Rim Guard Ballast

/ Rim Guard Ballast #2  
Any thoughts on the product- Rim Guard- used to load tires?

Thanks

It has weight, though not quite as much as calcium chloride, is non corrosive (guarding your rims), is biodegradable according to the guy at the tire shop.
Cost's about the same. Most of the expense in adding ballast is not the product itself, but in the labor involved in getting it into or out of your tires. They charge in both directions plus a disposal fee.

Dennis

/ Rim Guard Ballast #3  
It has weight, though not quite as much as calcium chloride, is non corrosive (guarding your rims), is biodegradable according to the guy at the tire shop.
Cost's about the same. Most of the expense in adding ballast is not the product itself, but in the labor involved in getting it into or out of your tires. They charge in both directions plus a disposal fee.

Dennis

CaCl is a lot cheaper per pound, but there is the corrosion issue.
Of course, there have been a lot of tractors with CaCl in the tires for decades with no rust through.

Main thing, Jim...get those tires filled!

/ Rim Guard Ballast
Dealer is "throwing it in". I just wouldn't bother if there is a better option.

/ Rim Guard Ballast #5  
   / Rim Guard Ballast #6  
Cast weights you never loose no matter how many times you have flat tires!!!!

Fluid in tires does hurt traction when compared to liquid filled tires in ag work.. It takes about 3/4's the weight of cast to equal the same in liquid.

Just an option!

Calcium is about 1/2 to 2/3rds the price of rim gaurd.

Last edited:
   / Rim Guard Ballast #7  
Cast weights you never loose no matter how many times you have flat tires!!!!

Fluid in tires does hurt traction when compared to liquid filled tires in ag work.. It takes about 3/4's the weight of cast to equal the same in liquid.

Just an option!

Calcium is about 1/2 to 2/3rds the price of rim gaurd.

Hi Art...
jjmjones got the rimgard as a freebie from the dealer, so he's good to go.

Art, you might want to review what you wrote(bolded font). I think you said the same thing twice.

/ Rim Guard Ballast #9  
I just bought a new tractor and will definitely go with Rim Guard. We are having trouble getting it were I live (Okanagan region of BC). My tractor should be here late next week and I will take delivery with no ballast. The tire dealer in Salmon Arm will have Rim Guard the next week and send a service truck to my place to install it onsite. That's an advantage of Rim Guard since they don't have to install tubes.

There is another product available Bio-Tire Ballast which is starting to compete with Rim Guard. That is also available in my area but the dealer is out of stock. In the US it is handled by some Les Schwab dealers.

I looked at two different dealers (Kubota and Kioti) and was surprised they were not aware of beet juice ballast. Both said they intend to recommend it.

I prefer beet juice to calcium for the peace of mind of not having an environmental problem in the event of a puncture.

I think beet juice will become more popular as awareness increases.

/ Rim Guard Ballast #10