Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #1  

OutDoorsman

I've been reading some of your forum the last couple days and have seen many post by newbie tractor buyers looking for advice....and there seems to be alot of knowlegable tractor owners on here with answers. Thought I'd give it a try, here's my story...

My dad and I both built homes last year and we just finished building a 24 x 32 shed to house a new tractor that we hope to find in the next week since we're both off for the holidays.

Our lots are ajoining each other and share a property line while my brother lives a couple lots down. All three properties are 12.5 acres each and are about 285ft wide (road frontage) by about 1900ft deep for a total of about 36 acres. Its all pretty thick wooded with sandy soil. I'm about 450ft back, my dad about 250ft back, and by brother about 500ft.
At this point I guess we're primarly buying a tractor to finish mow the immediate yard areas, brush hog the front of the properties (from the houses down to the road), push dead timber around to burn and general clean up duties & fenceing. My brother and I also have 450-500ft gravel roads to maintain and I also wanted to clean a trail following all the way around the back of me and my dads (25 acres together) property to walk, ATV or maybe my daughter to ride a horse in the future. My immediate finish mow yard area is probably about an acre and my brother and dad about a 1/2 acre each, as far as brush hoging on down to the road my dad and I have about 3 acres fairly wooded and my brother about 2 acres of open pasture, which at this point is the only open pasture area on any of the properties. We probably have about 6 or 7 acres we plan to work right now and who knows what the future holds for the rest of the back woods other than a few trails.
I understand Kubota is the leader with JD and NH on there heals but its seems the common thought on this forum is that it dosnt matter as long as its orange, green or blue.
Right now we're looking hard at Kubota and wanting to stay in a 14k - 15k price range at the most. We've agreed 4wdr and FEL is a must. We started out leaning toward the L2600 27hp and concentrate on getting the most HP for the buck. But now I'm strongly considering B2410 24hp with a few more features and a smaller frame for getting around the trees and I want a finish mower so I can mow both our yards fast and easy both now and when he gets to old to handle his own, not to mention I've allready wrecked a smaller walmart mower that I used clearing for the house and yard with. The Hydro what-ever trans sounds good too and I'm thinking R4 tires would be good with the FEL and sandy soil but easier on the lawns. (I dont think you can even get R4's on the L2600) We've never had a tractor so I don't know how to guage how much horse power we need or what to expect from a certain HP or frame/wt size. I guess one of the main questions too is if and what we might someday do with the back woods. My dad seems to worry about the HP size and I'm thinking if we ever did anything with it we would need to hire in a bull dozer anyway and whatever we bought would maintain it once it was initialy established. If we need more HP and R1's thats fine, but if ends up just mainly setting in the barn then I would have just as sooned the investment covered our finish mowing needs too instead of keep soaking $$$'s into cheap yard tractors.
Anyway we're wanting 4wdr, FEL, mid-mount finish mower??, brush hog and box blade. I know this is steep for 14-15k max budget so we may have to go with a newer used or wait on some of the emplements, but we definatly want a dependable and appropriate machine.
I apologize for rambling so much, I'm just so confused?!?
So what do ya'll think...make, model, HP, Hydro or not, tires, emplements ect.???

Thanks in advance

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #2  
Seems you done your home work..yikes.

Top of the page TBN offers a store section,look in there for a book call..Compact Tractor Buying & Basic..has lot of great info..you won't be sorry. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #3  
I agree with Thomas that Muhammad's book would be a good investment. Now for personal opinion . . . you'll be hard pressed to find new equipment in your price range, but if you can raise that a bit . . .. I'd definitely go with the 4WD, hydro tranny, and FEL to start with (I gave $15,500 for a new 1999 B2710). For a brush hog, prices vary considerably with different brands and whether you use a light, medium, or heavy duty one, and you may be able to find a decent used one, although good used ones in the 5' size (plus or minus a foot) are scarce in my part of the country. I think you're also going to want a box blade in the near future. As for finish mowers, they're expensive but a rear mower is cheaper than a mid-mount, easier to hook up and unhook, can be backed under bushes, low limbs, etc. and can be used on other tractors (if you should decide to trade tractors someday). Disadvantages are having to look behind you at times and the fact that they swing out in the opposite direction of turns (you quickly get used to that). Overall, that would be my preference. R4 and turf tires are easier on a lawn, if you have a "manicured" lawn and soft terrain, but for everything else you mentioned, you'll be happier with the R1s, which is what I always had and preferred. My place was clay and was quite firm, so I had no complaints with the R1s on the lawn; your experience may be different.

Good luck with your shopping.

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #4  
Do not be too quick to write of the non-major brands. There are some awfully good choices out there coming from Korea,vs the majors from Japan(or using Japanese components and technology) Brands like Mahindra,Century/Branson,Kioti,Long are all very good choices to consider.

As for your tranny choice, I think in the future you'll see both types from most if not all of the brands. Try both types out thoroughly before you make a choice.

Take your time,test every type of tractor more than once before you choose. If you are not comfortable on it,or it does not feel right do not buy it,no matter who makes it!! Also do not buy into the marketing hype of certain brands!! Just because it is made by brandX and they sell the most,does not make it the best tractor for you!! Always remember you do not have to be the biggest to be the best!!

As for hp.........I've always figured it is better to have the power and not need it,then to need it and not have it!!

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #5  
The idea of bringing in larger equipment when required is a very good one as " one tractor does all" is very difficult to find.
HP is important for rotating attachments. For moving dirt etc. traction [ meaning weight and size ] is more important.

The tractor FEL combination would be my first consideration and purchase if all can not be done at once. They would take priority and delay the aquisition of other impliments.

For the jobs you wish to use the tractor for the hydro may be a more feasable choice. Four wheel drive is a must.

Chances are the r4 tires would work better on sand based lawns. Otherwise the r1 would be my preference. Remember chains can always be added and do make a difference.

Make and colour of tractor and implements are beyond my capabilities for any advice. Just be sure they are all colour coordinated and come with cap and coveralls that match!!!!!
Have fun shopping. Do a lot of looking, ask really stupid questions and enjoy the shopping.

Egon

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #6  
Two years ago I could have written your post. We had just bought 23 acres of meadow, woods, ravines and streams. I started out looking at the smaller orange 30 hp tractors and the 4200 Deere. I found a wonderful dealership that answered all my newbie questions and pushed me to look at the 4300.

Orange was a nice machine but I just felt more comfortable on the Deere but in any case if you want to go orange look at the bigger framed 30+ HP models like the 3100.

My 4300 has never been too big but it has been too small for a few jobs. The units you are looking at are going to work hard to do what the heavier machine can do with ease. The lifting capacity is what finally sold me on the 4300 size machine.

The budget is always important but as my neighbor a large scale farmer said if you buy too small it will cost you in the end when you upgrade. His advise was to find what you need and go one size bigger. It sounds like you are going to be doing a lot of work with the unit and keeping it for a long time. So get what you need in the first place then you will be happy with it.

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #7  
Don't be so caught by the hydro, trans. i believe if you have ever used a shuttle shift you will like it better. why give up power? also i own a kioti and my buddy owns a kubota bx 2200 he paid the same as me and has 10 less hp.

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #8  
So who gets to drive the tractor????? Mebee ya need to find one with three seats on it!!!!!

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #9  
If your like most of us you will always wonder if you should have got a larger tractor. I was at my tractor dealership this summer having them help me with a 3-pt cement mixer I was having problems with. I have a NH TC33D and saw a TC35D sitting back in the shop. Man, that was a beautiful machine. I couldn't believe how small it made my little 33 look. A while later as I was leaving I asked my dealer how much more it would have cost me to get into the 35 vs. my 33. He thought for a moment and then told me "around a couple of grand". I was instantly thinking that for the price of a couple implements I could have had that big beautiful tractor. Then my dealer (who has seen my property) said "you couldn't maneuver a larger tractor through your woods, your pushing it with your 33". He's right I can barely get down the paths that I have made through my woods as it is. When you have a FEL on front and a rotary cutter on back, that is a big piece of equipment. I'm only posting because it sounds as if you and your family have quite a bit of woods to deal with. I looked long and hard to find wooded acreage last year when we bought this place. I don't mind clearing out some of the small stuff but I don't want to live in an open field.

/ Another Newbie Needing Tractor buying advice #10  
<font color=blue>Don't be so caught by the hydro, trans. i believe if you have ever used a shuttle shift you will like it better. why give up power?</font color=blue>

Sometimes I find it confusing when it is mentioned that there is a "power loss" or less usable horse power on an HST vs a gear transmission. It makes it sound like when you step on the go pedal, less happens, or it is a dog.

It is true that a gear transmission will deliver more of the engine power to the rear wheels than an HST transmission behind the same engine. From previous discussions on TBN, it appears that the loss is not that big of a percentage.

Looking at it from my point of view and experience, if you buy an HST tractor that is designed and rated to do the tasks that you need it to do, it will do them. With an HST your hands can stay on the steering wheel more of the time. Your right hand can be operating the loader, the left hand steering and the feet changing directions. With a gear, you have to let go of the wheel to shift or change directions. I never have to take my hand off of the wheel on either of my hydro tractors. Also, there is very little to no braking needed when operating a hydro tractor because they stop automatically when you take your foot off of the pedals. I find both of these features(hands on wheel and less braking) not only safer, but less tiring at the end of the day. IMHO, get the biggest engine you can afford with an HST for most typical CUT activities.