the most an then decide.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #3  
I own an older version of the NH equivelant(TC45D) to the tractor you are talking about. The NH and Case tractors are essentially the same, with only minor differences(essentially paint).

I haven't ever driven that big of a Kubota, but I can tell you that I can't imagine a major improvement to the overall configuration of the NH/Case class III hst's. My only knock on them would be their safety systems(seat switch, etc.) that prevent one from starting the tractor if everything isn't just right, but after that system has been troubleshot once, you really won't have an issue again.

The Case will not have the electronically controlled transmission/engine(which I think the kubota does have). Some would say this is a knock against the Case, but I wouldn't. The Case direct HST control is very responsive, and running it becomes completely natural. I could see my tractor still running(with me on it) in 50 years.

If the Case really does have a greater lift capacity than the the Kubota(I am a bit suprised), that would also be a significant consideration. I run out of lifting capacity far more often than I run out of horsepower.

That 8N that I previously linked to is the fraternal twin of the Case you are considering.

Chris
PS When I was looking at tractors, two separate dealers said, before I indicated what I was looking for, "Are you willing to consider anything other than Orange?". It was kinda funny because I was looking specifically for the (Case) tractor you are considering. Apparently, the main buyers for the Case/NH small tractors were farmers, and trying to sell them to non-farmers was a tough deal, and they didn't even try unless there was some indication that the buyer was flexible.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #4  
Pretty much agree with bigbull338, not going to try to sway you one way or the other. We owned a Case for twelve years and didn't care for it. I don't care for Case tractors, but some people don't care for Kubotas. Case/NH makes nice looking tractors and I am sure they are good machines, just not for me.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #5  
Yeah, you definitely haven't made a comparison yet since the Kubota wasn't sitting there to try out. Would be great if you could find a dealership that had both available.

As for bells and whistles, depends on what they are. Things like extendable lower lift arms, comfortable seat, tilt steering wheel, all become more useful with age, not less useful. The electronics of the new Kubota HST+ is very useful if you are not mechanically inclined. My Brother's L3240HST cannot be overloaded when it's activated. I tease him that a monkey can operate it.

Then to go to the big debate issue on this forum, can you use the individual wheel brakes and the HST at the same time?? My Brother In Law's NH you cannot. My Brother's L3240HST you can.

I think calmness is in order. Since you aren't familiar with tractors you probably should be very patient when shopping/buying.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #6  
Yeah, you definitely haven't made a comparison yet since the Kubota wasn't sitting there to try out. Would be great if you could find a dealership that had both available.

As for bells and whistles, depends on what they are. Things like extendable lower lift arms, comfortable seat, tilt steering wheel, all become more useful with age, not less useful. The electronics of the new Kubota HST+ is very useful if you are not mechanically inclined. My Brother's L3240HST cannot be overloaded when it's activated. I tease him that a monkey can operate it.

Then to go to the big debate issue on this forum, can you use the individual wheel brakes and the HST at the same time?? My Brother In Law's NH you cannot. My Brother's L3240HST you can.

I think calmness is in order. Since you aren't familiar with tractors you probably should be very patient when shopping/buying.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #7  
We sell both as well. I'd not consider the two comparable as far as reliability although there are many owners who have them red or blue that are happy with them even needing a higher rate of repairs. Don't get me wrong, there are other makes that people like that need more work yet!

There are also differences in the hydro's and the Kubota with electronics or not is a step above the unit offered by CNH.

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #8  
I was in your shoes the fall of 2009. I started looking at Kubota and ended up with a Case IH DX45 (Farmall) HST with Cab and FEL. The cab was one of the selling points of the Case tractor over the Kubota with the cab, I really like the Cab on the DX45. It's larger and has a window(skylight) over head that is great with the loader. The other selling point is there are alot of farmers around here that have newer Case Tractors. I stoped and asked six or seven different owners if they were happy with the case tractors and they all said yes. I have 154 hours on my DX45 and am very happy with it.:) I agree with what every one else said about test drive both and go with what you like. These are both good tractors. The dealer I bought my Case IH from also sells Kubota. Good luck:thumbsup:

/ Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST
Do your opinions change when you find out the Case is now $3,000 cheaper? I think it may have just made the decision for me.

Last edited:
   / Case IH Farmall 45 HST vs Kubota L3940HST #10  
I don't think you could go wrong with either. I would try to find someone with an L-series Kubota that you could drive to compare how it feels compared to the Case. I've got a Farmall 45 HST w/cab and have been very happy with it. Just over 600 hrs so far.