Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #11  
Hey, Welcome to TBN! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

What part of the country are you in? A little more info in your profile might help us spend your money more efficiently /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=blue>a new tractor that we hope to find in the next week since we're both off for the holidays.
</font color=blue>

Slow down. Take more time to go out and test drive several makes and models. You might save yourself some money by making a more informed decision and getting the tractor that best fits your family's needs.

Whatever size you decide to go with, I'd recommend hydro for the needs that you mentioned. Just from my own experience, hydros are very easy on the operator, are easier to operate, and seem safer to me. Put your dad on one and see how he likes it vs a gear.

Good luck in your search. Let us know how it's going. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #12  
I would also recommend the hydro. I had gear tractors before, which I liked but the hydro I love!. As mentioned
earlier just have the proper sized machine for your needs.
Good luck in your search!

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #13  
If I had a tractor to share three ways, I would definately want a hydro. Safer for the operators (who may not all be as familiar with the operation) and easier on the equipment....

You might want to look at the used equipment sections on Deere and New Holland sites. You can get a look at some low hours machines, often with implements at nearby dealers....

Here's Deere's: New Holland's is somewhere on their site, too.

I don't know of an orange flavor...

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #14  
I'd agree with MossRoad. Having had both geared and hydro, I like the hydro and have never been in a situation where I missed the HP. For me, the preference is less of a safety issue (you eventually find your routine with either type) than a convenience issue. With the hydro I'm able to really finesse things and it lets me do better quality work in close quarters like in the woods or around outbuildings.

Hope this helps.

Pete

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #15  
As a dealer, a major part of my job is to help people get the right tractor. Most of our customers are fairly new to tractorin' and it seems that the biggest misconception is that they need a bigger tractor. For what you are doing, I would definitly stay with a B-series. The biggest problem you would have with an L2600 would be the lack of live power to the PTO. This means that to stop the tractor or change gears, you are also stopping the PTO(and your mower). If you want to go with an economy model, make sure you have a 2-stage clutch. The Kubota L3000 is the next size up from the 2600 and has a 2-stage clutch. If its a hydro, there's not a problem. I think the smaller frame size would be much to your advantage. Good luck with your purchasing!!
Christa

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice
Thanks to everybody for the responses. Ya'll really helped alot, there was alot of good points and comments made.

Somebody asked where we we're from (I didnt take the time to file out the profile thing)....East Texas.

I did buy the book, and it was alot of help and straight to the point with answers.

We may have to look hard for a low-hour used model, but I think we may definatly go no less than 27hp with 4wdr and Hydro tranny with FEL. After a little more research and reading all your post I'm set on finding a B2710 or something comparable to it......maybe in a differant color. I don't know why we've only consintrated on Kubota so far, other than it was recommended by several people and was the first few dealers we talked seriously to and picked up broshures from.
Ya'll confirmed what I was thinking, the Hydro allows you to drive and operate the FEL at the same time and in one motion instead of fumbling back and forth with controls and only doing one at a time (for a newbie anyway). And moving around all those tree's should be a little easier when your back in the woods with 20ft or so of tractor and emplements moving around.

There was a comment as to who gets to drive and how many seats might need to be installed........ My brother and I have allready been fighting over tractor time and we dont even have one yet. I'm the oldest 32, he's 26, besides the tractor barn is in my back yard......sorry about his luck.

Anyway, any suggestions on something comparable to the orange B2710, let me know.

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #17  
<font color=blue>Anyway, any suggestions on something comparable to the orange B2710, let me know. </font color=blue>

The new B7800 might be worth looking into if you want to stay with Kubota.

Other options from the Big Three are:

New Holland TC29D or TC33D (29 & 33 HP)

John Deere 4210 or 4310 (28 & 32 HP)

www.newholland.com

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice
Thanks, I'll check those out. I'm fixing to go check their sight but I dont think kubota has anything posted on the new B7800
I think I read somewhere in the forum that 7800 is suppose to be cheaper. My dad told me earlier today that he was calling some more area kubota dealers checking on low hour used B-series and one of them said something about the new 2003 - B7800 that he had on order but havent received yet. Do you know what the main differances will be between B7800 and B2710 on price and features?

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #19  
<font color=blue>Do you know what the main differances will be between B7800 and B2710 on price and features? </font color=blue>

Sorry, don't remember any of the details. Do a search (link is on top of TBN page) for b7800. Lots of threads will come up

Or check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.carverequipment.com/b2710_b7800_b2910_order_form.htm>carverequipment B series </A>

Oh as a new holland owner, I guess I should plug the TC30 (New Holland's Economy 30 HP tractor). It's available with Hydro as well. Again, a search here will turn up lots of info.

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #20  
Do yourselves a big favor. Get the hydro. When you get into tight situations(trees) it is far easier to control. Plus, it is more user friendly. I can drive my 4310 w/5 ft shredder in some really tight spots. It is so easy to not have to change gears to speed up and slow down in the tight stuff. Pick your dealer first, then worry about what type of tractors they sell. The 3 colors all offer what you need. I would recommend getting at least a 30 Hp or more. Otherwise, you'll just have another riding mower. You can find used older stuff, some good, some really bad. Luckily, they do hold their value fairly well. You might save a few thousand on a 3 year old model, but you may lose that much in higher interest rates, no warranty etc. A good dealer will sell you a used machine and back it up for a short term.
What city are you near? I'm in Texas too. There are many dealers who will take your money if all you are worried about is price. How long have they been in business? What are their service rates? Look at their parts counter, do they stock much stuff? See how much they charge for some common items, oil, grease, hardware, etc. Do they rent implements? How far away are they?
Price all 3 with as close to exact options. Account for any options that one brand may not offer. You may be surprised which color ends up cheapest. Interest rates affect final price.
Good luck, January is a good time to deal.
Kyle