Need a new zero turn mower.

/ Need a new zero turn mower. #1  

flyingdutch16

Tractor
Craftsman Lt 2000
Hey guys,

I finally got enough customers to mow lawns for, now its time to buy a zero turn mower.

I found a exmark lazer zhp 50" deck on craigslist for 2800 dollars its from 2002 and has 2100 hrs on it. Now it has been privately owned. But i dont know if the mower will hold up for another 3 years?

Ive also been looking into to the John Deere Eztrak 425 series.

Would the exmark be a good buy since its fairly cheap and still a comercial grader mower?

Hope to have some feedback.

/ Need a new zero turn mower. #2  
wow.. 2100 hours is a lot.

I just bought a demo exmark with 90 hours on it. Saved about a little over a thousand off new.

Still not cheap. But 2100 hours is asking a lot. There's a lot of sealed bearings and such that are meant to be used... but at that kind of age may be used up.

may be one of those deals where a little up front costs means only more costs to keep it going.

A new homeowner model... if cared for and used by you only, may give you a lot better longevity than an old machine that MAY have had a hard life.

Tough choice.

JP

/ Need a new zero turn mower. #3  
2100 hours in 9 years. That's commercial hours there. My Hustler gets about 25 hrs a year cutting my 2 acres.

/ Need a new zero turn mower. #4  
Hey guys,

I finally got enough customers to mow lawns for, now its time to buy a zero turn mower.

I found a exmark lazer zhp 50" deck on craigslist for 2800 dollars its from 2002 and has 2100 hrs on it. Now it has been privately owned. But i dont know if the mower will hold up for another 3 years?

Ive also been looking into to the John Deere Eztrak 425 series.

Would the exmark be a good buy since its fairly cheap and still a comercial grader mower?

Hope to have some feedback.
What engine?

IMHO, the JD EZ track 400 series will not hold up to commercial work. They are inexpensive for a reason.

Ex has a good reputation and testimony throughout the industry.

2002 w/ 2100 hrs is average of ~230 hours per year. Good engine, good maintenance (records would be nice), and I'd certainly expect it to last another 3 years if it were mine. Test mow with it and a compression check will also help with decision factors. Compression checks are easy.

My final decision would be based on the engine make.

$2800 seems a little low in comparison. Be cautious of a Craiglist scam.

Life left in tires? 75%, 50% ??

Last edited:
   / Need a new zero turn mower. #5  
Like others said 2100 hours is a lot on the meter and the home owner model JD probably will not hold up. There are some great deals out there. Last summer in July, I bought a demo scag last year for about $1K less than sticker, it had 15 hours and has a 19hp kawaski motor and 48 deck. You could go with a freedom series from scag about $5K new, or Bad boy from Tractor Supply with 60" deck and kohler motor with electric lift for $4,999.95 or an Ariens 60" with 26 hp kawaski from Home Depot also about %K. Also on a new zero turn mower there is some great financing like 3.55% over 60 months meaning low payments and you do not get ate up with interest charges. Best of luck with your search. :)

/ Need a new zero turn mower.
thanks for the replies guys, and i realized 2100 hrs is to much.

I found a bad boy with only 178hrs from the year 2010

2010 Bad Boy 50" Zero Turn Mower theres the link

and was wondering if this machine would be any good. from what ive read it seems to me to be a prettty decent and solid piece of equipment.

Hope to have some responses
thanks guys

/ Need a new zero turn mower. #7  
A new Hustler will run you about 4k with a kawasaki. Get a canister filter system with it and you will be good to hook :thumbsup:

/ Need a new zero turn mower. #8  
The bad boy is in the pics is probably a good machine,but not as heavy duty as the exmarks. Don't know how it will hold up for commercial use.Bad boys do have some commercial mowers ,but not the ones at TSC .Exmarks are expensive ,but they do hold up well. I have had mine almost 10 years with only routine maint. It has just over 500 hrs.:)

/ Need a new zero turn mower. #9  
The Bad Boy mowers look to be pretty well built. I'm not to keen about the electric deck adjustment..seems something expensive to fix. The price is not too far off.

I will second the Hustler recommendation. My FasTrack is a hellofa mower! But I don't think you'll get a new one for 4 grand.

Exmark, Scag, Bobcat, Toro Commercial, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, Ferris are all good machines. Look around at what the pro landscapers in you area are using.

/ Need a new zero turn mower. #10  
I agree with richamor about the Hustler price. I just bought a Hustler Sport with Kawasaki 22 HP engine earlier this month for $4200. I looked at the Fastrak, but it was $5600 fitted with the same engine. No doubt a sturdier mower, though.

Jay